• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2000 Challenger Charging system Capacity

Seadoo4me

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Other
I'm interested in adding an audio system (no amplifier) and 2 LED headlights to my boat. The amperage draw is fairly low, like 3 amps for the stereo and maybe 5 amps for the lights. Is this feasible or not ?

Mercury Mike

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I have 2 amplifiers, 8 separate coaxial speakers, flood lights, a PA system, and 2 AGM batteries on our 2000 speedster with the generation 1 merc 240efi.

Just install a battery selector switch and dual bank battery maintainer and you’ll be fine.

Good quality batteries will last forever if they’re well maintained.

We can get 3 days worth of loud music on the beach off a single battery.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe the charging stator puts out 6 amps max there are 3 fields each one is 2 amps that engine is actually an outboard power head converted for a jet drive

Mercury Mike

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
The updated 240efi (circa 2002-2003?) had an alternator.

If you don’t want to plug in at the dock every evening, then maybe you can upgrade to the alternator.

But I haven’t had any issues over the last 10 years...

Seadoo4me

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Other
Serious gear there Mike I'm jealous ! I think a second deep cycle battery makes the most sense for this boat since upgrading the charging system isn't possible. I'll wire in a auxiliary fuse block and go from there I guess. Thanks guys !!

Mercury Mike

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
All you need to add is a Perko Dual Battery Selector Switch. I also installed a dual battery onboard charger so that I don’t have to lug a separate battery charger around...

Here’s the amazon link for the Perko Selector:

Amazon.com : Perko 8501DP Battery Selector Switches : Powersports Switches : Automotive

Here is the amazon link for the onboard dual bank battery charger:

Seadoo4me

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Other
Unfortunately I just installed a Noco single bank charger, 4A. Since Seadoo offered a dealer installed "basic" audio system I think I'll be ok running a basic non-amplified system. When I add lighting I'll have to change that undoubtedly. Thanks for the advice and eye candy !!

Pete