• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 AR230HO Refurbishing Build Thread with Questions

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ADA bilge and pisser fittings installed. 20210531_192550.jpg

20210531_192603.jpg

New horn installed. That was a job. The new horn required nuts on the back versus just screws from the outside. I didn't fit through the door so instead of removing the door my wife and daughter helped from inside.
20210531_173552.jpg

20210531_175736.jpg

20210601_183525.jpg

JOAN ROJAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you share which horn u bought please
Amazon.com : TOTAL MARINE Pactrade Compact Drop in Hidden Electric Horn, White/Silver Grills : Sports & Outdoors is what I bought about 2 weeks ago. Now it's showing it's unavailable. I mainly bought that particular one because it came with a stainless grill which I knew would look better than white on my wrap. Seems like a decent piece but it required nuts on backside versus screws going into the horn like the horn I removed which I assume was original. Something where the screws tap into the horn would be easier to install.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swapped the trailer to a 7 pin plug so I don't have to use an adapter.
20210610_194650.jpg

New LED lights for the rear.
20210610_193138.jpg

I also installed sound deadening in the engine hatch, fuel tank cover, and both side storage. I didn't use the Kilmat everyone is using. I think this was called Noice. It was about twice as thick as Kilmat for the same price. It's waterproof and fireproof. It conformed we'll with no tools other than scissors needed. It stuck very well. It doesn't have a foil to it but I'm not worried about heat, just noise. It did see mention somewhere that if it doesn't have foil it wouldn't be approved by the Coast Guard but I'm not really worried about that every being noticed. I will say this stuff doesn't take abrasion well. It's fine for these places but I wouldn't put it somewhere like the ski locker. I do plan to add an egg crate type foam on top in the future. 20210604_172343.jpg

20210604_172310.jpg

20210604_172235.jpg

20210604_172251.jpg

I started putting my own "Wake Wedge" together. Need some more hardware that will be in tomorrow and I should be able to finish that up.

20210608_200208.jpg

20210608_200214.jpg

20210609_191926.jpg

20210609_191935.jpg

20210609_192018.jpg

20210609_200519.jpg

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took the boat out for it's maiden voyage. I have some work to do but overall it was successful. Fuel gauge doesn't work which I suspected. I need to determine if it's the gauge or sender. Depth gauge would change numbers if I hit the up and down buttons but then would go to just dashes. Not sure if it doesn't work right or I need to read the manual to learn how it works. The biggest disappointment was top speed. I could barely hit 40mph. That was with 3 adults, my 4 year old daughter, light gear and a full tank of gas on smooth water with no wind. Engines ran smooth to redline so I suspect I need impellers and/or wear rings. Other than that, all went well. I did try wake surfing. I could see my surf wing working well but with no ballast I couldn't drop the rope. It was really close but not quite. My 725lb Fat Sac came this afternoon so I'll try again in 2 weeks when we get back to the river. 20210611_201052.jpg

20210612_104122.jpg

20210612_111908.jpg

20210612_111913.jpg

20210612_122155.jpg

20210612_105409.jpg

20210612_104610_03.jpg

20210612_103416.jpg

Dfred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@UnorthodoxCreations
!!! Wow - huge AWESOME !!! To you/designers for that USA Flag window detail - Perfect!

I propose Yamaha adopt that USA Flag window as an OEM graphic.

And that wrap design is great! Nice project & thanks for sharing.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m enjoying seeing the revival and transformation of your boat. Very nice! I agree, you need to inspect your impellers and wear rings. She should be cruising at right around 50, or close to it. In regards to the fuel gauge not working, chances are it’s the sending unit. See my signature for the KUS part number.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@UnorthodoxCreations
!!! Wow - huge AWESOME !!! To you/designers for that USA Flag window detail - Perfect!

I propose Yamaha adopt that USA Flag window as an OEM graphic.

And that wrap design is great! Nice project & thanks for sharing.
Thank you. I had planned to do a full color flag and had my guys ready to print it and on the way back from a job saw and American flag in black on a Jeep window or something and I thought this would look much cleaner, better so that's what we did.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m enjoying seeing the revival and transformation of your boat. Very nice! I agree, you need to inspect your impellers and wear rings. She should be cruising at right around 50, or close to it. In regards to the fuel gauge not working, chances are it’s the sending unit. See my signature for the KUS part number.
Thank you. It's been a fun project. I ordered the interior today so that will be the biggest project but I doubt that I'll install that until the season is over.

