• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2000gph Bilge Pump Install

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In preparation for the Bimini 2017 trip, I have decided to get me a higher capacity bilge pump. I originally intended to put this as an additional pump but could not find suitable location in the engine bay or the bilge...and running the hoses/wires would have been a huge hassle. So I simply replaced the original 500gph pump and followed the same hose routing. I even used the metal screen that was in the original pump. I (will) enlarged the holes size on the hull for the bigger hose fitting and cut the wire to the existing harness so it can be run with factory switch. Since it is a bigger capacity pump, I imagine bigger fuse may be needed but we shall see.

Bilge 2000gph
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N6I1DCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*this bilge has a automatic float switch built in...
https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-Automatic-Submersible-2000gph-Built/dp/B01LWCRWC1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485735683&sr=8-4&keywords=2000gph+bilge
Bilge hose kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XACR90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thru-Hull Bilge Outlet (to match the factory look)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N9NWZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's a great idea!! I'm just getting ready to do the same I just haven't decided between 2000 GPH or 1100 GPG

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The bilge switch(auto mode) was on the factory switch but I wanted to be able to cycle on if I wanted to so I got a 3 way switch and wired it up.
Orange=Auto
Red=On

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Neat. How did you wire it?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I simply moved over the existing harness to the new switch and added one wire for the "on" function directly from the bilge

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I finally did mine today... Install a automatic 1100 GPH Rule Pump strait to my battery!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Um... you do mean straight to a fuse and then to the battery, right? Please say yes...

If your impeller jams, that is the perfect situation for an electrical fire without a fuse in place.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Do you use a waterproof inline fuse ? What capacity fuse ?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I put the in line fuse in the helm. It said it requires 12A fuse if i remember correctly, but i used a 15A fuse.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pump will give on it what it's anticipated draw is. That (plus the draw from all other things on the circuit) should be what your fuse size is (and the wire should be sized for that as well).

(Edited to add) Plus a little bit. If it were a pump drawing 10A, a 15A would probably be fine, as 12A would be better. 10A would be cutting it probably too close.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The pump will give on it what it's anticipated draw is. That (plus the draw from all other things on the circuit) should be what your fuse size is (and the wire should be sized for that as well).

(Edited to add) Plus a little bit. If it were a pump drawing 10A, a 15A would probably be fine, as 12A would be better. 10A would be cutting it probably too close.
Actually the fuse should be sized to protect the wire. The wire should be sized to support the pump draw. Edit: Hmmm, maybe that's what you said.