• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2003 sx230 Stbd engine wont start

Jevett43

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys been watching the forums for years but never had made time to post. Thank yall for all the assistance you provide to the community. What a good forum!
I have a 2003 ymaha sx230 all original with the exception of stainless impellers and delrin rings. I recently replaced the stbd intermediate bearing, reinstalled the engine mounts and fired it up. Awesome! Well i took it to the water and put er in and stbd fired then died. Absolutely will not start. Cranks and i sprayed starter fluid to check fuel…nothing. Removed plug wore and put inline tester, fire! Engine cranks good will not start. Every now and then sounds like its gonna start but doesnt start. Any common things with these? Im sorry if im posting old news, i tried to search and kept coming up with electrical issues. I really need to sell the boat but i dont wanna give someone else a problem cuz these are awesome boats!! Ive enjoyed it a couple times a year for 10 years now. Thanks in advance!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Initial thoughts.... faulty spark plug(s), or fouled spark plugs. I would swap the spark plugs from port engine to starboard, and see if she fires up. Crank the engine a little before removing the spark plugs, then when you do remove them, check to see if they're wet with fuel. These engines have a known issue relating to the ECU's holding an injector open, and flooding a cylinder. This is a result of moisture in the ECU.

What kind of spark tester did you use? Some are very sensitive, and show spark when there isn't actually enough to do anything, but I have my doubts as to that being the case here...

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the cleanout port switch, make sure it's down enough.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the cleanout port switch, make sure it's down enough.
The cleanout port switch prevents the engine from even cranking, so that shouldn’t be a factor here. The operator presence switch kills the spark, but still allows the engines to crank, so it’s a possibility, but OP said engine has spark. At least one cylinder…

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The clean out switch has 2 circuits. One to kill the engine and one to prevent cranking. one can fail independent of the other. The dead man switch can also be faulty and cause no start, but I think it kills ignition so you should not see any spark I would not think.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you need a compression check 3 things to run fuel spark and compression you have fuel and spark

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The clean out switch has 2 circuits. One to kill the engine and one to prevent cranking. one can fail independent of the other. The dead man switch can also be faulty and cause no start, but I think it kills ignition so you should not see any spark I would not think.
My bad, I forgot it controls both….