• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2010 AR240 Rehab

How are things going with the boat ? You decide if your going to do anything with the oil coolers ?

How are things going with the boat ? You decide if your going to do anything with the oil coolers ?

I’m making progress but not at record pace. I started getting into the engine area which needed a lot of cleaning. I ended up putting in new spark plugs and cleaning the engine compartment.

My next step was going to be draining the tank and put some fresh gas with sea foam. As started this I realized I couldn’t bare to work in there anymore because of how dirty everything was. So I decided to clean the interior doing any more engine work. I started today and it’s beginning to look like a boat again. As you can see from the pictures the boat was very dirty. I had to crawl into every crevice to get it clean. It’s satisfying because as I clean it looks brand new under all the dirt and mud.

After I get it clean I’ll get back to the new gas and see if it runs ok. Then I’ll pull the oil cooler and replace the seals and bolts. I’ll keep posting pictures as I make my way through it.
5BFD40D5-185A-48DD-97B4-A72486A906A7.jpegADEF4A7F-8D4C-4253-9BB3-B707B8880F52.jpeg2A994938-DD3F-4BF2-B237-7FE7D70AB17A.jpegD017FCBD-3E11-4A9E-808C-3F4342449497.jpegB9656A7F-4978-4656-A159-E0D530C7502A.jpeg4C0950EB-BD6C-48B0-9818-57C366BBEDB1.jpeg65E9CBC5-2CCA-42FE-9A75-A847E6DF8F3B.jpeg57AC6F8F-17E5-47A0-9DF5-C49FE72F5B2F.jpeg

Attachments

• 65FAAE3C-E2FD-4C95-B345-B89E7A10B4D2.jpeg
    65FAAE3C-E2FD-4C95-B345-B89E7A10B4D2.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Starting to look much better. Once you do the upholstery it will really turn it around.

Starting to look much better. Once you do the upholstery it will really turn it around.
Thanks, I agree on the upholstery. I was thinking about doing that once I know it's running right. I'm still nervous about the starboard side motor. Fingers crossed it's just bad gas. I should know more in the next few weeks.

I was able to drain the gas from the tank last weekend and add about 5 gallons of new gas with sea foam. Today I started it up and it seemed like the new plugs and gas cleared up the engine issue. Not sure about the sound so maybe someone can comment. I still have the impeller shaft out so there’s a chance something is going on there but I’ll get that installed next weekend and find out.

I ran both engines for a bit and then sucked out the oil. I then ordered new oil cooler bolts and all the random hose clips that were rusted. I also ordered some new decals in preparation for buffing the clear coat. I attempted to order new reusable air filters and a ribbon delete but ran into issues with part numbers. I think I’ll be able to figure that out this week and get those ordered.

Next step is fixing the oil cooler broken bolt, replacing the rusted clips, and cleaning the engine bay. After that I’ll install the starboard side impeller and run it again. If all check out I’ll order new upholstery and while I’m waiting I’ll start the long process of buffing out the clean coat.

May have a slight stumble at idle. It will take some running to get the injectors and such cleared out but sounds good. You should also pull the valve cover to check the condition of the timing chain and when you do the oil cooler you will need to drill and tap the one hole for the larger bolt.

Another update to share. I was able to remove the oil cooler, extract the broken bolt, and replace with a new. I put new seals in and replaced put new oil and filters in both engines. Just to be safe I also replaced bolt 3 on the other oil cooler even though it wasn't broken.
20220326_014217273_iOS.jpg20220326_014203729_iOS.jpg

After that I replaced many of the rusted bolts and hose clamps. It's looking a lot cleaner in there now. Once I had it all buttoned up I ran both engines to make sure all was well. Both fired right up and ran great.

I have new upholstery on order from Hugo @The Upholstery Guy. He has been great to work with in picking the right color scheme and material. We spoke yesterday and I should have the new skins by next week. I'll make sure to post the install as I progress through it. I went with medium gray carbon, marble piping, and chalk white with diamond stitching at the backs.
66611742578__B2B38A2E-6BC0-499B-9B07-4B01399858D8.JPG67200524553__18FCB690-4B07-4DB3-80DD-72B7977D67E5.JPEG67200527483__5C566113-E6B7-43DB-BE83-80C6B73ABCFA.JPEG20220419_030850644_iOS.jpg

In the meantime I've started removing the decals on the hull and am having a heck of a time getting them off. The decal comes off but all the glue is left on. I'm using plastic razer blades, 3M rubber wheel, goo be gone, you name it to get it off there. Also working on getting the gel coat cleaned up as it is heavily oxidized. Below are pictures of all the items I've worked on.
20220301_204102407_iOS.jpgIMG_5515.JPG

Here is where I tested a spot by hand to see if the gel would shine up. I think it will look good when I get the machine on it.
IMG_5516.JPG

Really excited to see how your upholstery from Hugo looks and how the install process goes. I’m considering that project within a year or two.

