• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 AR210 Steering

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took my first weekend trip in my new 2008 AR210 Memorial Day Weekend to Dale Hollow Lake in KY. Awesome lake. My question is, when I am sitting idle steering moves lock to lock with no issue at all, however when steering at approx 35MPH in rougher water steering seems very tight and difficult. Don’t recall this on previous stern drive. Is this normal? BTW I have XL thrust vectors installed as well. Thanks Brian

Last edited:

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took my first weekend trip in my new 2008 AR210 Memorial Day Weekend to Dale Hollow Lake in KY. Awesome lake. My question is, when I am sitting idle steering moves lock to lock with no issue at all, however when steering at approx 35MPH in rougher water steering seems very tight and difficult. Don’t recall this on previous stern drive. Is this normal? BTW I have XL thrust vectors installed as well. Thanks Brian
Any help on this one? Hopefully everybody is on the water😀

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi! Yup...guilty here...I was on the water. Steering will get a little different (tighter) feel when underway. It should not be difficult and consistent side to side. The TVXL should spring up right around 3000 RPM if set per the install instructions. If they are staying down, they will make for a heavier feel. As a 2008, original cables could be calling for replacement; but it is a good thing it feels easy at idle.

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi! Yup...guilty here...I was on the water. Steering will get a little different (tighter) feel when underway. It should not be difficult and consistent side to side. The TVXL should spring up right around 3000 RPM if set per the install instructions. If they are staying down, they will make for a heavier feel. As a 2008, original cables could be calling for replacement; but it is a good thing it feels easy at idle.
Thanks. I will be taking it down to Norris Lake next week and will do some more investigation. By the way, I have a plant I do Marketing for in Easley, SC and I am a huge Clemson fan!! Go Tigers! #ALLIN

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I paid special attention to the steering feel for you today; which has become a bit second nature for me. The steering can feel very heavy or tight as you roll deeper into turns. There is a bit of a loose zone near centered until you get past a certain nozzle angle. I find tight turns at slower plowing speeds and high rpm feel the heaviest. IMO your boat is likely totally normal. You have to overcome/redirect the straight-line force of the jet wash, and in some conditions, flowing water forces on the nozzles to make turns, so that is the force you feel. Ironically, (and logically) you can cruise without a finger on the wheel and it will run true. For low rate turns cruising at speed you can turn with just a pinky or even adjusting one of the throttles.

I am not a Tiger but happy for them. Bring the boat on down sometime. Keowee and Jocassee are awesome lakes. I frequent Tellico a good bit but have not made it to Norris yet.

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I paid special attention to the steering feel for you today; which has become a bit second nature for me. The steering can feel very heavy or tight as you roll deeper into turns. There is a bit of a loose zone near centered until you get past a certain nozzle angle. I find tight turns at slower plowing speeds and high rpm feel the heaviest. IMO your boat is likely totally normal. You have to overcome/redirect the straight-line force of the jet wash, and in some conditions, flowing water forces on the nozzles to make turns, so that is the force you feel. Ironically, (and logically) you can cruise without a finger on the wheel and it will run true. For low rate turns cruising at speed you can turn with just a pinky or even adjusting one of the throttles.

I am not a Tiger but happy for them. Bring the boat on down sometime. Keowee and Jocassee are awesome lakes. I frequent Tellico a good bit but have not made it to Norris yet.
Really appreciate the detailed input. This is exactly what I was talkiinv about. For example, when running about 35 and 7000 RPM’s trying to roll over a wave to one side or the other I felt the most resistance.

I travel down towards Tellico quite a bit to Vonore. TN. Haven’t been on the lake but looks beautiful from the golf course. Played Lake Keowee as well and would love to tow her down for lake and golf!

Thanks again.

Brian

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe just a little, but I don't seem to remember the steering get real tight in my 2007 AR210. I have Thrust Vectors too. Not sure if you've looked back there underway, but the entire back of the boat is out of the water (including jet nozzles and TV's) Here is a shot off my GoPro for kicks.

Screenshot_20190605-021949_Video Player.jpg

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe just a little, but I don't seem to remember the steering get real tight in my 2007 AR210. I have Thrust Vectors too. Not sure if you've looked back there underway, but the entire back of the boat is out of the water (including jet nozzles and TV's) Here is a shot off my GoPro for kicks.

View attachment 96139
Wow! Had no idea they were out of the water to that extent. I will be on the water 4 days next week and will get a better assessment. Thanks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If the boat is on the trailer and you grab one nozzle using one hand and you can get both nozzles to move side to side the problem is not in the helm or cables or nozzles. Based on the depth and size of the thrust vectors and reports from people that they can feel resistance at slow speed from those I would guess that you may have one malfunctioning and staying in the water so try looking there after doing the nozzle test I mentioned.