• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Scarab 165 - won’t start

Nedwod

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Engine won’t start. Not sure if the engine is seized or starter is fried. How do determine which?
Thanks

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
You assume neither and check the other stuff first. Because both of those failing are way less common.

Does anything click at all when you turn the key? Do you have power? Are things connected correctly (battery)? Is the battery good? What is the voltage? Does it have the correct cranking amps? Is the master switch on? Is your emergency kill lanyard correctly installed? Is that emergency switch working? And finally, are your relays good (two of them, located inside the fuse box right beside the battery, those are very common problems for this issue).

Sorry, but I've been helping a lot of people here. I don't think I've seen anyone have a seized engine or failed starter since I've been doing it. It's usually the rest. It's very possible you've checked all of this, but such is the internet. We get people from all kinds of backgrounds, some with very little knowledge. What seems obvious to one isn't obvious to the other.

Report back with more info and hopefully we can guide you further.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Also, history of the boat probably matters since you haven it listed as 2015.

Nedwod

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
All of these issues/items check out OK. Radio/dash lights all work, battery good (new), master on, can hear the starter motor clicking, lanyard and relays are good. 17 hours on the engine.

Any other suggestions? Thanks Luc.

Judge

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Was the engine rebuilt / replaced with only 17 hours on it?

Clicking can sometimes mean a loose or bad ground. I would take a heavy duty battery cable and connect one end to the negative battery post and the other end to a solid part of the engine block to establish a good known ground and then try it again.

If that doesn't work, removing the starter and seeing it is will spin up outside the motor might be your best bet. If you can get at it, you could try taking a jumper cable from the post on the starter and then holding it to the positive post on the battery to to by-pass any solenoid / relay to see of the starter will spin. Just be careful of hitting the block in a tight space.

Last edited:

Nedwod

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thx. I'll give it a try. The engine is original - just sat for over 18 mths in a garage.