• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2004 Yamaha xlt 800 waverunner won't shut off! Help!

OhioCop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Beside my Jet Boat I have a 2004 Yamaha xlt800 waverunner. My neighbor borrowed it yesterday and flipped it. Shortly afterwards he said the ski would not turn off so he had to disconnect the battery to shut it down. I took the starter switch from the handle bar to check it for corrosion and found none. I disconnected the switch completly and put the battery termenal back on and it started as soon asI did that without the switch being connected. So I'm thinking that rule out thestarter switch as the problem. ANY suggestions to what may be causing this would be appreciated.

Most of the time on those 2 cylinder 2 strokes its dieseling, most of the time its a leak on the inlet manifold. If it happens again, against your gut feeling I know when the engine just won't quit, but just open the throttle full, quickly, that normally does the trick.

Hes saying that it is starting as soon as he connects the battery. If he was trying to turn it off and it was dieseling, that would be different.

Check the starter connections. Your starter switch is just a lead to the starter to jump it to start it. Maybe something contacted the starter during the roll over and bent two tabs together and are shorting out causing it to start the whole time the battery is connected.

I have found the older skies will act up like you described if water gets inside the handlebar controls at the start stop and kill switch. I would take that apart and soak it with silicon spray to remove the water. Also investigate the solenoid for the starter this may be stuck in the start position

Hes saying that it is starting as soon as he connects the battery. If he was trying to turn it off and it was dieseling, that would be different.

Check the starter connections. Your starter switch is just a lead to the starter to jump it to start it. Maybe something contacted the starter during the roll over and bent two tabs together and are shorting out causing it to start the whole time the battery is connected.

My mistake :confused:

For what it's worth that was good advice for 2 stroke owners if you ever have the engine running on the trailer and it sounds like it is about to rev so hard it will throw a rod The key is off and the engine keeps screaming, just pull the throttle wide open like he said and it will stop running. Just a small vacuume leak in the intake and it will scare the heck out of you.

On the original issue I have a feeling the internal contacts of the start solenoid have welded together and won't release so the starter keeps cranking when the battery is connected.

Back