• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Vortex 223 VRX

Readyrb

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I am putting a deposit on a vrx with approx 60 hours, it’s been a salt water boat. I was wondering if I should look for certain problems? I am moving from a seadoo challenger 180 to the vrx. I loved the seadoo never had a problem just getting small for my family. I never had a boat that has been in salt water so it’s new to me just read some stories of the sensors going out and dealers not wanting to maintain them.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
:Welcome:to the forum!!!

I have a 2017 223VRX. I love it. I only boat in salt water and with fresh water flushes after every use, you'll be fine. Be aware that the supercharger will need to be rebuilt (or replaced with a maintenance free) at the 200 hour mark.

What engines are in there (150, 200 or 250hp)? Any pics?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Be sure to join this FB group for more suggestions on what to look for. Nice people there too. Good luck!!!

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I can't remember if the twin 200's has cats on it. Catalytic converters. If so there is a recall on the raw metal ones, but only if the problem presents it's self. The replacement cats are painted black. I do believe that water intrusion was the issue, and caused O2 sensor codes, and more from salt than fresh.
I posted somewhere in this forum the TSB.

(Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion(MPS) )

https://jetboaters.net/threads/recall-on-catalytic-converter.22379/

Last edited:

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
In regards to the service bulletin, has anyone confirmed if the issue is covered after 36 months? I saw a post somewhere that stated BRP extended coverage on the motors (cats and O2 sensors) to 10 years. I am the 2nd owner, with the boat/motors originally put into service in July 2015. I am working with a Scarab dealer out of OK (I live in Austin area) that confirms the bulletin but doesn't see anything that states the cats or sensors are covered beyond 36 months. Need some help! I have a CANDOO Pro and have recorded P0130 on my port motor, along with a check engine light and code 1130 on the engine cluster message. Thanks!

(Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion(MPS) )

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
In regards to the service bulletin, has anyone confirmed if the issue is covered after 36 months? I saw a post somewhere that stated BRP extended coverage on the motors (cats and O2 sensors) to 10 years. I am the 2nd owner, with the boat/motors originally put into service in July 2015. I am working with a Scarab dealer out of OK (I live in Austin area) that confirms the bulletin but doesn't see anything that states the cats or sensors are covered beyond 36 months. Need some help! I have a CANDOO Pro and have recorded P0130 on my port motor, along with a check engine light and code 1130 on the engine cluster message. Thanks!

New BRP Marine Division Customer Service Number: (844) 345-4277

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
There is a contact avenue here as well.

Customer service

The best thing to do is capture your engine VIN, or Serial number(s) and have your BRP dealer lookup any recalls, or safety bulletins.

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
There is a contact avenue here as well.

Customer service

The best thing to do is capture your engine VIN, or Serial number(s) and have your BRP dealer lookup any recalls, or safety bulletins.
Thanks Chris.....that is exactly what I have been doing. It has been a lengthy process. Here is the latest from another thread on my latest findings:

I spoke and corresponded with BRP Marine Division regarding Service Bulletin No. 2018-01(W) Rotax JPS Oxygen Sensor Failure Due to Water Intrusion (MPS). Updated phone number: (844) 345-4277 and email address: e2case@brp.com.

Although I have a 2016 Scarab with 2014 model year BRP motors, the service bulletin for catalysts and O2 sensors issues are confirmed recall/warranty work. They never provided any "time extension" on the warranty period but mentioned it had something to do with the emissions aspect. Email from BRP: "I did verify with the technical team the open recalls on your engines will be covered by BRP. Please take the boat to one of the dealers I provided. If your dealer has any questions, they can contact the BRP technical support team to guide them through the process."

Unfortunately, I need to haul my boat 2.5 hours north to Fort Worth for the work (no shop in Austin will work on a Scarab despite the common BRP motor). Although only 87 motor hours, I am considering replacing the superchargers (SC) with the updated maintenance-free models and changing the carbon seals if indeed the catalyst assemblies are going to be pulled (save on breakdown costs). With my motors being "AA" models, the SCs call for a 200hr rebuild. AK and later models (2017 timeframe) have the new SCs installed (which are reported able to backfit AA-AG models). Will update the forum as I work through the process.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I would suggest you get the catalytic converters sorted out under warranty prior to modifying the super chargers so you don't affect possible catalyzer coverage. They are a bit spendy on the COD side.

Capture.JPG

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
That’s exactly what I am doing. While the cats are being handled under warranty/pulled out of the boat, it gives the access to the SCs to remove/replace.

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
As follow-up, I just got my boat back from the dealer that did the warranty/recall work on my motors for the O2 sensor/catalyst issues. ZERO cost to me for the work, despite the warranty being expired (ie. recall work). They did not replace the catalyst nor replace the gaskets (only had to inspect gaskets). The dealer re-torqued the three-piece assembly per the recall details. I had one failed O2 sensor (I was aware when I took it in); however, the recall does not cover a replacement. I had a spare on hand and replaced myself as the dealer wanted $155. I did not replace the superchargers (SC) as the new models were on indefinite backorder. I should have two more boating seasons before I hit 200 hours so not a biggie. Attached are the three pages from the official recall information that the service department gave me.

Attachments