• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 ar190 engine comm and speed error

Skin6061

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I posted this in the model sub forum but thought I might get a faster response here.
I'm a new member and I recently bought a 2015 ar190. Took the battery off to recharge it and when I installed the battery I'm now getting no engine comm error and speed comm error. Both gauges mph and tach sweep back and forth. The only info I get on the tach gauge is fuel level and voltage level. No engine codes pop up in the diagnostic section either. Also pefomed a gauge calibration test. Searched all the posts here to diagnose the problem.didnwhat was recommended etc. Cleaned the terminals, had the battery check at AutoZone, reset the tach multiple times and even called a few dealers and still nothing to fix the issue. I know it has to be something I'm overlooking. Boat starts just fine, has throttle response and I can even activate wake mode. Before I drop the coin and take it to a local boat mechanic who is not a Yamaha mech since there isn't any in Ks. Is there anything else I can check before i give up and go to a dealer.

Double check the hook ups to the battery. Sounds like you have a wire switched (which is very common).

Anyone have the same year and model to provide a photo of the wires?

If I'm correct I have one positive wire(red) and 2 negative wires one black and one wire is smaller in a black loom with a blue strip on it. That's how it was hooked up when I got the boat .
Also took apart the instrument cluster, plulled the mud dobber nest off the wire harness that the cruise control attached too. Pulled all connections to the tach and mph gauge to check for corrosion. All looked good. Reinstalled and started the boat, mph gauge stopped sweeping and no longer have the speed error code but the engine comm error is still there.
Plan to trace the tach wiring harness and check for any breaks/corrosion or mud dobber nests and also check the fuses.

It is the small wire in the loom that usually gets put to the wrong place. My boat was rewired before delivery (and a different year, model), so I can't say what is right or wrong about it--I have just seen people talk about it on here.

The nest and reseating seems to have gotten you positive progress. I do know that the comm system is a bus-type system, where there need to be terminators on each end of the line in order for the system to work (if that is of any help). Maybe there are more nests back by the ECU's...

Im going to call a dealer in the morning, I may have the small corrugated line with the blue strip hooked up wrong. According to the service it's suppose to go to the positive terminal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200417-215751.png
    Screenshot_20200417-215751.png
    353.3 KB · Views: 25
Figured out the small corrugated wire with the blue line is the ground wire for the accessories. Still have to fix the engine comm error but I have someone local who's willing to help with the computer stuff. If the tach took a ghost I wonder if I could upgrade to the newer lcd screens.

Did you get anywhere with this? I have a 16 190 that is having a speed comm errors as well. Boat fires right up, Cleaned up the terminals and checked connections on the back of the dash. All seems good.

Thanks!

The speed comm error fixed itself when I finally got moving on the water. The tachnis still giving me a issue. I get all info but engine hours.

Hmmmm, I'm gonna try and simulate moving today then lol. Spin the paddle wheel, with the engine flushing and see if it clears up. Thanks for the reply.

I’ve got the same issue. Just purchased a 2015 ar190 and get the same speed comm error. I get engine hours but not water depth or temp plus the gauge just bounces around sometimes. Boat runs fine and I can learn to live with it but I would rather address it before it turns into a bigger issue. Batter looks new, all terminals loos perfect and I have it on a truckle charge. Can someone explain how to flush the motor and check it while on the trailer?

I was able to persuade Yamaha to replace the guage under warranty. But the new guage did not fix the problem. I'm assuming that if I had taken the boat to a dealer and had them hook it up to the computer maybe they could have got it to work but I didn't do that and ended up selling my boat.

Can someone explain how to flush the motor and check it while on the trailer?
I looked at the FAQ, but didn't find it! Wonder how we missed that one...

Connect the hose to the flush port on the engine you will flush (if doing Salt Away, set that up too). Do not turn on the water yet.
Start the engine.
Turn on the water.
Wait (hum the Jeopardy tune...) most folks say 5 min or so. If you are flushing with Salt Away, most will tell you to run that through the last minute or so.
Turn off the water.
Turn off the engine.

Back