• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2000 Sugar Sand Tango blown engine

Marlowe2941

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I am looking at buying a 2000 Sugar Sand Tango with a 175 hp Merc. The boat has a blown engine, bad crank and 2 bad pistons. that is all I know. Does anyone know if parts are still readily available for these engines? the guy wants $1,500 for the boat. Assuming the rest of the boat is in good shape is it worth buying? Once up and running are thee good boats?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a group section here on the board--might be best to post there for the specifics of it being a good boat once it is running, etc.

Blown engine, bad crank and 2 bad pistons sounds like either a major rebuild or new engine time. Might want to locate one of those (either used or a crate engine) and price that out before you pull the trigger on this boat. Merc's are not uncommon, so it is possible, I would think. But unless you have a donor or an engine lined up and know the cost for that (and we know it will be a fair bit of work to put it in, of course), you may not be able to make a good guess at your bottom line to know whether $1500 is good or not for this hull.

Marlowe2941

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Thank you for the info. Not to worried about the pistons but it sounds like the crank is expensive. I can do the work but not sure about parts availability. The guy doesn’t have the engine model or ser# so I’m not even sure what to look for and what years parts will fit. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated.
thanks.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe that the 175 hp is a 3.0 L. In that case, this should help some...

Marlowe2941

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I just saw a reman Mercury 175hp 2.5L V6 sport jet power head. Fits 1997 to 2005. Does this sound correct? This would give me something to go on but they wanted $4,200 for the power head so I need to find less expensive parts elsewhere if I decide to buy this boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A 2.5L? Uho. That means that there are at least 2 175's. Need to find out which one is in the boat (or your fittings may not be in the right place to connect the new engine or the engine may not fit).

But, yes, that was one of my concerns. If you buy the boat expecting to spend $2k on an engine and the only ones to be had are $4200--that is a problem. Best you should know the cost for the engine going in.

Marlowe2941

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I’ll see if I can get more info out of the guy. He hasn’t been very helpful. Thanks for the help. I’ll reply again if I find anything out.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’ll see if I can get more info out of the guy. He hasn’t been very helpful. Thanks for the help. I’ll reply again if I find anything out.
I’d figure out what the trailer is worth and offer him that much minus $200. (For a pair of new tires)

WILL IHNE

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Everything is available for the 175xr2. But just weigh your options of the cost of a rebuilt engine first. I seen them on Ebay. Check here for your parts on the pump and engine. Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts