• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 242 Limited S Check Engine Alarm

sma1024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First of all let me say that this boat is awesome! Purchased it used about 6 months ago and we are having a blast!

Last time out on our way back to the ramp, the port side gauge gave me a "Check Engine" Alarm. Engines were running fine, so I just muted the alarm and made it back to the ramp. Now, the alarm sounds every time the port engine is started. The diagnostics on the gauge are giving me no hint at the problem. I purchased the Yamaha Diagnostics YDIS 1.33 connector and software, but it is giving me an error "System file not found SE1020.dbf" when I connect up to either the port and SB connectors. I called the dealership and they want $120 to read the code, which is fine, but I prefer to troubleshoot things myself. The battery voltages seem fine and there is nothing in the jet that is causing blockage. Not sure about the water intakes. I have googled and searched the forum and have not found a solution.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Anyone have a check engine code reader in the Central Florida area that works?

Thank you in advance!

Skip

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think having the dealer read the code is a good idea probably will make your troubleshooting a lot easier

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you tried turning off the batteries for a few minutes to clear the code? You might just be muting the error every time versus actually clearing the error.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any other hints? Nothing is running rough? Do you still get it if you rev that engine? Do you get the error running on hose, too? No clicking or pings?

Not much to go on here, so I would go through the checklist:
1) Water coming out of the pee holes (both)?
2) Oil at proper level?
3) Air filter is not too dirty or blocked or wet with oil?
4) Plugs all ok?

Edited to add:
Oh, and your error on the diag system indicates that the software cannot find a file. Did you install the database? Push F1 to Update Database when you start the software...

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you tried reinstalling the software?

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've had the 'check engine' alarm happen a few times on my '13 242. The first time I had it in the slip and was getting that error, so I turned off the batteries, hooked them up to the charger, came back the next day and it was fine. The 2nd time I had just put it in the water, tried to start it without the lanyard hooked up, hooked up the lanyard and then started getting the error. The error continued for 2.5 hours and finally went away when I docked it - the error shut off when I goosed the reverse a bit to spin towards the dock. The last time it happened while at the service shop and they were going to try to troubleshoot it, but I was getting having some work done on my stereo. Once the stereo was worked on, I made sure the batteries were fully charged and then there was no error. All 3 times the boat performed well - no issues even when the error was going off.

I would recommend disconnecting your batteries, fully charging them, and then reconnect. Good luck.

sma1024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you for all the suggestions. The alarm is still occurring even after I have done the following:

1. Disconnected the batteries and changed them both (over about 4 hours).
2. Checked the air filter, it was nice and clean.
3. Checked the jets and water inlet strainer, all look good.
4. Ran the engine for a few minutes, ran like a champ with water out the pee hole.
5. Always check the engine oil prior to starting, so it is good.
6. Checked all the electrical connections on that motor to make sure nothing has come loose.

I have not checked the plugs yet, but will tomorrow if I get time.

As far as the software is concerned, the eBay member I purchased it from has told me that the Yamaha Diagnostics YDIS 1.33 is not compatible with my 2013 242, so I am bummed about that. I looked everywhere for the file SE1020.dbf (on the CD, my install directory, google) with no luck. I'm not happy with Yamaha about keeping me from diagnosing my own check engine problems!

Again, I appreciate the suggestions and will keep you posted.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just double check, that may be a comm port issue regarding the software. See what comm port your on and change to comm port two. It isn't designed to run on 240 series boats, but it may. And I would second disconnecting the batteries and rebooting as well.

sma1024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Spark plugs look good. Yamaha Diag connector was on COMM1, tried it on COMM2 with no luck. Disconnected batteries for a bit, connected them up and turned the port side key. Alarm comes up as soon as I turn the key and the RPM gauge returns back to zero. This has to be a sensor problem. I will be digging into it a bit more next weekend. There are not that many sensors on the boat that could be causing a Check Engine. The fun continues ...

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Had something similar on my boat just after I got it - alarm just on one side. Ran fine though. It had just been serviced and inspected and they didn't hook one of the sensor leads back up. Dealer fixed it in 30seconds, no charge. Hope that's your issue...

sma1024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I punted and brought my boat into the dealer. Turns out it was an O2 sensor that needed to be replaced. $466 in parts and labor. Time to get back out onto the water!!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ouch... glad you got it fixed though.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let's all agree to do @sma1024 a favor and please no one look up how much the part costs.

Reminds me of a story. Guy retired from the newspaper after 45 years. Worked on the big print machines. Was a master. Knew everything. As it would happen, he is gone from work and enjoying retirement for all of a week before the big master printer konks out. No one knows what is wrong. No one knows what to do. So they call him up. "I'm retired. Leave me alone." They beg and plead. Tell him that he can charge them anything as an independent consultant, just come and look at it. Tell him he doesn't even have to fix it--just tell them where to start and then he can go.

Finally he breaks down and goes on in. He walks in with a piece of chalk. Walks up to the mammoth machine, looks for a second, and marks an X on the side of the machine. He says, "There it is. There is your problem. Right in there." A cry of celebration goes up. Shaking of hands; pats on back, etc. He heads home and they tear into the machine right at that panel. Wouldn't you know it, there was a paper jam right there. They cleared it out, printed the paper, and saved the day.

A week later, the bosses get a bill from him for $10,000. They are a little shocked. They call him up to complain. He says, "You said I could charge whatever I wanted." They say yes, but you were only here like 5 minutes. That is a little bit, um... But they remember they did say anything. So they ask him to at least itemize it so that they can justify it to the executives. He reluctantly agrees. Three days later, a new bill arrives:

One X: $0.05
Knowing where to put it: $9,999.95

Glad you are boating again, @sma1024!

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

sma1024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just got mine back. Will check it on the lake this week to ensure the alarm has cleared.

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yep, that fixed the issue. Shitty part is, my other engine now has an alarm. Probably a new O2 sensor ...
Boo. Must have had a bad batch.
Have you had any luck obtaining the new software for our boats?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
how many hrs? curious when I might need to be on the look out for them

Flenz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Reading through this post is really useful. I have the same issue with the check engine alarm on the port engine. Bought a CanDoo Pro and had a 231 code (ignition). Replaced the plugs, cleared the code but the check engine alarm keeps going off. No new codes thrown. Is there something else I need to do to turn the alarm off?