• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007-2009 SX/AR230 -- Is it me or are they getting more expensive?

Architeuthis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Hi all, first post here. I've spent many hours lurking and searching this board and I appreciate your insights.

I started looking at Yamaha boats last summer and put a deposit on an 2016 AR192 at the boat show earlier this month. Lately, I have been worried I might regret the 19 footer over time so I have been looking at older 23' boats. Deposit is refundable...

As I look at listings across the country and at historical threads on this site, I can't help but notice the asking prices of some of these 2007 vintage boat seems to be climbing. I've seen some killer deals struck here in the last few years on very clean 50 hour boats ($18k?!?) and I'm seeing them now listing for for between $26-$34k.

So, what's the deal? Is $28k a fair price (I'm currently looking at a 2007 SX230 with an aftermarket tower here in the Seattle area with an estimated 150 hours of use) or are people just taking queues from other listings and falsely inflating asking prices? If a 9-10 year old boat is only a few thousand off a brand new (albeit smaller) boat, I'm not sure it makes sense to go pre-owned...

(Long post... thanks for reading :)

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know if it's a "fair" price or not, but to be honest it's more than I'd pay for a 9-10 year old boat of this type. Seems like you should be able to get into something newer for that much $ or find one of that vintage for less $. Yeah, I know, I've got no data to back up my assertions, but its my gut feeling.

Architeuthis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
My gut is telling me the same thing. I've looked all over the country and when I find one that seems priced where I think it should, it's usually in pretty rough shape... Spring is coming soon enough, maybe that's the bump. Who knows?

Here's another example that posted today in my area: http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/5458805613.html

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes that pricing seems high. I bought a 2011 sx240 with 67 hours and still under warranty a few months back in the mid 20's

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you look at NADA/boats their average retail pricing for an 2007 without a tower and with trailer is $23k, so maybe a starting price of $28k is not too bad for one with a tower.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would want 27k for mine and it still books for it as well.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That price seems fair for a well maintained boat, especially if the hours are low. @robert843 , if you got a 2011 SX240 and for that, then I think you got an amazing deal!

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
there's always going to be deals out there ...and always when you're not ready to buy.
i've been keeping an occasional eye on prices the past couple of years. although i've seen a small handful of 2007 models listed as crazy-low as $18k in the fall, i normally expect to see them starting at $23k from a private seller. some of the times i noticed that those lower prices are from not-so-forthright sellers. example: a very close look at interior photos would show the seats were not in the "great condition" they were described.

also, there are just certain vehicles that, on average, never seem to depreciate much below a certain marker. the 2007-2009 230 series seem to fall into that category. it's older ("vintage" as you say, so on the cheaper side), yet has a MUCH better/modern layout than the 2005-2006 models - so it has become a very desirable boat, keeping the demand very high. i, like everyone, would have preferred a 2007+, but settled on a 2005 because they could be bought cheaper between $18k-23k. i got mine for less than that, but i've also put a substantial amount of work into it ...so i wouldn't exactly call it "a killer deal" as i once thought two years ago.

the last 4-5 years of the Jeep Wrangler TJ are another perfect example: the YJ is too dated with its leaf springs and stark interior; the JK is so refined that it takes a lot of the fun from us Jeep purists. this leaves an abundance of buyers willing to pay good money for the Goldilocks ("it's juuuuuust right") of Jeeps, so asking prices aren't exactly inline with adjacent model years ...it's more like a bell curve.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Size really depends on your boating style and your weather conditions in my opinion. If you have a family you might want a bigger boat because you will grow out of a 19 fast. I have a 19ft, wish I got the 21 or 22 but I also knew my boating style wouldn't change for many years so I got the 19. Personally I wouldn't get a 9-10 year old jetboat though. Even if it's clean you don't know how someone actually treated it and if they beat on it or my main concern if they flushed it out after EVERY single use. I'd probably only buy a used one from someone in this group because the people I've seen in here baby their boats.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are tall tell signs on these boats, if you know what to look for, to know if the boat has been abused or not. I always crawl under the boat and look at the keel. I also peek into the intake of the jet pump to look at the impellers. I also check out the jet pumps, interior, and scupper along with the obvious stuff. Plus any issues would show up on YDS. Not much can go wrong with these boats. the engines were designed to run wide open all day long.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think we are seeing more listings of well cared for examples and less for ragged out 230s combined with the ever increasing prices of 240s.

