• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 seadoo gtx cuts out when more than half throttle

Edwin Hinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a 2006 Seadoo GTX 4 tec it was running great until I got in shallow water. I pushed off and shortly after that it started kicking out if I went over half throttle. I needed new gauges so I got the local seadoo dealership to put them on and sink them. He said the ski was too old for him to troubleshoot further. I was hoping the gauges were the problem. He said there were alot of codes and there were electrical problems and could even be the wiring harness. To me if it is giving codes shouldnt that tell whats wrong. Im new here so thanks for any help Ed

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find a way to get the codes. My guess is that you plugged up the cooling system and is overheating.

Edwin Hinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Even if I let it set for a day or two as soon as I get on it and go full throttle it starts missing with it cold could it still be this problem It is a closed system has antifreeze and all I think there is a heat exchanger under the sea doo that transfers heat from coolant to lake water Thanks again

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Could be bad fuel could be a bad electrical connector on the m e p m those gauges wen bad if water got in them so I always drilled a very small hole in the hood just under the gauges to keep water from sitting along the bottom of the gauges but if they go bad your ski won't run, could be many things but it sounds like fuel issues or spark issues, could have bad injector, or trash in the fuel but it could also be a exhaust leak in the hull putting exhaust gases into the intake I had a bad motor mount cause the exhaust bellows to start leaking one time and it took me forever to find the culprit even with the seat off it would not run correct at top speed. Had a m e p m plug go bad and it would just quit running totally Sea doo has a bad rep for electrical issues so it's anyone's guess you just need to start with the simple things like plugs fuel air in the hull and go from there.

Edwin Hinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I changed the plugs as soon as it messed up I got the ski back from the dealer. He said he couldnt sink new gauges in due to it showing error codes he said stored codes were
fuel pump open/short
active NA MPEM COMM problem 181 times
idle bypass 25 times
tops function 69 times
wrong ecm 15 times
the new gauges have no display he checked fuse said good power through it
tried different versions of BUDS No Luck
said no obvious reason why gauge is not communication with the ecm and mpem
they said since over 10 yrs old they wouldn't go any further

I dont know what I should do next it starts right up but when you give much gas it starts cutting out

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would look for an independent shop to diagnose your problem.

It seems mpem and fuel are both potential suspects, but throwing parts at it is only cheaper than the diagnosis when parts are cheap. Mpem not cheap to swap just to see if that's the issue.

It's suspicious buds won't work.

Fuel pump? Any way to check open flow is as expected?

Sorry I don't have any other insight.

Edwin Hinson

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for your help I may check all plugs and make sure they arent loose

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If check all the grounds then move to unplug, examine, and reconnect every harness plug.

John Gillett

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sounds similar to the problem I'm having in my 2008 215 180 Challenger. Started last year after the engine was replaced as a result of, repeated P1520 faults followed by a failed oil pressure regulator and that after Seadoo dealer having had it to sort out the fault issue, saying everything was fine but just add some oil but thats another story. After a maybe 10 hours operation after the new engine was installed, one day out on the sea after a good run the engine would cut out, catch and then cut out again until it would finally stop. If I pulled back the throttle below 4000 rpm to would run fine but accelerate back up again and the same thing happens, pull the throttle back and it goes away and would likely sit there all day like this. I've changed the fuel pump and fuel regulator, both filters and last year I even bought "ouch" a new ecu and had that programmed by the dealer, yes same one as a above! we don't have many options over here, but no good. Over the winter I reverted back to the original ecu and paired it back with the cluster, drained the fuel tank and cleaned it all out, changed the filters again, I've had the injectors refurbished with new filters and o rings, checked the fuel line which was clean. But this year its still doing the same thing. It starts fine runs strong and will likely cruise all day around 4000 revs but if I accelerate up to top speed, which it does really quickly with no cavitation at all, after about 10-20 secs it stalls, catches again and will continue to do so until it stops. As above if I pull back on the throttle it will catch again and run fine. One thing I noticed last week was that after the first time it stalled to a stop, when I started it again and rammed the throttle wide open it stalled on acceleration and then settled down when I pulled the throttle back to return to the dock. No fault alarms. What I did notice last year when this started, was after the engine was replaced the loom was routed incorrectly and was resting on the copper intercooler pipe and on two wires, yellow/brown and black, the insulation had melted off and the wires had rubbed on the copper and lost some strands. The copper was black when I stripped the insulation back and I removed this and crimped the ends back together again. Summer just getting going over here so hoping someone might have some suggestions thatch help me. Many thanks in advance John

John Gillett

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Finally found what was causing the problem with my boat above. Loose EMS 5 amp fuse in the fuse block! Seems like the holder has lost its grip over the years and as a result the fuse had worked its way to until it was stopped by the cover. All fine when going slow but at higher speeds the EMS must have been losing its power, causing confusion and shut down. After all that time and money with the dealer last year you would have thought they would have checked the fuse for the EMS. Makes you wonder?