• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004-2006 230 Floor Rot Repair

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
after four months, i think i am finally done updating this "project diary."
best lesson learned: rollers are a hassle-free alternative for gelcoat application.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am doing a similar project now, but my gas tank hatch is a separate piece.
Took the whole thing out and will work on it in the garage. I have stubborn bolts that sheared off to deal with but I am sure the repair of the hatch will be much easier!
Thanks for the very detailed explanation here @CrankyGypsy as I will be stealing parts of your work to do mine!

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Speedling sheared bolts: ugh, the worst! funny, I woke up this morning realizing I should put anti seize on my table base bolts.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Holy smokes! That was impressive as HECK!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
20170326_152711.jpg
Thought about taking it all out at this point but i will be sealing it all up good and probably reinforcing things better.
The marine ply around bolt holes is still really solid so i am going to get marine ply for the whole thing instead of whatever that cheap junk is.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Speedling yeah buddy, get at it! that's definitely balsa because i can see the grid pattern. ply is gonna be heavy, but certainly the stronger material. however, if you fill the table base area with compound and seal the edges up right (unlike Yamaha), then it wouldn't matter if you filled it with sawdust.

theSwede

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Are all of the Yamahas filled with wood?
How about the competition?
I am in Sweden, and it is far wetter here, so most boats sold are completely without wood in hull construction.
I am now hesitant to a planned purchase of an AR230...

Sorry about being slightly off topic.