• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2.3L EcoBoost and EcoJet by Indmar

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Why wouldn't companies like Yamaha put a larger, more economical engine to power the jets? Something that is quieter, with possible gearing so they don't have to rev at 8000 rpm's. LIke what they are doing above. If you want twin jets, then 1 shaft coming off of engine to a gearbox that will power two impellers.
It's all about the physics - loading and friction are the main issues...it takes torque and hp to turn props or impellers in water to create thrust, and to overcome friction. Unfortunately adding a second impeller or prop off the same engine cuts the power of the engine in half, not double it.

If it was as easy as putting a 6-speed tranny in a boat, all boats would do 200mph with a single 50hp motor. But that's not possible with our technology and physics of water. I believe the Indmar engine they use is not geared, it's direct drive into a jetpump housing just like our boats. I know they talk about it being an Ecoboost engine, but it's nothing like the motor in a Ford car.

In very high hp scenarios it is possible to use high torque to overcome the friction once on plane - such as the massive 600hp V12 Mercury. But even that monster only has a slight bump in gear ratio, not a 6-speed tranny.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
when running up river it is common to see 2.3’ of water.
Is that from your depth gauge or a chart? If it's anything like some of my waterways in the summer heat, the weeds can grow thick enough to trigger my default 2.8' depth warnings even though it's 6-8ft in those areas.