• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 SX230 Operating With One Engine

reedmd123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2007 Yamaha SX230 HO, recently purchased. The boat is great, my wife and I love it. We were coming back from lunch at our favorite marina restaurant and suddenly the port side engine shutdown. We stopped the boat to troubleshoot but could not directly find the problem. The starboard engine was fine, so we used it to get to the shoreline where there was shallow water. Surprisingly, the issue was the emergency engine kill switch, which we were able to repair. The port side engine started right up with no issues and ran normal. My concern is did we get water in the cooling water intake and damage the cylinders while operating on one engine? What would some of the signs/symptoms be or how could I check to see if that happened? I was over wake speed for a relatively short period of time, 10 minutes, before going down to wake speed after I realized that is what is required to operate with one engine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your engine ran fine you didn't ingest enough water to hydrolock your engine. You do want to check your oil for water. A high oil level or milky oil indicates some water intrusion. If either change your oil, possibly multiple times until the oil is clear.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the engine started up and ran, you’re likely fine. That said, when you did get it to crank again, did you hear anything strange? Hesitation on it turning over, or a knocking noise? If not, you shouldn’t have any worries about hydro locking.

reedmd123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your engine ran fine you didn't ingest enough water to hydrolock your engine. You do want to check your oil for water. A high oil level or milky oil indicates some water intrusion. If either change your oil, possibly multiple times until the oil is clear.
Thank you for the quick response and the good advice! I’ll definitely check first thing tomorrow!

reedmd123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the engine started up and ran, you’re likely fine. That said, when you did get it to crank again, did you hear anything strange? Hesitation on it turning over, or a knocking noise? If not, you shouldn’t have any worries about hydro locking.
Thanks for getting back to me! The engine ran normal, no knocks or hesitation when starting or during operation. I appreciate the response, the boat was a big purchase for our family, I wouldn’t want to have damaged anything our first year out. Thanks again!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These are great boats, and great engines. Maintain them properly, and they’re darn near bulletproof.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The most common failure on these boats in that darn emergency kill switch. thankfully an easy fix!

Jimejoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haven’t had any trouble with the kill switch, are y’all talking about the one with the lanyard that is supposed to connect to the driver ?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, that's the one. The weakest link in these boats is that switch, and the 2 push pin clean out kill switches under the rear hatch. If you have a crank/no start condition, disconnecting that lanyard switch in my opinion is an important troubleshooting step

Last edited:

Jimejoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply, where does everyone buy aftermarket, like gas caps, scuppers?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depends what it is, but as for the scupper, Amazon had the best price when I purchased mine. I've never looked for a replacement gas cap, but it seems like I've seen where someone did, but I believe that was on facebook. Sometimes if you look up the Yamaha part number, and google it, you'll find aftermarket options in the google search.