• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1st ever cavitation issue

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yesterday on the northern Chesapeake, I was hanging around in the water in front of the ramp, idling in about 4 ft of water as my brother in law was removing his boat from the water to jump on mine. I put the engines into reverse and immediately knew I had sucked something up. This was my first experience with it, and was mentally preparing for the worst. Luckily, I was right next to the marina of a friend, pulled in, pulled the port side plug and removed what was a ridiculously small twig. It was literally an inch long and 1/8 inch thick. Simply pushed it past the impeller & it was good to go! I had tried the reverse/forward method to try to unclog it a few times so it may have had more in there prior to pulling the plug. I would have been really worked up if I had a boat without the plugs and had to pull it out of the water for something so small! It was such a minor issue and so easily resolved, it makes me love my boat even more. Great day on the boat yesterday, with many more to come.

that's a good reason to keep your clean out plugs in good working order, saves a lot of time! glad it worked out for you,

As time goes on, you will be amazed at how it acts when you ingest stuff, and you will. Stay out of the sand and rocks!!! We have had a few guys report that they have made sushi out of a shallow swimming fish or two! Now that is nasty! But as @Scottintexas says, keep the plugs working good so you can get stuff out fast. You will occasionally find a twig like you had, wedged between the impeller and the liner...that you can't see or feel. But you have cavitation and know it. Sometimes you will have to pull a pump to get it out, but on some of those situations, when the twig dries out, it falls out when you start again. And for no explained reason (other than that), it works normally again. But all in all, the plugs are great for 90% of the cleanout issues. Glad you got it out and knew what to do!

Glad you found the issue. I am always amazed at how small of an item can cause cavitation or noise. Cam.

or vibration!

Back