• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 Yamaha SX230- going to look at one, could use some tips

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi everyone, really appreciate the board. i'm going to look at a boat this weekend (if it doesn't sell first) and i feel like, from reading this board, that i have at least a hint of knowledge about the model. then again, i haven't owned a boat in 20 years and never a jet. i get the sense that this model between 2007-2009 is about as worry-free as can be found. the owner says it has no hour meter(s), that he hasn't used it much, is only the second owner and that the condition is excellent. the photos, for what it's worth, seem to confirm that. the weather should be fine for a water test so looking forward to that. any advice any of you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He is correct that the boat does not have a hour meter but if you can get hold of the YDS software and cable you can get the hours with it.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hi everyone, really appreciate the board. i'm going to look at a boat this weekend (if it doesn't sell first) and i feel like, from reading this board, that i have at least a hint of knowledge about the model. then again, i haven't owned a boat in 20 years and never a jet. i get the sense that this model between 2007-2009 is about as worry-free as can be found. the owner says it has no hour meter(s), that he hasn't used it much, is only the second owner and that the condition is excellent. the photos, for what it's worth, seem to confirm that. the weather should be fine for a water test so looking forward to that. any advice any of you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Where are you located? You might find a member on here that could go with you and offer some advice.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in Dallas but the boat is a little over an hour away.

Barracuda67

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tested and bought a 2007 SX230 earlier this year (May), not much to it. I brought a bunch of tools with me on the test ride in case I needed to tear into anything for inspection, however, for me, it became obvious pretty quickly that the boat and engines were in good condition and the owner knew what he was talking about.

Engines should hit 10,200rpms at full throttle and should be doing 45-47mph with 2-3 people. Also run boat at 7000-8000rpm, which is a typical cruise for me (30-32mph). If there are any concerns with engines, next step would probably be compression test.

Ask about maintenance history, specifically spark plugs and oil change frequency. Factory scupper valve is plastic, check/ask if it was replaced with stainless - lots of threads here on the subject.

Also, as mentioned above, YDS software with cable can read the total hours (plus breakdown of hours by rpm range) and any error codes.

Best of luck!

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks barracuda, great info. i saw the scupper valve listed on the "known issues" thread, as well.