@sjbrush , looks great and glad to read the engines are squared away. Consider using an eraser wheel on the decal residue.
E5C405BF-B893-49EB-AC67-721E50C138B4.png

Eraser wheels work great, but test it somewhere out of view, they can cook the gelcoat. I've been able to remove sticker residue by rubbing....

Yeah I could tell the 3m wheel was getting hot and the performance degraded. I had read to be careful so I’m taking it easy and paying attention to the temp. For the most part the plastic blade and goo be gone is working but it’s slow.

I think the real challenge will be the traction mats. I think I’ll use a combination oscillating smooth blade, 3m wheel, and goo be gone.

I used goof off instead of goo gone as well as an eraser wheel to remove hydro turf (oem and aftermarket) and found that it worked great.

I used goof off instead of goo gone as well as an eraser wheel to remove hydro turf (oem and aftermarket) and found that it worked great.

Ok I’ll try some of that. I noticed I have two types of goo gone one seems to be sort of an oil/gel and the other is more like an alcohol. I was nervous to use the alcohol version because it says painters pal on it and I didn’t want to hurt the gel.
image.jpg

Also when you say eraser wheel did you use the 3M version like this or one that looks like it has teeth?

image.jpg

wow, wow, wow! That is an amazing transformation. Shame on the person that let that boat get so bad!

Nice work. Quick tip on the traction mats. A heat gun prior to pealing may help get the majority of the glue off with the mat itself. Anything you can do to minimize the removal after is a help. Your fingertips will thank me.

Good luck!

Ok I’ll try some of that. I noticed I have two types of goo gone one seems to be sort of an oil/gel and the other is more like an alcohol. I was nervous to use the alcohol version because it says painters pal on it and I didn’t want to hurt the gel.
View attachment 176012

Also when you say eraser wheel did you use the 3M version like this or one that looks like it has teeth?

View attachment 176010
If you use goof off don’t forget to go back over the area with soap/water to neutralize the goof off. I didn’t have any problems /gel coat damage when I used and neutralized goof off this way.
I used the eraser wheel with teeth. Actually I went through two such wheels but I had a lot of hydro turf to remove both stock and aftermarket.

Last edited:
For the decal glue I ended up switching to 91% isopropyl alcohol and it’s been working well. I now have one side complete and just need to start buffing out the gel coat.
image.jpg
In the meantime I received most of the new upholstery and started in my first seat cushion. I can tell there is a bit of a learning curve but the first one looks good and I’m loving the tools I picked up to make the job easier. Lost of staples to remove and an art to stretch the new material smoothly. The long nose Sailrite stapler I bought is amazing. I’ll post my progress along the way. With about 28 cushions to complete this might take me all month :)
image.jpg
4A3EB05D-D9E9-491D-81C8-ECFE205D93E7.jpegCFBCEFF7-A8A0-4D39-826F-C5B41EC47BE9.jpeg5C51C4D4-3B8D-4E30-8B65-D883706B5C9F.jpeg278B4592-4E69-494E-BA44-9497E8167D63.jpeg

I bet you saved a ton by skinning those seats yourself. Did you sent the old ones in for them to use as templates? Or did you buy from a company that already had the pattern?

I have done this with snowmobile seats in the past. It's a super satisfying project. But by no means as big of a task as you just did. Nice work.

I purchased the upholstery from @The Upholstery Guy who already had the templates. I have about 70% of the upholstery delivered and I’m installing it while waiting on the final 12 pieces.

I’m not sure I’ll be able to complete all the work myself. If the large curved pieces prove to be too difficult then I’ll see if I can find a local upholster to finish those for me. Either way should be a good savings which I can spend on a full set of Marine May or Sea Deck. I was hoping a group buy would come up for that soon.

Back