• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 242LS Overhaul and paint

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Im starting this thread to document my restoration. A little history, I bought a new AR210 in 2019 after one year I had a project at my business and needed all available resources so I sold it July of 20, great boat, perfect space, gutless 3cyl engines, horrible speed and power, 37mph wonder is what I called it. So I start looking at the new AR250s, love that boat, Sehorns in Shawnee said that Yamaha has cut 20% from their available boats this year and that they only had 210s left. April of 21 I found this 2012 242 in Tulsa with 400hrs on the clock, the guy had just moved here from Miami FL. Boat was all there but absolutely disgusting, I didnt know that hording also applied to boat owners. We all try to look things over when we buy, but, we all know that once you had a few hrs with it in your garage you start seeing things you wish you had not seen. Trailer brake lines had been cut, calipers removed, rotors looked like layered biscuits, and the equalizer was paper thin all from the salt water. Im going to go out on a limb and say the trailer was in a flood from a hurricane? Maybe you salt water guys can explain why a 10 year old trailer looks like the Titanic. Once I started cleaning EVERYTHING with Acetone, including the fairly fugly reupholstered seats, I noticed some overspray on the tower and the paint felt grainy to me and realized this boats top half has been repainted before. I wet sanded and polished the sides to removed oxidation and the more I looked at my $38K purchase the more I became disgusted with myself, and embarrassed to be honest. I ordered SeaDek from Jetboatpilot.com and got the full option pieces. The more I thought about the nightmare of removing the factory mat I thought it would be a shame to install it over stained white paint. So one evening I decided to stop thinking about it, I dug out my containers from my auto painting days and got started. Originally I was going to just paint it all black, I searched the internet for a custom painted yamaha and could not find anything. I wanted it to stand out from the crowd and with the tan seats orange was the color I came up with, Hemi orange from a 2019 Challenger to be exact. I am posting a lot of pictures, some are the boat, some are the trailer and some are the removal of the junky engine hatch pad. I painted the underside of the hatch and am in the process of installing Dynamat pad I have left over from my 66 ford I recently restored. A few things you will notice is I installed new latches, Yamaha has taken weeks to send them so I found the black ones on Amazon and much cheaper, had them in 24hrs, I think the black looks much better. I left the side strips of Seadeck off the back because I think it looks too gawdy, you tell me. Also I left the pads off infront of the windsheild because I have a antenna on the helm so they pulled those from the order. I ordered pads for a AR240 so that I get the full mat over the jet clean out hatch, I am not a fan of those cushions on the floor, I feel like I am standing on the furniture. At this point I am waiting for the engine hatch paint to dry to install the dynamat, and I am waiting on trailer parts. I live in Oklahoma so I dont see salt water in my near future, the trailer place will order me just painted parts not galvanized.

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have installed all the seadek available on my 2010 242 ls and have found the stern side pieces useful for grip and to protect the gel coat. The pads on the front make a nice place to sit (or stand when deploying / stowing the Bimini top. I also replaced the swim deck seat cushion bottoms with duel density sea deck for the reason you stated above.

the handle on the swim deck gets a lot of use on my boat, if you anticipate the same consider replacing it with a new one or stripping the paint off of the one you have unless you are confident that the paint won’t chip or peel.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you, I am still in the process. Picked up all new trailer suspension just now. Having a machine shop make the equalizers because shorlandr says all on back order. Will be finishing up by Sunday hopefully.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have installed all the seadek available on my 2010 242 ls and have found the stern side pieces useful for grip and to protect the gel coat. The pads on the front make a nice place to sit (or stand when deploying / stowing the Bimini top. I also replaced the swim deck seat cushion bottoms with duel density sea deck for the reason you stated above.