I was able to see the impellers better than I thought I could, even without taking anything apart. The pic below is of the starboard side. There is a slight ding at about 5pm but it's pretty minimal. I took a picture of the port impeller but it's pretty blurry. Other than that ding, to me they look great, very appropriate for about 135 hours of use. I guess I can open things up and look better but I'm not seeing anything that indicates the impellers are the problem.

2021-06-13 12.28.43.jpg

I'm wondering if I was taking on more water than I realized and that was the problem. The plug I had didn't go in 100% of the way to the o-ring. It looks like the threads are a little messed up. Unfortunately I didn't pull the plug at the boat ramp when I took the boat out because I needed to rush to get home, so I don't know how much water I took on. I know I saw the bilge pumping at times but I wasn't watching as much as I should to know how much it was really running. By the time I made an hour drive home, if there was any water in the boat it had stopped draining. I'm going to make sure I have a better fitting plug when I return to the river in 2 weeks. I'm also going to check in the rear where the cleanout ports are to see if there are any signs of excess water. My scupper seems to be in great condition but I guess I'm going to replace that too. Only place I'm finding the one everyone uses is Amazon at about $130 which seems steep but I don't see a better option.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you. It's been a fun project. I ordered the interior today so that will be the biggest project but I doubt that I'll install that until the season is over.

I was able to see the impellers better than I thought I could, even without taking anything apart. The pic below is of the starboard side. There is a slight ding at about 5pm but it's pretty minimal. I took a picture of the port impeller but it's pretty blurry. Other than that ding, to me they look great, very appropriate for about 135 hours of use. I guess I can open things up and look better but I'm not seeing anything that indicates the impellers are the problem.

View attachment 153460

I'm wondering if I was taking on more water than I realized and that was the problem. The plug I had didn't go in 100% of the way to the o-ring. It looks like the threads are a little messed up. Unfortunately I didn't pull the plug at the boat ramp when I took the boat out because I needed to rush to get home, so I don't know how much water I took on. I know I saw the bilge pumping at times but I wasn't watching as much as I should to know how much it was really running. By the time I made an hour drive home, if there was any water in the boat it had stopped draining. I'm going to make sure I have a better fitting plug when I return to the river in 2 weeks. I'm also going to check in the rear where the cleanout ports are to see if there are any signs of excess water. My scupper seems to be in great condition but I guess I'm going to replace that too. Only place I'm finding the one everyone uses is Amazon at about $130 which seems steep but I don't see a better option.
Now, just to clarify, the view you posted is from the back, and you want to check the leading edge of the impellers. I'd be looking into where you're leaking water into the boat asap. You can just grab a hose, and fill the bilge, then look for water leaking out also. I'm not surprised if that scupper skyrocketed in price, but that seems a little excessive... Here, quick google search of the part number and I found this...

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should check the back edges of the impeller for damage. I've seen many impellers that look through the pump, but have damage on the intake edges. best way is to lower your trailer tongue as much as possible, them lay underneath and look up through the intake grates.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now, just to clarify, the view you posted is from the back, and you want to check the leading edge of the impellers. I'd be looking into where you're leaking water into the boat asap. You can just grab a hose, and fill the bilge, then look for water leaking out also. I'm not surprised if that scupper skyrocketed in price, but that seems a little excessive... Here, quick google search of the part number and I found this...
Thank you, for finding that scupper much cheaper, I did go ahead and order that. I looked at the impellers from the front edge and they both look great to me so I don't think that's the issue.

20210614_202821.jpg

20210614_202905.jpg

I don't know if I took on a lot of water but I suspect that maybe I did. I took a peak through the cleanout tray access holes and didn't see signs of excessive water but you can't see much and it was dark. The drain plug feeds from the open area under the cleanout tray, right? I plan to put the plug in like I had it Saturday and fill that with water. How much it drains out should give an idea how much water could have been flowing in.

I confirmed my fuel gauge sending unit is bad so I'll get that ordered.

