• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007-2009 SX/AR230 -- Is it me or are they getting more expensive?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be listing my garage kept and babyed '06 soon. Once we have a cruiser picked out and in the works I will post it in the classified section first and then maybe Craigslist. Considering putting it on Boattrader.com if the interest traffic is too slow. I haven't decided what my starting price will be yet.
Time to strike a deal now.....We will pull your kids all day long, but we get to tie up to you.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right idea going with a used twin engine. If you buy that new single engine I GUARANTEE you will will try to sell next season, and you will take a beating on the re-sale. DO NOT DO IT. That Seattle CL ad guy is dreaming. I'd stick around here and see what pops up. I bought my 2d Yamaha off a guy on the other forum. If it is super clean cosmetically you can rest assured it is mechanically perfect. Hours I would not sweat. Folks lie about their boats out on the craigslist and boat trader. Boat trader is traditionally 25% over priced - based on my experience when I was shopping for an SX a few years ago. Brokers would contact me and tell me I'm nuts for refusing their great price. After I bought a gorgeous 08 SX230 in 2013 (bought new in 2011) for 23,900 with 26 hours and a warranty I didn't need or use except for a pole light (20 bucks), the brokers would contact me 3 months later asking if I was "Still interested" in their way overpriced boat which now was 5k less.....rotflmao. Brokers are thieves....but there is a sucker born every minute. Browse this site. You can check the owners posting history and see how anally the boat was cared for. Have cash and be ready to strike. It took me about 8 months to find one. I have no doubt I could sell my still pristine, garage kept stored inside perfect SX230 for 23K in a month.....if I was looking to get an AR240 but I am not.....haha any takers??? this is last October on its way to the indoor storage facility. Yep, near perfect. Even upon close examination.20151208_131729.jpg for the winter...

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha is doing a good job of creating value in the older boats due to the increase in price on the newer boats. Not quite apples to apples, but my sister owned a Super Air Nautique. She, her husband and their family used it for 6 years and then sold it for $5,000 less than what they bought it for. Primarily because they bought it for $76,000 took very good care of it and the new models were going for over 6 figures.

My 2007 SX230 with aftermarket tower may be for sale this year. I'd be asking $24 - $25,000 for it. Having trouble pulling the trigger on selling because I currently only pay $400/year for insurance and it's my only fee for the boat other than registration that pops up every 3 years. We just don't use it nearly enough with my kids getting older and playing travel sports year round. Older son playing football this year takes the one month (August) that we've had to use the boat out of the picture this year...so I'll be lucky to get 2-3 uses this year. We got 5-6 the past 2 summers.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha is doing a good job of creating value in the older boats due to the increase in price on the newer boats. Not quite apples to apples, but my sister owned a Super Air Nautique. She, her husband and their family used it for 6 years and then sold it for $5,000 less than what they bought it for. Primarily because they bought it for $76,000 took very good care of it and the new models were going for over 6 figures.

My 2007 SX230 with aftermarket tower may be for sale this year. I'd be asking $24 - $25,000 for it. Having trouble pulling the trigger on selling because I currently only pay $400/year for insurance and it's my only fee for the boat other than registration that pops up every 3 years. We just don't use it nearly enough with my kids getting older and playing travel sports year round. Older son playing football this year takes the one month (August) that we've had to use the boat out of the picture this year...so I'll be lucky to get 2-3 uses this year. We got 5-6 the past 2 summers.

This really is a great example of what is going on with this. The Msrp on a 2007 sx230 was 35,900 and fast forward 8 short years to 2015 where the Msrp was 50,499 . This is a 40% increase in price in 8 years. So any one who bought the 07 model really did get a lot of there equity held by a rising market. The 2010-14 models had a fairly high price tag so have not held as much equity but that being said I see people selling them for only a few grand less then they paid for them so they seem to be holding ok as well. I'm wondering where the pricing will be 8 years from now if we will see another 40% increase. The E series is probably Yamahas way of testing those waters right now to see what there price limit is before the start pricing them selves out of the market. If the E series starts to take off I wouldn't be surprised to see a major shift in their pricing and models.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2007 - 2009 was a different body style and an increase in horse power over the 2006. That's not a bad price for that boat though. I would confirm that it's an SX230HO and not just the SX230....they advertise it as an SX230 and then call it a High Output in the ad. Make sure it's High Output because there is a difference, I believe 2006 still had both engine options.

