• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 sx230 overheating & milky cream in vent tube

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Neither sand nor salt. That is biofouling. It builds up over time. Every time an engine is flushed, residual water remains. Microbes feed on the water and a layer of slime is the result. The slime dries out and settles to the bottom. After numerous flushes the water jacket gets impacted with the dead layers of slime. The buildup is soft near the top where the fresh living microbes are thriving, harder near the bottom where the dried out layers are piling on.

My remedy has been to dry out the cylinders after flushing when the engine is cold. Run engine for about a minute without cooling water. Repeating this process several times will dry out the cylinders and prevent biofouling from taking place.

BTW, that is Cylinder #1. It is the farthest from the cooling water intake, least likely to respond to flushing, and the most likely to foul first. That may be why the engineers placed the engine thermoswitch at that location.

c_johnsonftw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I learned something new, I’ve never heard of biofouling. You are correct on cylinder # 1 I was looking at it backwards. Is there a method to get this stuff out other than what I did? Or is bulling the head and chiseling it out the only way?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Prevention is key. I have found drying out the cooling system is the best way. It layers in and hardens. Imagine trying to flush out paper mache. It needs water to build up so drying out the cooling system after flushing works best.