• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 ar230 25hrs, couple speed/rpm questions

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on what sounds like a great find. One word of caution. You may want to change out your scupper with a SS one. Those plastic ones are known to crack and can cause serious water intrusion if it does. Good luck with everything else.
WOW! I just read the threads about the plastic scupper cracking. I'll order the attwood SS one now, and take some gorilla tape to the lake this weekend. If the bilge starts pumping like crazy I'll jump in and seal up the scupper!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just caught this thread. Congrats on the purchase. I picked up an 08 AR210 last Fall that needed some work: https://jetboaters.net/threads/hello-from-texas.15924/

I'm very happy with the boat, except the noise level. My next mission is to quiet it down.

So, where did you stand on the RPM? Are you still <10k on the starboard side?

-Greg

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just caught this thread. Congrats on the purchase. I picked up an 08 AR210 last Fall that needed some work: https://jetboaters.net/threads/hello-from-texas.15924/

I'm very happy with the boat, except the noise level. My next mission is to quiet it down.

So, where did you stand on the RPM? Are you still <10k on the starboard side?

-Greg
Hi! I tested wide-open throttle on Sunday, and the port engine does hit 10k. The starboard engine only hits 9.2 K. It was the port engine that had the dinged up impeller to so I am kind of confused. But both engines are still over filled with oil, so I am hoping when I get them at the right level next time they will have better RPMs. I can't imagine the impeller is having an issue with only 25 hours on the boat, but who knows. My lake elevation is only 1050 feet.
Like I said, maybe I was spoiled by the exciter but it seems like this Ar230 needs to get pretty high rpm's to get any decent speed. I think it's the impellers but I'm hoping it's just oil overfill or spark plugs. When I had my exciter 270, I had a Engine with zero psi middle cylinder for several years, but the boat seemed to go faster at the same RPMs Compared to this ar230. Just going off memory but exciter maybe 5500 and 30-35mph. This ar230 is 8000 rpm and 30mph

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 230 doesn't really produce any useful amount of thrust somewhere between 6 and 6.5 k rpms.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A worn wear ring/dinged impeller will affect the ability of the pump to push water, but you should still be running full RPM, unless it's a bearing issue. But you said you checked that and both pumps appeared to turn smoothly?

I would take care of the oil overfill situation, then check the air filter for oil--make sure it's nice and clean, and change then plugs again. You might also consider getting a TinyTach to be sure the RPM's on the dash are true.

-Greg

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, bearings are good. I pulled each cone off and wiped out the stock grease and put new grease in. I put new moly on the splines too. I think the pumps turn smoothly, they sound good. I could spin the shafts with my hand with ease before I reinstalled them.
I will put new spark plugs in and drain the oil to the full level. Air filters are clean.

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: replacing the scupper valve this evening. Mine was cracked right in front of the rubber flapper all the way around, and when I was loosening the ss strap inside the hull, it let go. I think just a little bit of factory silicone was holding it in place.
Might install my rod holder for my grill too, and some underwater lights. Lots of accessories to install. My tower speakers are still unwired too; just for looks at this point!
I rolled out my BBQ to the driveway so I can multitask.
Lastly; if anyone was curious; the magma platter shelf attaches to the Kuuma grill without issue.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good job, make sure to check all your clamps on your hoses since you've got it opened up

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good job, make sure to check all your clamps on your hoses since you've got it opened up
Yep, good tip.
Got the scupper installed...
To install the underwater lights or not....? I really don't want to drill into my boat! I have four lights, plus the drain plug light. I was thinking install three of the four light kit and keep one as a spare... Plus the drain plug light.

Attachments

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep us posted on your approach(es)!
I find filling in the large (huge) voids is the best method.
I'm obsessed with quieting her down, or won't keep her. Getting close, I think.

--

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put some 3/8 closed cell foam tape in the drip groove around the entire engine compartment hatch. Took all of 10 minutes. I was skeptical it would do anything. First ride out, I was SHOCKED at how much quieter it was. You can actually hold a conversation in the cockpit at 7k RPM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FQ5A6C6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Not sure how much more I'll do as I have so many other projects. But this was a success for sure.

-Greg

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To install the underwater lights or not....? I really don't want to drill into my boat! I have four lights, plus the drain plug light.
Can you make an aluminum bracket that screws into the boat, with the lights attached to the bracket? You can then use a much smaller hole to snake the wires above the water line. Might not be as pretty, but will keep you from drilling large holes in the boat.

-Greg

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed my 30 degree rod holder today, still debating the underwater lights. Here's pics of the rod holder installed for the magma grill.

The fiberglass was real thick on this corner. It also had wood sandwiched between fiberglass... So I fiberglass resined the edges of my hole cut, and then put a bead of 4200 between the rod holder and the seadek so that water can't rot the wood.

Attachments

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: replacing the scupper valve this evening. Mine was cracked right in front of the rubber flapper all the way around, and when I was loosening the ss strap inside the hull, it let go. I think just a little bit of factory silicone was holding it in place.
Might install my rod holder for my grill too, and some underwater lights. Lots of accessories to install. My tower speakers are still unwired too; just for looks at this point!
I rolled out my BBQ to the driveway so I can multitask.
Lastly; if anyone was curious; the magma platter shelf attaches to the Kuuma grill without issue.
Glad to hear you took the time to fix the scupper. That is exactly what happens to others and who knows when they would have let go.

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
starboard engine wouldnt start after a quick trip around the lake saturday. Cranks but won't fire. So limped it back to dock on one engine. Pulled the spark plugs out to make sure there was no water in the engine from operating on one engine. Seemed dry. Checked all lanyards. Oil is on full mark. Disconnected fuel line and there's tons of pressure. Also ran the sparkplug, fuel pump, and ignition coil tests in YDI and I can hear it all doing its thing. Cold compression is 130-150 psi all cylinders.

Only thing that looks weird in YDS is the oil pressure sensor is ON. All others are OFF, and it's also OFF on the working port engine.

What should I check next? Oil is at full mark, and doesn't seem to smell like fuel or look like it has water. Looks pretty clean.

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got it to start! Now it is saying throttle position sensor out of range. -17 degrees. And TPS voltage out of range... .010v

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Disconnect the lanyard switch and or activate/shake as you can. Mine was busted and it caused exactly this, for one engine only. Disconnecting the switch cured the problem immediately for me. Supposedly also the rear hatch switches have 2 stages and may cause this if broken. Worth a try if lanyard is not to blame.

(Never mind, you got it started, so It was not the lanyard!)

bobbyc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok I fixed the TPS, it was the big harness that is behind and below the airfilter box. I pulled it apart and reconnected it, and my TPS readings bent back to normal in YDS.
Hope to get back on the lake tomorrow.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I hope it was just the harness but on my boat the TPS went bad. It did not present any performance issue except at idle. Please report back on how your day goes.