My compass is shot, is there a replacement insert for that?
20210614_210121.jpg

My depth gauge appears bad per the manual. Any recommendations? I like something that matches, chrome bezel, black face. I think the ones with air and water temp are pretty cool but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, my boat does have bottom paint. Not what I'd prefer but otherwise the price for the boat was right. I'm guessing that may drop my top speed a hair but not 10mph. I was using phone gps along with the OEM speedo and the speedo was pretty accurate.

cxr133

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1623723191295.png
Does anyone know is this the orignal size of the tire? i noticed a delaminated tire when we got to storage but then started on other stuff and forgot tog et a pic to order a tire and the boat is about 250 miles away :( Just happy it didnt blow clean delamination the whole center part

Attachments

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 153492
Does anyone know is this the orignal size of the tire? i noticed a delaminated tire when we got to storage but then started on other stuff and forgot tog et a pic to order a tire and the boat is about 250 miles away :( Just happy it didnt blow clean delamination the whole center part
I replaced the tires on the trailer with the same size that was on it. I know they weren't original but I'm pretty sure that's the original size. They fit the original wheels. I did go radial versus bias ply.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you, for finding that scupper much cheaper, I did go ahead and order that. I looked at the impellers from the front edge and they both look great to me so I don't think that's the issue.

View attachment 153488

View attachment 153489

I don't know if I took on a lot of water but I suspect that maybe I did. I took a peak through the cleanout tray access holes and didn't see signs of excessive water but you can't see much and it was dark. The drain plug feeds from the open area under the cleanout tray, right? I plan to put the plug in like I had it Saturday and fill that with water. How much it drains out should give an idea how much water could have been flowing in.

I confirmed my fuel gauge sending unit is bad so I'll get that ordered.

My compass is shot, is there a replacement insert for that?
View attachment 153491

My depth gauge appears bad per the manual. Any recommendations? I like something that matches, chrome bezel, black face. I think the ones with air and water temp are pretty cool but I don't know if I want to spend that much.
Yes, the drain plug goes directly into the compartment with the "mufflers".
I am not aware of a direct replacement "instert", unfortunately. I haven't looked for one, either, so that doesn't mean much.
I haven't really looked at depth gauges either, since I've got a Garmin... would be nice to have water temp constantly displayed, though... I have to go from chart plotter to fish finder for the water temp... kind of annoying.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, the drain plug goes directly into the compartment with the "mufflers".
I am not aware of a direct replacement "instert", unfortunately. I haven't looked for one, either, so that doesn't mean much.
I haven't really looked at depth gauges either, since I've got a Garmin... would be nice to have water temp constantly displayed, though... I have to go from chart plotter to fish finder for the water temp... kind of annoying.
We'll I ordered the scupper last night but unfortunately the place you linked to sent me an email this morning saying they don't actually have the scupper valve in stock. Luckily I found one at http://www.duskyonline.com/ , called to confirm they have it in stock and they did so that is ordered and I should have it end of this week/beginning of next.

I went ahead and ordered this depth finder. Faria Digital Depth Sounder with Air and Water Temperatures Should be a good match to the factory gauges. I had seen this on Amazon but it was over $200 which wasn't worth it to me. Overtons had it for $156 plus 15% off but when I checked out it gave me a promo that got it down to $77 shipped so I hope that goes through. It showed the part in stock.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I filled the back of the boat with water with the plug in until it built up enough to start getting pumped out by the bilge. It did dribble out but very minimal. I don't think that would be the source of taking on water. That being said, the plug provided by the previous owner was not correct. He also provided a brass plug with some other miscellaneous parts and that is the correct fit. I'd like to find a version of that brass plug that doesn't require a wrench to get tight but either way I won't be using the plastic plug any more. 20210615_201450.jpg

20210615_201423.jpg

I'm still not positive I was taking on excess water but I don't know what else would have been keeping my speeds down. I'll get this plug situation taken care of as well as a new scupper valve.

I also installed stainless boat buckles.
20210615_195004.jpg

I got a new bilge switch cover to replace the one I originally lost.
20210615_195020.jpg

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those plastic plugs are for the interior compartments, like the bilge and ski locker. I’ve got the same setup, and like you, didn’t like the wrench. Attached is my redneck solution. Works great. Lol. Boat buckles are awesome. I hated the originals. 4546AE38-C8EC-437D-BCAB-0E7B3F6F86C1.jpeg