• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 242 LS boats, and Ramp n Clamp problem.....

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
well, guess Ill put up some photos of a repair.... I GOUGED the shit out of my gelcoat this weekend. Ramp and Clamp flipped straight down, got my bow horribly.

I want to state up front, I am not slamming Ramp n Clamp in the slightest. I think its more of an issue with bow shape and trailer than Ramp n Clamp design. I am posting this so others with the same bow boat don't learn the hard way!

2014 242 LS boats have a "step" on the bow that I thought might be an issue because the top of the Ramp n Clamp sat a bit odd when the bow eye was engaged. When I installed and tested, the trailer was sitting almost level because the lake level was so high and it worked fine. I make 4 or 5 load and unloads because I was concerned, went fine. This weekend on a normal ramp, with more trailer angle, I eased up, felt boat touch on ramp n clamp, barely hit the throttles, and heard/felt something that definitely didn't sound right! went up front, clamp was straight down, and upper arm got the boat big time!

Last edited:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
well, guess Ill put up some photos of a repair.... I GOUGED the shit out of my gelcoat this weekend. Ramp and Clamp flipped straight down, got my bow horribly.

I want to state up front, I am not slamming Ramp n Clamp in the slightest. I think its more of an issue with bow shape and trailer than Ramp n Clamp design. I am posting this so others with the same bow boat don't learn the hard way!

2014 242 LS boats have a "step" on the bow that I thought might be an issue because the top of the Ramp n Clamp sat a bit odd when the bow eye was engaged. When I installed and tested, the trailer was sitting almost level because the lake level was so high and it worked fine. I make 4 or 5 load and unloads because I was concerned, went fine. This weekend on a normal ramp, with more trailer angle, I eased up, felt boat touch on ramp n clamp, barely hit the throttles, and heard/felt something that definitely didn't sound right! went up front, clamp was straight down, and upper arm got the boat big time!

Ill post pics in a bit.
When I had my SX230, I had a similar experience with the boat buddy and decided to go back to the Stolz.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
:vomit::vomit::vomit: That just makes me sick looking at it. Good luck on your repair!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This was a double post:

I will also add that it actually doesn't look that bad of a repair, should be an easy fix for a good gelcoat person.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I added this in your other thread...but I second the good old Stolz Ultimate Bow Roller as the best solution, provided you get the boat snug the first time. And sorry about the scuff, it will heal with a little help!

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So... this is very scary... I just got in my ramp n clamp.. plan on installing it in 2 weeks at the lakehouse... ummmm... so now what.. make some pins so it cant turn down?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Chris K , if you read reviews on this device as well as the Boat Buddy devices, you will find that there are a good number of less than stellar reviews. Knowing your boat and equipment is paramount, as well as its limitations. Things change from ramp to ramp and with different loading, so issues can come up. It always bothers me when someone either here or on a review posts results and is adamat about them...because we don't all use the same ramp, same loading, same tow vehicles. You name it, we all boat differently and each of our expectations are different. I bought the Boat Buddy and returned it after one use. Maybe it was me, but I don't want my boat moving around and it required the same steps of me to secure the boat using it or using the Boat Buddy. I have no experience with the Ramp and Clamp, but it is the same principle. If you use it, do so with trial and error inspection and learn what difficulties you may have and what precautions you need to take. What I don't like about them is that while it may latch onto my bow eye, that little pin IMO, is not to be trusted to hold the boat, you still have to attach the winch hook and tighten, as well as the safety strap...even to pull the boat out of the water. If you just use to to latch onto you, then exit the boat or have someone else, hook the strap hook and safety cable, your good to go. But I can do all of that myself right from inside the boat just leaning over after I load onto the trailer. Granted, I have to leave the power up to keep the bow eye snug against the bow roller, but my bet is that you have to do that regardless unless you load deeper or buy a bigger winch. So bottom line, it is up to you, but if it doesn't save you any time or effort, I don't see it saving you anything, but that is up to you to decide. Be safe and have fun!!!

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Definitely.. Its nothing to trust 100% or trust in any way as the only holder of the boat. I wanted it so I dont have to keep power on the motors washing out my ramp at the lakehouse while i run up and hook up the winch. figured it would be nice to have this hook up to hold it.. i can cut the throttle, while leaving it in forward so thrust is not rushing down on the aging ramp , run up and tighten up the winch line... then have wifey pull us out, then blow out the water... but i will have to do some extra test recoverys ....

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had to remove mine as well. I went to a valet service this year and they nearly did the same thing, missed by millimeters. Different ramps, different incline, different depth in water.... Was scary to say the least. They WILL NOT power load at the valet service and load by hand so the ramp and clamp was coming off anyhow, thank GOD it didn't gouge.

I'll put it back on if I don't use valet, but you can't have the boat super deep in the water for sure.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My ramp an clamp has worked twice out of about 8 retrievals. It seems very finnecky on trailer depth and I've never even thought about trailer depth in 7 years as I just have it down pat for different ramps....now I'm second guessing every time. The first time I got it to work I can to come in hot. It is also rubbing marks on the boat and the center part of urethane is no longer smooth. It wipes off the boat but kind a pain. I was going to take pictures with the boat off and send to ramp n clamp to see if it was normal, but I think it's just not slick enough to let the boat slide up. I did wax both boat and ramp n clamp.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I want to state very clearly, I am not condemning Ramp N Clamp!

