• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 AR240 engine stalls immediately after starting

MASF4i

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone, my family and I just arrived to the lake for a long weekend and my starboard side engine will start but immediately shut off every time. It probably runs for half a second. It has brand new spark plugs in it as well. The other engine runs fine. I'm trying to search everywhere I can but we are kind of in the middle of nowhere and have spotty internet connection. I had to drive down the road just to be able to post this but I will do everything I can to keep an eye on this thread and respond as needed. Is there anything you guys can think of that I could try? I really appreciate any advice you all have for me. Thank you!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
possibly a bad kill switch at the helm or rear hatch switch

MASF4i

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. I tried the trick with taping a coin above the rear hatch kill switch with no luck. The few times it will idle it didn't sound like it's running quite right. It seems like it might be doing a small stumble now and again. This leads me to believe it might be more of an engine issue than a kill switch problem. I might just replace both kill switches anyways just to rule it out. Looks like this trip might just be a wash if that's the case.

Again, thanks for the reply

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
well remember 2014 had bad chains but I had one that went and it just flat shut off and cranked really fast due to no compression. your profile shows 2011 I assume you have a newer boat now, if it is a lanyard switch try propping it up higher adding something to the wedge I have seen that happen in the past

MASF4i

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you sir, I'll give that a try. And you are correct, we sold the 2011 about 5 years ago and recently bought this 2014

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok it could be a fuel issue also or bad ground to that engine check the ground cable ends , , when it stalls does it start back up and then repeat the process

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If have spare spark plugs i would change them just to see, easy to do anyways. My engines were taking awhile to start and after I changed them the engines fired up quick. I changed them at the beginning of the season too, so I’m on a second set of new plugs this season. When you said it would idle and not seem to run right it makes me think battery, fuel, air, and/or spark.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
also could be a bad connection at the ignition switch sounds electrical to me

MASF4i

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The spark plugs are brand new last weekend. I was thinking the same thing as you guys and changed them last weekend. Running it on the hose at my house all seemed good. When I got back to the lake I found it was still don't the same thing. Yes when it stalls it will immediately start back up and stall right away again. Ever once in a while it will idle and even get the boat on plane. Then it might die right away every time I start it for 20 times or more. I agree with thinking it's likely electrical.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok fuel or electrical did you wash down the engines with a hose recently

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Air filter? Make sure you dont have any obstruction and good flow. Take the whole filter out and try.. make sure the hosing/duct going to engine isn’t bent or damaged.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
actually that reminds me, check your oil level and smell it for a fuel smell if it shows high on the stick a stuck injector can bring up your oil level and cause the excess to be blown out into the air cleaner element and choke the engine

MASF4i

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For a little bit more info, I was just messing with it checking things out and it ended up running so I took it out of the dock. It ran great for about 5 minutes up to top speed and everything. Now it's back to it's old tricks already. This does make me think it's likely something electrical as I think that's the most likely thing to cause intermittent issues. I will however check out everything that you guys have mentioned just in case. Thanks so much for the help!

Sx240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure as I’m new to boating but I believe somewhere I seen check your impeller something may be wrapped up
Around it causing motor to stall good luck

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok good news try to wiggle all the electrical connectors

MASF4i

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all, thanks again for all of the responses. I ended up taking the boat to my Yamaha dealer and found out it needed the ecu replaced. I should get it back within the next few hours. I figured I would update the post Incase someone comes across it later with the same problem. Have a good weekend

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@MASF4i great! Glad it was a quick fix and an "easy" find from the dealer. Sometimes trouble shooting boats can be mentally taxing. Just curious, how much are ECU's going for these days?

MASF4i

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The ECU was $1,300. According to them I got the last one in the country. If I didn't get that one we were going to have to wait for one from Japan via containership. I'm very happy with how fast the dealership was. I got it there Monday afternoon and by Tuesday they had diagnosed and got the part on order for me. Then as you probably saw I was able to pick it up on Friday and head back to the water. The boat ran great this weekend

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Dang!!!! $1300! I would normally say your dealer was exaggerating bout it being the last one in the country lol, but I think he probably wasn't too far off in this Covid world and I would have bought it too.

Glad it all worked out!

Enjoy and cheers!