• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 Yamaha sr230 Engine Issues 1 Engine Wont Run.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First off I am new here so HI :) I bought a 2004 yamaha sr230 with Non ho mr1 engines for $5300 which is a steal in my opinion. Overall for the age is in decent shape seats are stained and and boat is dirty it was sitting un covered on a lift at the shore I am sure it will clean up. The story iI got was his kids where out on it one day and at the end of the day with the port side engine he thinks they ran the hose without stating first and got water in engine and it sat that appears to be true cause it was all fresh water in engine. The starboard engine runs fine I have worked on vx110 skis before similar engines. The engine was not seized tore it down rings where stuck apparently this engine was rebuilt by sbt not long ago so I cleaned it all up new rings/gaskets threw it back together and it just backfires thorough the intake. To me it sounded like timing issue tore valve cover off and confirmed timing was set right cyl1 TDC both marks lined up on cams. Put it back together same thing pops backfires thorough the intake the compression is 150 all cylinders they had no chance to break in yet. The weird thing to me is if I swap spark plug wires 3-4 it will fire up and run crappy ofc wit a little throttle but with the correct fire order it just pops.. So now I am thinking the old owner had it out this motor crapped out and then they flushed it or tried to flush it while trying to start/not running. So my question is what else could be causing this issue? bad sensor? what controls the timing on these?. Also I just got my yds kit from amazon so I can read the computer/codes but having trouble getting that to work so far it wont connect have watched a lot of vids on setting it up I am going to try another laptop.

Any help much appreciated sorry its so long ahaha.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Test ignition coils? Cam position sensor?

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Test ignition coils? Cam position sensor?
All cylinders have spark also new plugs is there a way to test cam sensor? if not I will pull it from other motor if I have to I guess.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The electrical section in service manual has test procedures.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd test the cam sensor. I'm not sure there is a crank sensor, but test that too. That's all that controls the timing. There is a chance a clogged exhaust could cause a back fire. You're not running the house without the engine right? That will fill up the water box and eventually the engine and may cause a backfire. I made a video on setting cam timing, but it sounds like you verified the dots line up when 1 is tdc in the compression stroke.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It may be a bit of work but pull the ECM off the firewall and open it up. Verify it is clean and dry. Make sure you check the fuel injectors as sometimes the ECM will hold one open.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
And welcome to the forum. We are here to help you get that boat on the water.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It may be a bit of work but pull the ECM off the firewall and open it up. Verify it is clean and dry. Make sure you check the fuel injectors as sometimes the ECM will hold one open.
I think this is my next step i took the cam sensor from other motor and it didnt help.

Thanks.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 I think next thing is to test ignition coils.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jws123 I think next thing is to test ignition coils.
I have spark on all cylinders maybe few are weak? I could swap coils from other engine I guess. It also would not surprise me if something else got wet boat was neglected for a bit when weather clears up I will check the box to see if anything got wet aswell as check the coils again.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The coils should be tested with a meter to see if they are within specification. Specs and procedures are in service manual.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It might be worth doing a test at night to see the condition of the spark plugs wires to see if there is arcing. Double check you set the cams on the compression stroke because that can cause backfire for sure.

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I got her running 1 weak/bad coil and the 2 plugs that go to the coil box I had them backwards LOL. It appears to run decent cant tell 100% until I hook up rest of the hoses/run it on water when temps get warmer. Plenty of work left to do on it I will have more questions for sure thanks for the help/suggestions guys.

Also anyone familiar with the yds software to read the ecu? I can not get it to connect here is what I have done..

Windows 10.
1. Ran everything as administrator Also Set device to com 1 2 3 4 5 ECT
2. re install it like 20 times.
3 updated and installed all drivers that the seller gave me but still nothing maybe I am missing one? They sent me the files was not on a disk I will take some screen shots of what I have.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
COM1.. Search how to set the default connection port on YDS to COM1

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Give us those screenshots!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does your YDS cable have USB connector on one end?

jws123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does your YDS cable have USB connector on one end?
Yes it does il get some pics of what software they gave me and of the cable Also I have a few of the boat will upload in a bit sorry for late replies been busy.