• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 Yamaha 242 Limited Gauge Question

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hey All,
Picked up a used 2013 242 Limited. All Gauges seem to only power up after the engines are started. They stay on when running, then turn off maybe 15 seconds after shutting down. The thing is this seems like they are wired wrong to me. It would seem more logical to me to allow the gauges to come up by simply turning the key to on without having the start an engine. Or power via an aux switch. I don't want to have to start an engine just to get a gauge to show fuel level or depth on the multifunction readout for each tach.

So questions are - are these just wired wrong or did it come from the factory this way? Either way, anyone ever set this up with power for the gauges to allow them to come on either by just the key on position or an aux switch off the house battery?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I could be wrong, and I may go check in a few minutes to be sure that our 242 is the same way. In face, when I was running through settings when we first bought it, I was frustrate that I had to crank the engine (not to start) but just turn it over slightly to get the gauges to cycle.

Once I stared pressing buttons, it would stay up as long as I needed. After having a few years on the boat, it's not really been an issue, as I have yet needed to look at the gauges while off. Other than fuel. I have depth, water temp and time on my Simrad. Those would be the only thing I would want to see anyway.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2011 but it is exactly the same. Annoying i would agree. But as biffdotorg shared you don't need to start the engines just turn the key to crank and that is enough to turn the gauges on.