• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 212x Transom Radio (stock)

bnreed3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just bought this boat the other day - not much wrong with it besides the tower stereo speakers don't work and the transom radio is missing. It is ugly with the wire hanging out. I guess it was a common issue for it to get knocked off and broken? Do you guys recommend just putting a cover over it or should I replace the entire head unit and remote? Are there any recommended options that make it a very simple plug and play?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Going by the vintage of the boat you have listed in your profile, that is just the remote on the swim platform. If that is the case, you can cover the hole, replace the remote, or use it as a good excuse to replace the head unit and buy a new remote for the hole.

What head unit is in the dash? Jensen?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just bought this boat the other day - not much wrong with it besides the tower stereo speakers don't work and the transom radio is missing. It is ugly with the wire hanging out. I guess it was a common issue for it to get knocked off and broken? Do you guys recommend just putting a cover over it or should I replace the entire head unit and remote? Are there any recommended options that make it a very simple plug and play?
I have the same boat essentially. My remote has not worked since I bought the boat in 2012. I'm going to replace it soon and you could have it if you want, but I doubt it works. I'm going to be replacing the Aquatics AV stereo and remote with a Fusion setup. The fusion wireless remote is much smaller so I need to 3D print a spacer. Probably won't get to this until the fall.

Going by the vintage of the boat you have listed in your profile, that is just the remote on the swim platform. If that is the case, you can cover the hole, replace the remote, or use it as a good excuse to replace the head unit and buy a new remote for the hole.

What head unit is in the dash? Jensen?
Aquatics AV

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Aquatics AV
I actually found an Aquatics AV remote and replaced mine once. But after the head unit finally died, I replaced it with a Fusion head unit. I chose to go with the wired Fusion remote, as the NMEA remote has a large display that mirrors the head unit. Works amazing and covered the old remote hole perfectly.

Good luck!

bnreed3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the same boat essentially. My remote has not worked since I bought the boat in 2012. I'm going to replace it soon and you could have it if you want, but I doubt it works. I'm going to be replacing the Aquatics AV stereo and remote with a Fusion setup. The fusion wireless remote is much smaller so I need to 3D print a spacer. Probably won't get to this until the fall.

Aquatics AV
Nice! Thanks for the offer. I think I might end up replacing it as well or just covering it up. What Fusion setup are you looking at? Do you know if the Fusion is simple plug and play with current harness?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice! Thanks for the offer. I think I might end up replacing it as well or just covering it up. What Fusion setup are you looking at? Do you know if the Fusion is simple plug and play with current harness?
If you have ever done a car stereo, plug and play is a relative term.

For an installer, they are all plug and play. Speakers, power, line in, line out, remote power, ant, etc. But for the home installer with little experience, nothing will take the stock plug and plug directly into another stereo, other than a like stereo possibly from the same MFG.

That being said, it really takes nothing to identify the wires, and put together a new harness. For those that do not do this every day, I would stongly suggest a company like crutchfield. Tell them what you have, and what you want, and they will give you the details on what it may take, and possibly have a wiring harness adapter for your head unit.

If you already have an amp installed, then it literally is a simple line out from the new head unit to the amp. It doesn't get any easier. But if you are all stock, you are going to want to crawl under that helm and start identifying wires. Or check out the service manual for a wiring diagram.

Good luck,

bnreed3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good info! The previous owner did install two tower speakers (they don't work anymore, so I need to test if the speakers are bad or maybe a blown fuse in the amp). So, since the amp is there it would be a simple line out from head unit to the amp.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good info! The previous owner did install two tower speakers (they don't work anymore, so I need to test if the speakers are bad or maybe a blown fuse in the amp). So, since the amp is there it would be a simple line out from head unit to the amp.
Literally, that should be it. Possibly a line for sub and there is a blue wire that sends a signal to the amp to fire up when the head unit comes on. But super easy. I literally giggled when I saw just that running to my old head unit, as I then realized I didn't even have to strip a wire to install.

Now in your case, you will want to troubleshoot that amp to see if all channels are firing for your tower speakers. That will take some time to figure out if both are out, is there a fader setting on your head unit wacked. Or if no sound, if a channel is out on the amp. If a wire were damaged, it would probably not take both speakers out, but rather one at a time.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you need something sooner, I just pulled the OEM clarion unit from my boat that has the round transom remote. Happy to send your way. I replaced it with a Fusion head unit and wire transom remote. Couldn't be happier. Only downfall was that I had to have Bruce (on the forum) make me a backplate to cover the hole, as it was larger than the Fusion unit.

As for wiring, the Fusion head unit has plugs that are all labeled and essentially the same color as what the boat has. Probably an industry standard. Take your time, butt splice and heat wrap it, and you are fine. No problems on my end.

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC

Aquatics AV
Hi, do you still have the transom remote? Was it for a Sony head unit? I’m interested even if it doesn’t work. I just don’t want to see the wires hanging out on my 08 212x. Thx. Todd

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I actually found an Aquatics AV remote and replaced mine once. But after the head unit finally died, I replaced it with a Fusion head unit. I chose to go with the wired Fusion remote, as the NMEA remote has a large display that mirrors the head unit. Works amazing and covered the old remote hole perfectly.

Good luck!
Any pictures? Thx

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi, do you still have the transom remote? Was it for a Sony head unit? I’m interested even if it doesn’t work. I just don’t want to see the wires hanging out on my 08 212x. Thx. Todd
No it was for an Aquatics AV head unit. The boat is in storage right now. I should have access to it by the beginning of April.

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC

Good luck!
Pictures? where would you suggest I order one of those?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Of the fusion, or the old Aquatics stuff? Finding the old AV stuff is next to impossible. The fusion stuff is a bit spendy, but works so well.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found my Fusion head-unit on eBay. But if you search, you can find some deals.