My post above about what I'd ask for my boat didn't include any of the extras I've added to my boat that increase it's value, so not an apples to apples comparison. If I sell my boat, part of the added value is the tower, the major stereo upgrade, both to the internal speakers and addition of a subwoofer and tower speakers. I also installed Perfect Pass along with some other upgrades. Those upgrades alone were over $5,000. I wouldn't be looking to get 100% return on the investment, but they definitely drive the value of the boat up.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 06 SX230HO. Thè HO series was 160 HP up from 140 HP on the non HO engines. I don't believe they changed that on the 2007-2009 models.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 06 SX230HO. Thè HO series was 160 HP up from 140 HP on the non HO engines. I don't believe they changed that on the 2007-2009 models.
A 2006 SX230 with HO engines has the same 160 HP engines as the 2007 to 2009 models. All 2007 to 2009 models have HO engines.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmmmm......maybe I'll add a tower and repower with 1.8's and sell it for $45k? Hmmmmmmm.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmmmm......maybe I'll add a tower and repower with 1.8's and sell it for $45k? Hmmmmmmm.
May as well repower with twin supercharged 1.8's and go for 60k if your going to take it that far.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You amateurs.

Repower with twin F110's. Keep the twin 1.8's in for show. Sell for $5M.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had an ' 06 sx230ho and "upgraded to a ' 10 242 Ls. They say that hindsight is 20/20, well in my case it's true and cost me $20k (at least) to figure it out. In retrospect, If I had an '07 to '09 I wouldn't have moved to a 242. The 160 hp mr1 engines were fully refined by the later years and the newest 230s had a head compartment, so IMHO they had the best of both, that is the refined engines and deck layout. The newer boats have a few unique features like GPS speedos, bow ladders and above wake speed cruise control as well as an estimated 20 more hp per engine but the first 242s had an msrp of $49k over $10k more than its predessor the 232ls but they didn't carry anymore passengers and really didn't perform any better. Now the 240 sx has an msrp of $52k and the top of line 242 is $71k. In light of the above I totally understand why an '07 to '09 230 is more desire able than a 240 and why they hold their value but I suspect that an '09 230 will still be cheaper than a '10 240. Buying a '10 with the 1.8s is a bit of a gamble where the oil coolers are concerned.

Anyway, if you are looking at a 230 or a 210 and don't have access to a yds system do your self a favor and pay to have the boat taken into the dealer or pwc shop that can read the hours on the engines. Low hours is a relative term but I think 50 hours per year of age is a good starting point. In addition to reading the hours, my dealer, for $40 per engine, also gave me prints outs reflecting if the engines, since they were put into service, threw any warning like over heats and when. Don't forget to do the visual inspections described above but above all take it for a drive if at all possible even if you have to give the seller a non refundable deposit. You can't tell if a boat will cavitate by running the engines on a trailer and just because the engines start while the boat is on the trailer doesn't mean it will start when it's in the water when there is a load on the impellers.

The 19' Yamaha jet boats are a non starter for me but a lot of people here love them, others not so much and have taken a bath in order upgrade .

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I agree with @Ronnie assessment overall. I do think that the value is being pulled up on used yamahas in general however, by market demand as much as by MSRP rising on the new boats. i think the 240 line will also hold its value as much as the 230 line for well cared for boats. There is always a "deal" out there or someone that wants a change so bad they will sell low. But the overall market on Yamahas has been good and holding more of their value than competitors boats for years now. Good reason for that, they are good boats with not much to go wrong if maintained properly.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
May as well repower with twin supercharged 1.8's and go for 60k if your going to take it that far.
Assuming these repower comments were targeted at me since I talked about upgrades and boat value.....but if you're going to repower, why not go for the new 3 cylinder they just announced that is significantly lighter and has higher horsepower than the MR1? Seems to me that would be the better upgrade.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Assuming these repower comments were targeted at me since I talked about upgrades and boat value.....but if you're going to repower, why not go for the new 3 cylinder they just announced that is significantly lighter and has higher horsepower than the MR1? Seems to me that would be the better upgrade.
The new TR1 is more powerful than some non HO MR1s used in skis but less powerful than the MR1 HO found in 230s.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new TR1 is more powerful than some non HO MR1s used in skis but less powerful than the MR1 HO found in 230s.
That changes everything then....I didn't pay enough attention to the fact that it was the nonHO MR1 they were comparing.

Disregard my previous comment about repowering with the new 3 cylinder then.