• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

replaced stbd engine 2006 SX210 trying to troubleshoot issues.

Gator6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I purchased a 2006 "AR210" (Later discovered the SX210 sticker discoloration on the paint) in 2018. Being a former jet boat operator in the Navy I knew how it should handle, but I'm not completely engine savvy, so I asked my old compadres what I should look for...the boat checked out. Years and a change of station later, we were out on the river when my STBD engine died. A buddy of mine tinkers with 110s all the time and owns a couple Yamaha skis, he took a look at it and said "you need a new engine". We purchased the SBT engine he recommended back in fall of '21, and finally got the thing installed in November/December time frame.

We dropped it in my buddy's pond to run it some, it idled a bit rough, but it would even out with some throttle. Eventually we launched and ran it for about a half hour with no faults, still a rough idle though. A couple weeks ago I put it in the pond to get it running some more and troubleshoot the idle, and under throttle I got an engine light then I shut it down. I have since tried starting and having issues with that.

Now the PORT engine runs fine, no issues with that. The STBD side though, once I pulled it out of the pond after the light came on, I tried starting it after sitting for about 20 min with no luck. I stepped away from it for a few days and came back to it, and it started, with a rough idle. Turned it off and tried again, it would turn and stop, then try to fire again, "click". I let it set for a bit now and I can't get it to start, just turn and stop. Today I ordered the diagnostic software (which I should've done when purchasing the engine, so I can't tell you any codes yet unfortunately.

The big thing is we are wanting to sell the boat, but don't want to give anyone a handful of trouble. With my retirement weeks away, we have decided to take our RV and tour the country for a bit. We have no use for the boat anymore, it was fun and great for the family, but with everyone growing up we just don't get out as much as we did to keep up with the maintenance these things require. I'm apologize for the long story, just trying to be transparent. I appreciate any suggestions!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm no engine expert, but getting the YDS cable and software will be a good first step. Have you checked the compression - that would be step 2.

Don't like to make assumptions - but have you checked the pump itself - its not binding is it? These Yamaha wear rings can expand and lock up the impellers.

The only other thing I'd do would be to unplug, and replug every connection to the ECU, plugs etc and make sure they are dry and well seated.

Gator6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is where I get confused because it's been a minute since I've worked the maintenance side of boats. We did have a mechanic come out and replace impeller sleeves when we had trouble with the port engine starting, turns out it had swelled and wouldn't let the impeller turn. Both were replaced with billet sleeves in 2019.

I wasn't considering a fuel issue because the port engine is running smoothly. I did take the stbd plugs and run them on the port engine, that was fine. Then I took the port coils with the stbd plugs and tried them on the stbd engine, same issues. Not the plugs or the coils. Are there two separate fuel pumps and filters, if that's the case then I'll tear into that. I'll also get some connection grease and go back over all the connections.

The boat sits on my buddy's property about an hours drive away, so any time I run out there I like to have a number of things I can run down so I can make the trip worth it.