• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014-2015 Yamaha SVHO motor issue (severe)

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You still need to flush a Sea-Doo/closed loop system --- just want to clarify that for future readers. The heat exchanger still needs to have the salt water flushed or the jackets can become clogged or corrode through and you end up with water in your oil. Yes, better here than in your engine block, but still a costly mistake.
Well, I was assuming he already knew that PWC and jet boats need flushing. You are not rinsing a "heat exchanger" on a Rotax. You are rinsing out the exhaust manifold to the water box or muffler. The heat exchanger, as some people may call it, is actually the sealed ride plate under the jet pump (on single engine models), that is filled with coolant, and or the plates mounted on either side of the hull alongside the jet pumps (twin engine), to cool the motor after the thermostat housing on the PTO cover opens up, and then it repeats the cycle.

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Ok. So I took my new fx SHO out for the 1st time today. Engine ran just fine. BuT, when im at idle speed and i go for a hole shot the prop cavitates and shakes the boat until it hooks up after 2 or 3 seconds of cavitation. Normal???
The prop is in good shape and no large gaps betweem the prop and jet housing....
Thoughts? ??

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ok. So I took my new fx SHO out for the 1st time today. Engine ran just fine. BuT, when im at idle speed and i go for a hole shot the prop cavitates and shakes the boat until it hooks up after 2 or 3 seconds of cavitation. Normal???
The prop is in good shape and no large gaps betweem the prop and jet housing....
Thoughts? ??
Bad impeller? Not normal. Define new FXSHO, what exact year?

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
2011 FX sho

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Correction 2014 FX sho

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Correction 2014 FX sho
Well, if you don't have anything in the pump, and your impeller isn't damaged in any way, you might just need a pump stuffer kit. That kit reduces cavitation through the pump support and ride plate by filling in all of the open spaces between the two. I would probably add that kit and change out the impeller since you'll be in there.

AmyB2476

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
Gents,

As you guys know me, I am one person that digs deep into the internet and manuals to find out issues, and flaws in just about everything I have. I have been doing some research on the new SVHO engine that I love in my waverunner, and found a major flaw that Yamaha will not admit to, but knows about.

The timing chain on these engines is a ticking timebomb. Its not if it goes, its when. Some people have had them tear apart within 30 hours, and some after about 70 hours. Its just a matter of time.

Yamaha will warranty the repair, and replace the head and short block with the new 2016 redesign. The whole SVHO engine changed part numbers after this redesign. But, to avoid lawsuits, Yamaha will not admit the issue.

The good news if there is any about this issue is the SVHO 1.8ltr engine is non interference, and the valves will not smack the pistons. When this happens, it will not be a catastrophic failure. The engine will shut off, and will not start, but will crank. The way to diagnose the issue is opening the oil fill, crank the engine and look for valve movement. If none, then welcome to the broken chain club.

Until there is a recall on this from Yamaha, do not purchase a 2014-15 SVHO waverunner. This engine is currently used in the FX series, and the outgoing FZ series.

The new 2016 models have the new updated engine, and so far have been working flawlessly. Shame on Yamaha for opening a page off of Sea Doss' book. I expected more from a reputable company.

Now the wait begins on when my ski will leave me stranded in the water. Sigh.....[/QUOTE
Gents,

As you guys know me, I am one person that digs deep into the internet and manuals to find out issues, and flaws in just about everything I have. I have been doing some research on the new SVHO engine that I love in my waverunner, and found a major flaw that Yamaha will not admit to, but knows about.

The timing chain on these engines is a ticking timebomb. Its not if it goes, its when. Some people have had them tear apart within 30 hours, and some after about 70 hours. Its just a matter of time.

Yamaha will warranty the repair, and replace the head and short block with the new 2016 redesign. The whole SVHO engine changed part numbers after this redesign. But, to avoid lawsuits, Yamaha will not admit the issue.

The good news if there is any about this issue is the SVHO 1.8ltr engine is non interference, and the valves will not smack the pistons. When this happens, it will not be a catastrophic failure. The engine will shut off, and will not start, but will crank. The way to diagnose the issue is opening the oil fill, crank the engine and look for valve movement. If none, then welcome to the broken chain club.

Until there is a recall on this from Yamaha, do not purchase a 2014-15 SVHO waverunner. This engine is currently used in the FX series, and the outgoing FZ series.

The new 2016 models have the new updated engine, and so far have been working flawlessly. Shame on Yamaha for opening a page off of Sea Doss' book. I expected more from a reputable company.

Now the wait begins on when my ski will leave me stranded in the water. Sigh.....

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yamadog
Seadon't
Kawasloppy.

That is all.

rickpconn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Other
How do you secure your front one @ScarabMike ? I use the tow hook on the rear, but haven't found something I like for the front yet. I saw @robert843 using a bungee for his, which seemed to work awesome, but I'm looking at all options.
Buy suction mount on Amazon works great for me