Many owner upgraded 230s are just as nice or perhaps even nicer than a brand new 242. I doubt that I will ever own a 2010 to 2014 first generation 240 or 242. I strongly considered the option of upgrading in 2014 and did not find them sufficiently appealing. I decided to invest in upgrades for our 230 instead. Had the 2015 been released a year earlier I likely would have upgraded to it. Now I know that if I upgrade to the 2015+ model I will have to spend $50K+ on the boat then turn around and spend another $5K+ on upgrades to bring it up to the standard of our 230.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Architeuthis glad that you found us. I have t searched used boat prices in years. But it does seem like the 230's have held their values pretty well. Time of year, supply and demand and the sellers motivation to sell all affect the pricing. Also, with the increased newer pricing points anything is really "worth" what somebody is willing to spend. Good luck in your search. Hope you find what fits you best soon.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i really didn't answer your question. there's always going to be the owners a little too proud ($$$) of their boat.
expect to pay roughly $1000 more for an AR compared to a similar SX.
and i think a fair market price is in the $25k to $28k range for the 2007 AR230 High Output with deals maybe dipping into $22k. i'd be very stoked to score a decent one for $23k.

there is an immaculate 2005 SX230 non-HO in my area with an asking price of $29k (!!!), but also a 2007 SX230HO in very good condition for just over $21.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with much of what has been said. One more factor:

I think that Yamaha is ticking up the prices of the new ones at a pretty good clip. As they do so, the prices of the old ones rise--not because they suddenly became better boats or a better value, but because the alternative of a new boat is higher. That gives a higher price for the used, because people are looking to the difference to the new, not the absolute value of the used.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi and Welcome. I got some good advice from this board about what size boat to get. That advice was get the biggest you can afford. I started looking at the 190 and ended up with an AR240. I like having two motors and the extra room gets filled up a lot when we have the family and friends on the boat. I would think you could fine a good price on a two year old boat. Good luck and I think you'll enjoy any size jet boat you get.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am a firm believer that you pay for what you get. A garage kept boat is going to show and last much longer than a boat that has had to suffer winter and summer weather, no matter the cover. Hours on these boats isn't too much of a factor. The upgrades that you find on them may be impeccable. So nada may just be a starting point. If you have a few hours, I'll bend your ear in why a well cared for anything is better than neglected. @PEARCE is upgrading to a cruiser and selling his garage kept '06 and it has lacked for nothing. The Texas contingency is familiar with it too. Hope I didn't open the lid too soon PEARCE!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One option if your going to buy new is spend a few more grand and get a ar210. If your looking at an ar192 I'm sure for 4-5K more you could get into one. I have seen them in the 36-39K range I know there is one on ebay for 39k with no fees and a 4 year warranty.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015-Yamaha-AR210-102639266

Architeuthis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
also, there are just certain vehicles that, on average, never seem to depreciate much below a certain marker. the 2007-2009 230 series seem to fall into that category.
I've seen the same thing with motorcycles-- there seems to be a point most models just don't drop below.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and insights. I'm going to take a look at the one of the 230s this week and see how it looks in person.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well after reading this post I feel I got a hell of a deal last year... 2008 sx 230 with 30 ish hours on it and that had been dry stacked since falloff 2009 for very low 20... with a trailer! ( that I am about to replace but still)!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be listing my garage kept and babyed '06 soon. Once we have a cruiser picked out and in the works I will post it in the classified section first and then maybe Craigslist. Considering putting it on Boattrader.com if the interest traffic is too slow. I haven't decided what my starting price will be yet.

Top Bottom