I do think, just like anything else, if you do it right, it will work right, ie. Shallow trailer depth loading so the bunks force the boat to be centered, then back trailer with light thrust from boat so it mates up. As far as the pin size, I have to work in a field with a lot of sheer force being calculated, it doesn't concern me too much because the rating on the Clamp is FAR in excess what it will have to cope with just holding the boat on the trailer pulling out.... you only need to hold a few hundred pounds of force unless you try to drag race up the ramp lol.

That being said, there is a VERY clear, and VERY real issue with the exact bow shape on 242 boats! Look at my pics, everything is lined up perfectly, but part of the Ramp N Clamp is on the bow "shelf" and part on the dead rise. There is NO way this is correct or as intended. I blame myself to be brutally honest. I saw this. I fully ignored it. I knew in the back of my mind there could be a problem. I paid the price. its that simple.

I haven't contacted Ramp N Clamp demanding anything, and I wont. I DO think its a DAMN good product when used properly and with a proper fit on the bow. Hell, after it gouged my boat, I pulled it back up into position, used the winch, is snapped on the bow eye perfectly and solidly. I did have to hold it at the proper angle because the bow shelf hit it again and knocked it down. No it wasn't loose and flopping, no it wasn't stiff as hell, took some effort to hold it. Its a shape of bow vs design of Ramp N Clamp issue.

Just got home from Odessa tx, Gel coat repair is here. Pics tomorrow on repairing if its not raining! :D hey, that's the good part, I claimed it wasn't as hard as people think in another thread to repair gel coat, now I get to put my money where my mouth is! So something good from it!

p.s. Stolz Ultimate Bow Roller gets here monday

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have use a boat buddy II for years. It is similar to but older than the ramp n clamp. The gouging is a risk with either device. To address it ony boat without removing the boat buddy I got and installed a jumbo sized scuff plate/guard. The devices should work as advertised but the fine print is that you need to use them as designed. That is, your device needs to be at the right height and oriented properly to work as designed. So I hate to say it but the devices are not the problem it's how we are using them.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My device IS aligned as properly as the design allows it to be. And I don't slam up onto my trailer either. The issue in my case is the bow shape isn't linear on 13-14 242 LS boats. Note the pictures. If that's what you mean, ok, wrong boat shape, wont work, fine I'll agree. If you mean I just didn't install it right and/or didn't trailer right, then I disagree strongly.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you pulled the trailer farther up or dropped it farther down the ramp would it have changed the outcome?

If so, I think you installed it correctly just didn't use it correctly. Nothing personal but there are a lot of happy ramp and clamp owners and some are 242 owners so incompatible hull design probably isn't the problem.

Again nothing personal, I've jacked up the recovery with the boat buddy several times and still have the battle scars to prove it but it was never the boat buddy's or boat's fault. There are reasons I have a large scuff shield and don't screw up the recovery as much, lots of bad experiences and plenty more practice trying not to relive them.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
look at the pics. adjusted the clamp with boat about 4 inches back, out of the water to set the height. again, look at the shelf on the bow line.

When the boat is coming in, the shelf hits the clamp, you would think if anything it would try to level it off, but it doesn't, the lower part of the clamp touches the boat first, pushing the clamp down, then the shelf touches and bonk, down it goes, clamp is vertical.

defend it all you want, I know what happened, I know the contact area and have the pics to prove it. Also look closely at the pics... see the smaller bolts (vertical) with lock nuts on them hanging down? Yeah, when the boat backed up it pulled them thru the poly.

I don't blame Ramp N Clamp. I stated that clearly and repeatedly. It is an issue with bow shape. Show me one 242 owner that has a Ramp N Clamp and no issues. until then, I'll hold my oppinion

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I've been around a little while and had a few of these jet boat thingy's, but the same has happened to me as well. I used the boat buddy faithfully, albeit a few of them - bent a few pins - on my former 07SX230 and loved it! I got my RnC for Christmas and just installed it prior to Memorial Day weekend. I went out three times with the RnC installed and here's what happened to my bow. This is from three separate occasions, the upload on the first time was a absolutely flawless!! Second and third time I missed on the the first attempt each time but caught on the second try. I emailed with Joe at RnC and he seems to think its catching my bow protector plate while offloading. He immediately offered a refund but I'm not that way, I want this to work so sometime this week I'll remove the plate and have another go at it. What the hell, it's only a boat right?

IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3173.JPG IMG_3174.JPG IMG_3175.JPG IMG_3176.JPG IMG_3179.JPG

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All this talk.... Really makes me think it might not be worth installing the one sitting in my garage. I was planning on putting it in this weekend....

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All this talk.... Really makes me think it might not be worth installing the one sitting in my garage. I was planning on putting it in this weekend....
eBay!!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many have had great success, I just wish I was one of them. We shall see what happens when I remove the bow plate.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just have my valet service. I motor up to the bow stop and turn it off, guy driving the tractor attaches the winch and turns it. He pulls us out.

Seems much simpler than these new-fangled gadgets...

Oh, don't worry. I have still managed to miss something and scratch up the gel coat on the front, tho. :)