• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 spark plugs??

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Anyone have any ideas why my 10mm wrenches and sockets do not fit on the bolts to remove the spark plugs? I think my metric tools might be defective?? 10mm is too big, 9 mm too small....Are these bolts some odd size?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
10mm = .3937

9mm = .3543

try a 3/8" = .375

Other then that I am getting ready to do my plugs so I can report back when I do.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I tried 3/8 also, and a 7/16.. nothing fits. the 10mm is very close but is just big enough that it slips. The bolts are not stripped at all, they have never been out, original plugs yet.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What brand of tools are they? I am thinking it should be a 10mm

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I tried 3/8 also, and a 7/16.. nothing fits. the 10mm is very close but is just big enough that it slips. The bolts are not stripped at all, they have never been out, original plugs yet.
Defective socket? Pretty sure it is a 10mm bolt.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
An old craftsman set,, maybe 10mm changed since these were made...
Shouldn't.......that's when craftsman made good stuff.......

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2011 uses 10mm to remove coil packs.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
maybe the bolts have grown a bit? rust on the socket? a little lube sometimes makes things slide easier...maybe try that?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NO, tell me it ain't so. This is the 1st plug change on a 2012 boat??? Did you get a tool kit with the boat? There is a long deep spark plug socket that came with mine that works fine. Are you using a deep enough socket?

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think he is talking about the plugs themselves, they are clearly not 10mm, I believe they are 5/8. I think he is talking about taking off the coilpacks to get to the plugs.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I don't think he is talking about the plugs themselves, they are clearly not 10mm, I believe they are 5/8. I think he is talking about taking off the coilpacks to get to the plugs.
Yes, to get the coil packs off so I can get to the plugs.. IF it ever quits raining around here and warms up a bit I will go try it again...

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
NO, tell me it ain't so. This is the 1st plug change on a 2012 boat??? Did you get a tool kit with the boat? There is a long deep spark plug socket that came with mine that works fine. Are you using a deep enough socket?
Yes, first plug change.. I seen no need for it, it has ran perfect, still get over 50mph out of it.