• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2015 AR240 Rusty Seat Frame

Whickety

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hope this covers more years and models than my 2015 AR240. Boat has 135 hours, freshwater only, maintained meticulously.
Both helm seats have been spitting rust chips more and more lately.
Decided to take a look and removed the captain’s seat to the shop. Bad news….
Lower frame is flakey and has some rust holes in it. 2 of the wire supports that the vinyl hooks over are rust through and just hanging in mid air.
So I’ve carefully removed the lower bolster and side vinyl, and it’s all still in great condition.
I have a right to repair issue with this as I’m quite certain Yamaha will not be selling me a new metal frame only. ( Other posts on the issue saw users buck up for a new seat completely for, you know $1200 dollars.)

I have found the original manufacturer label on the frame.
Made by Attwood Mobile Products
Mfg ID 40851
So yamaha must still source these from someone…anyone know who, or what could be done to have Yamaha offer this up as a repair part?

Attachments

• IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2545.jpeg
    IMG_2545.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Yamaha won't, they source it as an assembled component. A person may be lucky to find a replacement seat in their color scheme, let alone parts. Attwod may even source those from a furniture mfg, as they are known for boat accessories. But they are more known for the post more than the seats.

Those springs are common in the furniture world. You may find yourself buying generic springs from a component wholesaler and cutting them to length and bending the final tab for install. Unless they are brittle to the point of breaking, you would be better off cleaning the rust off and putting a coat of rustoleum on them. You have them fully taken apart.

Yamaha won't, they source it as an assembled component. A person may be lucky to find a replacement seat in their color scheme, let alone parts. Attwod may even source those from a furniture mfg, as they are known for boat accessories. But they are more known for the post more than the seats.

Those springs are common in the furniture world. You may find yourself buying generic springs from a component wholesaler and cutting them to length and bending the final tab for install. Unless they are brittle to the point of breaking, you would be better off cleaning the rust off and putting a coat of rustoleum on them. You have them fully taken apart.
Thanks for the reply. It's disappointing to me that the frame can't be sourced from the manufacturer, moreover the quality of the materials used are not marine grade. It should have been powder coated, galvanized, stainless, or aluminum. Spring steel I get, but powder coating would prove to last longer.
There will be corrosion of some sort between dissimilar metals of course but this is unacceptable.
Anyhow, I hope that someone else can benefit by pulling the seat cover/padding off and treating it with rustoleum as you said. I'll be painting with POR15 this weekend to get me through the remaining season. The winter project will probably be to pull the seats before storage, strip the frames and take them to the media blaster/powder coater this winter. Some grinding and welding will need to be done as well.

Thanks for the reply. It's disappointing to me that the frame can't be sourced from the manufacturer,
Did you contact the MFG? Or at least Attwood? If you are still thinking Yamaha, they don't make components. And yes, they would sell you a seat. (it's just not cost effective)

This came up back in 2018 with someone posting how rusty they were in only one year. I coated mine in fluid film and its kept the rust to a minimum, just coated again this year. We boat in salt a salt water and I make sure to rinse my shorts good with fresh shower water then dry them before sitting in the seat or sit on the safety throw cushion. Please keep us posted on how to repair the seat that would be great info.

Back