• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2011 242 Limited S - corrosion question

Simon Curwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all, new to the forum (which is awesome - have learned a huge mount already!), was looking at a 2011 LS today and was surprised by the amount of corrosion for a freshwater boat - could I ask for some comments/feedback? Thanks in advance?

Attachments

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Simon Curwood Welcome to the forum. In your first pic. of the sacrificial "zinc" anode or magnesium in fresh water is where you should expect to see signs of oxidation, I see a little there not that much. Hard to see much in the other pics. Ask the seller if there has been high water in the engine bay. It is a 7 YO boat now, so light oxidation could be present and usually easily wiped off. Factors such as high relative humidity, temperature changes and condensation can also contribute to light oxidation on aluminum parts. Some folks here spray lubricants on their jetpumps to reduce oxidation, just do not spray the "zinc".

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That doesn't look bad. The anodes actually look pretty good. I always cleaned these areas of my boat really good twice a year. My nozzles got the worst of it when I had the boat sitting the water before I got a lift. The condition of the water also makes a difference as far as corrosion and stains on the hull. All in this doesn't look bad.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I always spray the entire engine compartment and the nozzles and exterior components with CRC 6008 6-56 Multi-Purpose Lubricant.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That’s not bad at all. Just looks like some mineral deposits etc...

Simon Curwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks all - sorry I have been away a couple of days. The dealer also confirmed it was a 1 owner local boat - looks like I might be able to take it further....again, appreciate the feedback and help!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Simon Curwood I have a 2012 and mine looks more or less the same. I have been in salt water only once ( 15 hours).
If you post your location some location jetboater might be able to go and inspect with you.