• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2015 242 Limited S -- heavily used rental boat -- parts to keep on the shelf?

Laminar Flow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi guys:

I have a 2015 242 Limited S that I bought as a 2nd owner a year ago -- a doctor down in South Carolina owned it for the first four years and I got it at just 30 hours of usage. It was in pretty good to great shape.

I live up here in Washington, DC and have been putting the boat on Boatsetter, which is a peer-to-peer boat sharing platform that works just like airbnb. They provide the marketing, billing and insurance and I provide the boat, day-of customer service, and maintenance.

Due to COVID and people wanting to get out of the house and onto the water -- demand has been off the charts -- the number of rentals in 2020 has been about 4-5x higher than the last half of last season that I had the boat on the platform. On a Saturday, it's not unusual to have three bookings that have the boat out from 10:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

So what I'm getting at is -- keeping the boat maintained/healthy/available for rentals is super important and an area of intense focus for me.

The boat's now just over 300 hours in my year of ownership across 89 rentals -- only major issues have been that the majority of the touchscreen functionality of the Connext has conked out (just the top buttons on the screen along the top still happen to work but can't touch anywhere else -- gotta use the joystick for everything) and I had to replace the oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter (it's a CA emissions boat).

I have rebuilt the upper half of the plugs this year as they were tight as hell previously, and added locking clips for the plugs as well.

But in general it's been a great boat -- only issue more generally is that the Potomac is so filled with garbage etc that renters are always sucking stuff up -- all things considered I probably would not have purchased the boat knowing what I know now but that's life.

That oxygen sensor experience was pretty instructive for me -- I called probably 20 places to find the last sensor available in the country at the time and just barely got it in there to make that check engine light go away.

So this brings me to my question:

If you had about $1,000 to spend solely to stock the most critical replacement parts to have sitting on the shelf, what would you buy? Unlike a traditional boat (I have a couple of those, too) there just doesn't seem to be that many things to replace on this thing...

I think I'm going to get a set of replacement impellers but beyond that, if "uptime" was the name of the game, what are the most critical items you'd want to have an extra of?

Maintenance items (plugs, oil and air filters, oil), maybe an ignition coil or two, spare clean out plug and rebuild kits, impellers as you mentioned, bucket and steering cables. I think that’s most of the common failure points on those boats.

anyone else? spend my money!!

Spare keys and emergency kill lanyard. A couple of those T handle latches for the clean out hatch. Some spare chrome cup holder rings. (I’ve lost 2 now)

Spare keys and emergency kill lanyard. A couple of those T handle latches for the clean out hatch. Some spare chrome cup holder rings. (I’ve lost 2 now)

These are all super smart suggestions -- i'd be SOL if someone just randomly lost a key or the kill lanyard

Where do you buy the rings - I lost my first one this weekend?

Silicone caulk
Life vests
Air horn
Throwable
Flares
Anchor light
Bulbs and/or nav lights
(in addition to the stuff above, particularly @Dixie Highway and @BigAbe75 's suggestions)

OK so far I've purchased:

-- set of two NEW backup impellers ($357 shipped from PartsPak.com)
-- one replacement NEW full cleanout plug ($199 shipped from Leaders RPM). I just did the rebuild kit on both sides a couple months ago.
-- one backup kill lanyard ($13 shipped on amazon)
-- one aftermarket coil pack ($30 shipped on amazon)
-- one used thermosensor 61A-85790-00-00 ($31 shipped on eBay)
-- one used thermosensor 6DE-85790-00-00 ($42 shipped on eBay) (these appear to be different on the blowup charts of the parts on yamahasportsplaza.com...who knows if they are interchangeable though)
-- one used thermoswitch ($30 shipped on eBay)
-- one used oil pressure switch ($20 shipped on eBay)
-- one new oxygen sensor 6DE-8592A-00-00 [already had to replace one of these and there are four on this boat as it's CA emissions] ($175 new from adeptpowersports.com)

I already have sparkplugs and oil filters on hand.

That brings to $897 -- $100 left to hit the $1,000 mark folks -- what else would you get if uptime and fixing problems yourself without involving a mechanic or a dealer and time was of the essence....

You know... what about tow shut off valves in an easy to reach spot with laminated directions in the event a renter needs a tow. You wouldn’t want to rely on them to pinch the correct cooling hose.

Back