the handle on the swim deck gets a lot of use on my boat, if you anticipate the same consider replacing it with a new one or stripping the paint off of the one you have unless you are confident that the paint won’t chip or peel.
It was supposed to get taped off. When I noticed it I was on a step ladder holding a paint gun full of paint and really just didnt want to stop. I did not use the pads by the windshield since I have a marine radio antenna mounted on the starboard and plan to mount a stereo antenna on the port.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you going to go with the standard bearing buddie, oil filled or something else? What about the brakes (electric or both axles)? I’m living vicariously, it’s a lot cheaper.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That rust on the trailer is not abnormal at all. I boat in brackish water and sprayed every square inch of the trailer off after every single outing and my calipers still rusted to the rotors and the brake lines completely rusted away.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you going to go with the standard bearing buddie, oil filled or something else? What about the brakes (electric or both axles)? I’m living vicariously, it’s a lot cheaper.
I spent my military time in North Carolina and even offered up a brand new 2002 Z71 to the ocean gods once so I know what salt water can do lol. Being in Oklahoma almost all trailers are just painted with the slide tonge brakes that we all see across the US.
I apologize, I had to skip out during my last reply. As I was saying here in fresh water a standard old fashion hub cap with plain grease will last years even on boat trailers. I have some stainless type with grease zerks. I dont have a preference on either. This trailer came with slide tongue over hydraulic. For right now I am running zero brakes! My 2500 has good brakes and I pull the boat to the lake and home down county roads. My plan is to switch to electric drum type with no slide tongue. The only problem is I do plan on a Miami to Bimini run next year, not sure what the electric brakes would do. even just in the salt water one time unloading and one time loading.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That rust on the trailer is not abnormal at all. I boat in brackish water and sprayed every square inch of the trailer off after every single outing and my calipers still rusted to the rotors and the brake lines completely rusted away.
Thank you, at first I thought it was from lack of care, but, once I thought about it I suppose the trailer would have sat for hours at the docks while not being rinsed off. Being a land lubber we get spoiled with 80 year old cars not rusting and boats just being dirty not rusty. I picked up new leafs, hubs, bearings and seals today. U bolts are months out so although I dont like to I will reuse them. Equalizers are a no go so I had a machine shop make some. They will not have the brass sleeve but my 18' utility trailer is 20 years old and its just plain steel with not even a nylon bushing. Should get me by atleast a few years before the bolt is worn down.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am missing the cup holder piece for the port seat that goes on the top of the head compartment. Very expensive online from Yamaha. Anyone have one or have something they made to replace it?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you mean the dual cup holder combing box that makes up the trailing edge of the shelf in front of the copilot. Part number 74 on the attached diagram. Correct? If so I don’t know of tried and true alternative but think one could be created by a shop which offers 3d printing, at least the plastic part anyway. The other alternative which comes to mind is carve one out of wood.
D76F7E62-30C1-4214-A416-C86487E7DE19.png

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think you mean the dual cup holder combing box that makes up the trailing edge of the shelf in front of the copilot. Part number 74 on the attached diagram. Correct? If so I don’t know of tried and true alternative but think one could be created by a shop which offers 3d printing, at least the plastic part anyway. The other alternative which comes to mind is carve one out of wood.
View attachment 153070
You are correct on the part number in the exploded view. I am considering making one myself out of wood. My other thought is to line that area with the extra Seadek I have then install a grab handle since thats what people try to use it for and installing two cup holders from a motorcycle or sometrhing that looks nice.

Karl schmoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can I ask what the blue paint is called on the 2012? Trying to figure it out for mine.
Thank you

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can I ask what the blue paint is called on the 2012? Trying to figure it out for mine.
Thank you
I could be wrong, but Yacht Blue was 2011 and 2014. I do believe the 2012 models were more neutral colors.

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I could be wrong, but Yacht Blue was 2011 and 2014. I do believe the 2012 models were more neutral colors.
The 2012 242 Limited S hull was available in Champagne (SXT1800GL w/the black ski tower), or Black (SXT1800HL w/the silver ski tower).

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 153070
The part you're referencing to (#74, Holder, Drink Lh F2D-U565A-20-00) has been discontinued and is no longer available.
We ran into that same problem last year (someone used it as a grab handle), and with a little research, we ordered one from the 2013 parts list (#74 - Holder, Drink Lh F2D-U565A-01-00).
We found the best price at Boats.net (F2D-U565A-01-00 HOLDER, DRINK LH (Yamaha) $157.46)

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The part you're referencing to (#74, Holder, Drink Lh F2D-U565A-20-00) has been discontinued and is no longer available.
We ran into that same problem last year (someone used it as a grab handle), and with a little research, we ordered one from the 2013 parts list (#74 - Holder, Drink Lh F2D-U565A-01-00).
We found the best price at Boats.net (F2D-U565A-01-00 HOLDER, DRINK LH (Yamaha) $157.46)
Upon receiveing it, we still had to go out and
It arrives in a stock black color without cup holders, so we went to our nearest auto parts store and purchased a can of spray-on dye that closely resembled that original color, reused our original drink holders, and it's a good as new.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks good! As mentioned above the rust is normal. Even if you are just near the salt water everything rusts! I see you were in the Marines Semper-Fi!

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks good! As mentioned above the rust is normal. Even if you are just near the salt water everything rusts! I see you were in the Marines Semper-Fi!
Thank you. Roger that! Unfortunately I fubared my port engine my 4time out. The clean out plug seats are corroded and I have grease my plugs to get them to stay and didn’t get them seated right plus my bilge pump wasn’t working. Flooded the engine compartment. I started a thread for that.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damn that sucks! Hope you go the engine taken care of quickly. I will go find the other thread.