• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2001 Sugar Sand Mirage: Water Coming Up Steering Cable and Dripping onto my Foot

db199

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
So I got the 175 engine replaced in my 2001 Mirage and since then I noticed water dripping onto my foot under the steering wheel. At first I thought it must have been rain water that had collected somewhere since it had been sitting outside uncovered for a while. But I think it is coming up through the steering cable and dripping from where the steering cable is connected to the steering wheel. It is mostly at idle. When I turn the wheel it seems to pump it out a little more. At speed and on plane it doesn't seem to be an issue. Does anybody have any idea what may be going on? Is there a seal that may have broken or is missing since they did the engine swap? Is this a major issue that can cause bigger problems? Steering is still performing fine. Thanks.

Last edited:

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Could it be the speedometer? My Tango had a pitot tube speedometer line and I recall it leaking when it came loose behind the dash.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
db, from what you describe, I think there's a leak in your steering cable boot at the jet. Note that at "idle" (more specifically, Neutral) the bucket directs thrust forward and toward the steering cable boot. At speed and on plane, the bucket is raised up out of the way, so no water is forced toward the boot. I would start there. You'll probably need a whole new cable.

db199

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. You are probably correct. I can do a search later but is there any chance you know where to get the steering cable for these boats?

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
is there any chance you know where to get the steering cable for these boats?
You're likely going to have to remove the old cable first to measure for the correct replacement. Teleflex Morse is my guess as the OEM supplier.

db199

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
So I checked the boot on the steering cable and there does seem to be a hole in it. You mentioned changing the whole cable but is there a reason to do that and not just change the boot? And if just the boot is needed where would I source that? Same Teleflex Morse company? Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Google Mercury part # 877581a4 for the bellows for 175hp on up, you can also find steering cables in a sportjet parts list like this one at boats.net. They are listed under accessories in the pump sections, likley find them cheaper elsewhere once you figure out what you need OEM Mercury Jet Drive SportJet Parts | Boats.net

db199

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Thanks. I did find the part I need. Now I'm just wondering if I need to replace the whole cable as another poster said in this thread. Seems like I should be just able to change the bellows out but I want to get it right. Changing the whole cable will be a major pain it looks like. Also wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me if there are any challenges to changing the bellows.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
...is there a reason to do that and not just change the boot?
Even the best stainless steel is subject to corrosion. (I bet few people know that) Do you really want to take the chance of corrosion starting inside this cable? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Put another way: if a thunderstorm was approaching and your safety depended on getting to a safe harbor NOW, could this cable failing at this moment be considered "a major pain?"