• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2012 SX210 won't go over 38

Steve Levine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi
I have a 2012 SX210 with 1052cc engines. It was doing about 38mph at 8200 rpms. I changed to Solas 14-20 props and now it does the same speed at about 8600 RPMs. I changed the clean out traps thinking maybe they were sucking air but no difference. Prior owner had bottom painted the boat but I can't see that making much of a difference. Does anyone know what the pitch of the stock props is? Should I go up in Pitch? It seems like 8600 RPMs is a bit high. Other than top end the boat is running great. PS - I use both speedometer and GPS - both say same speed

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have an ‘11 SX210 and am also getting 38 at about 8200 (WOT).

My water temp here is a little over 85, currently. I’m wondering if that isn’t related. I’ve read that cooler water is better for performance.

I’ve also picked up new spark plugs (on a recommendation), but I haven’t changed them yet. It just seems to run so well... I keep thinking if it was spark plugs, it would sound funny. But, maybe not. I’m definitely not a mechanic type. Lol

Steve Levine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an ‘11 SX210 and am also getting 38 at about 8200 (WOT).

My water temp here is a little over 85, currently. I’m wondering if that isn’t related. I’ve read that cooler water is better for performance.

I’ve also picked up new spark plugs (on a recommendation), but I haven’t changed them yet. It just seems to run so well... I keep thinking if it was spark plugs, it would sound funny. But, maybe not. I’m definitely not a mechanic type. Lol
I agree. If the plugs were bad the engine would be running slower, not faster. Our water temperature is in the 70's - I don't think that is a factor either.

MattyTee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an ‘11 SX210 and 38 is about all I get out of her with a couple people in mostly calm water. What were you expecting to get?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have an ‘11 SX210 and 38 is about all I get out of her with a couple people in mostly calm water. What were you expecting to get?
Not real sure. Boattest says top end is 43, maybe 38 is close enough.

I guess I’m just watching it more now after I experienced some overloading at a family reunion and had top speed of 15. Was a little embarrassed, having tons more seating available but just no more juice.

I’ve just been trying to figure out if everything’s normal or not.

Steve Levine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the boat used

Top speed reached in the gauge says 48

I believe it should be at least well into the 40s

Like I said it is turning 8600 rpms - wondering if it needs higher pitch or something is not right with the pumps

MattyTee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think there are prob variations in manufacturing that would likely lead to a few MPH difference between boats. Also consider load, water conditions, wind. I noticed it's a alot quicker without the bimini up (naturally). I'm not concerned about 38 honestly. The other day I couldn't get past 35 with all the people and water conditions. Yesterday I could hit 40 easily. Bottom line is I think you are in the range, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to hunt down a couple more MPH.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 15 was doing 43 mph (GPS per ridesteady ) with 2 in the boat and a half tank of fuel with the bikini down. 40 with the top up when we came in earlier.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2008 AR210 will do 43 on GPS with a half tank of fuel and 2 people. RPM is right about 8300 (looking at the gauge only, have not put the TinyTach on it.) Air temp was 90+ and water temp 80+. I don't know for certain on the temps--that was a couple of months ago, but par for that time of the year.

I didn't measure the pitch of the stock impellers when I had them out earlier this year, but the stock props seem pretty dialed in for a hole shot and top speed. My guess is 14/20 given the VX110 skis are 14/22.

Keep in mind the Solas props might not come pitched correctly. If you buy from Impros they check the pitch of all props before shipping.

Call Dave @ Impros and ask. He'll know the correct pitch.

-Greg

Last edited: