• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 Yamaha SX192, Boat has a new battery

captrhon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2013 Yamaha sx192

brand new battery but the engine will not crank. you can tell there is power as bildge, lights and everything works. the engine cranks for 1 second then nothing. All safety devices have been checked several times

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ground strap?
Starter wires loose?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@captrhon Start by running the checklist of lanyard, cleanout plug lid not closed/ loose switches, throttle lever off the neutral position - the usual culprits.

--

captrhon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I have checked them all. even placed a nickel on the clean out hatch to see if it was not engaging enough

captrhon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have tried to look at the starter wires but I can seem to see anything. I just had the boat serviced at the dealer about 6 weeks ago. drove it home placed it on the lift and tried to start it Saturday. I took the cover off each week to check for water and run the bilge pump. I live on the east coast of Florida so it had some water in in it but I had the drain plugs out as well. so could not have had too much water in it.

captrhon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where is the ground strap

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Look for the negative battery cable and see if loose on engine block.
Try to wiggle wires on starter and see if loose. Basically turn off battery and wiggle everything you can think of to see if something has a poor connection.

captrhon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok Thank You, I spoke to the dealer and he had stated either a ground issue or my impeller was seized. I would think the engine would still run in neutral of the impellar was seized.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok Thank You, I spoke to the dealer and he had stated either a ground issue or my impeller was seized. I would think the engine would still run in neutral of the impellar was seized.
Our boats are direct drive. The impeller is always spinning.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You can easily pull the pump and find out.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you shine a light inside the jet pump - from the back through the open steering nozzle - you might be able to see if anything is stuck between the impeller blades and the wear ring. It could be something REALLY small, like a piece of wood/stick.
Taking the pump off - it is only the back gate/steering cable attachments and then the four bolts -- to pull the whole venturi nozzle off w/the back bucket. Then you just wiggle the impeller/shaft/impeller duct segment out, it all comes out as one piece.

--

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If dealer serviced it 6wks ago and you haven't ran it since I can't imagine how anything would be in your impellars now. Did the dealer run the engine before, during or after servicing? It sounds like a ground wire or verify correct connections to your batteries.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bad starter is my guess. I replaced a solinoid and both ground and 12v positive cables before swapping out the starter. It was my last guess due to the fact it was the season before. Please keep us update. Best wishes

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bad starter is my guess. I replaced a solinoid and both ground and 12v positive cables before swapping out the starter. It was my last guess due to the fact it was the season before. Please keep us update. Best wishes
How difficult was it, swapping out the starter?
I also recall now that @1948Isaac had a starter coming loose in his 2015/16 AR240, different boat but same engine. That happened while in Bimini and I'm pretty sure there were no new parts, but he fixed it.

--

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure where you boat @caprhon but if the other suggestions don't pan out it's possible your pump liner has swollen stopping the impeller from turning. You could pull your spark plugs to see if the impeller spins freely.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is not difficult on a single engine. It is under the exhaust manifold . try tapping starter body with a brass hammer while someone turns the key. if it turns over you can replace it with a replacement part. Ebay.

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How difficult was it, swapping out the starter?
I also recall now that @1948Isaac had a starter coming loose in his 2015/16 AR240, different boat but same engine. That happened while in Bimini and I'm pretty sure there were no new parts, but he fixed it.

--
It was an easy fix , but a pain in the ass to find out my starter came out when i was on the water in bimini, good thing i always carry tools to be able to put it back with out any problems