• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2010 Yamaha 240SX Shaft seal leak at hull

Paul Howland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last summer, on our last day out, I had a tow rope sucked into the grate and wrapped around the shaft. This year I used a box knife and cut the rope until it all came off. We took the boat out for several days on the lake and had water coming in and the bilge pump coming on frequently. It kept getting worse. Finally, the last time out it was really bad. the water in the engine compartment caused the fuses to blow for both ignition switches.
I did not realize at first that the rope that I pulled out had caused the seal to fail. This became evident when I put it back on the trailer and saw a lot of water running out of the grate area.

I am going to pull the impeller assembly with the shaft, remove the grate and replace the seal. I have never replace the seal in the boat or in the wave runners that I used to have. I will take pictures.

Any suggestions or tips on how to replace the seal?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I will say that is not actually how it is done. I just did one last week and I will be doing another one when my bruised ribs heal from leaning in the hull , I am doing my skies with over 600 hours on them just as routine maintenance, but on a boat the same basic process is necessary, pull pump ,pull engine or in my case I moved it forward to get the intermediate bearing out , replace bearing housing etc " you will need a press to do this and measure the exact location for the inner splined tube and vibration dampener to be installed.
Then put it all back together, first the new bearing housing with the parts pressed in place properly, remember to install the lineup pins also, then the engine and be sure it is exactly where it was when you removed it so don't remove the motor mounts just the top motor mount bolts , reinstall the engine then the pump and check all hoses, I just went out and test drove the one I did last week and everything is fine.
My advice doing the driveshaft seal is not something you should try if you have not done them in the past .

Paul Howland

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you
It’s great to have someone with hands on experience provide the steps to follow.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Paul Howland assuming this is the source of the water leak, take a look at this diagram. Part #4 includes a rubber insert that mates to part #16; this in combination with oil seal #8 form a watertight seal.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/boat/2010/sx240-high-output-sxt1800dj/jet-unit-2

If you want to save money, you can pull yours and make a determination if the water intrusion is the rubber insert or the oil seal. Or, if you wanted to order parts ahead of time to do the job quicker, it would parts #3 through #9. (though the circlips are reusable)

You will need to pull the pump, loosen the water box connection, all four motor mounts, and then pull the motor forward enough so that you can remove the housing. Then use a shop press to assemble the new housing and press out/press in the shaft. A pair of retaining ring pliers is also needed.

Study the parts in your engine compartment, and then the diagram and it should start to make sense.

Note that we've also seen ropes around the driveshaft crack the angled plastic insert that the shaft runs through where it meets the hull... there is a thread about that somewhere here, but you'll need to search for it.

-Greg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Note that we've also seen ropes around the driveshaft crack the angled plastic insert that the shaft runs through where it meets the hull... there is a thread about that somewhere here, but you'll need to search for it.
There have been several threads on this - tunnel dmage due to the rope ingestion and "cocooning" up causing cracks. Here is one:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/repairing-damage-and-a-leak-caused-caused-by-a-rope-being-sucked-into-the-impeller.18078/
I would want to address this first, I think? If the leakage is due to fiberglass tunnel cracks, the intermediate bearing may or may not be damaged/involved, right?

(I'm asking, NOT telling)

--

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. That is correct.

You can test by tilting the boat up as far as you can, and then filling the back end up with water so it covers the pump tunnel. Look for leaks outside the boat.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. That is correct.

You can test by tilting the boat up as far as you can, and then filling the back end up with water so it covers the pump tunnel. Look for leaks outside the boat.
20210305_113407.jpg20210305_113342.jpg

Leak where this shaft connects to the bellows...any advice?

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for this fiberglass thing the shaft goes into on the online parts diagram so I can understand how the two pieces are connected and sealed but the parts diagrams are not clear enough to even find these parts...help anyone?