• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Yamaha 242 - Engine life - How many hours?

Krabi Sunset

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Assuming a boat is run in correctly, cared for and serviced appropriately and didn't spend it's whole life with the throttle wide open, all day... how many hours before one is looking at rebuilding the engines in a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S?

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My guess would be well over 1000, maybe 2000+. The non-HO MR1s in VX110 rental skis see those kinds of numbers. I would not consider a rebuild until you start seeing significant oil burn, and/or greatly reduced RPM.

Do regular maintenance, and check the service manual to see when things like timing chain, tensioner, valve adjustments, etc. should be done.

-Greg

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My guess would be well over 1000, maybe 2000+. The non-HO MR1s in VX110 rental skis see those kinds of numbers. I would not consider a rebuild until you start seeing significant oil burn, and/or greatly reduced RPM.

Do regular maintenance, and check the service manual to see when things like timing chain, tensioner, valve adjustments, etc. should be done.

-Greg
Does anyone know what the motor replacment, timing chain, valve adjustment runs ($$$) ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha boat engines are second to none. Keep in mind, unlike cars and trucks, marine engines are designed for "continuous duty" and can be run WOT all the time. Those Yamaha 1.8 and MR-1 engines are raw water cooled and maintain perfect operating temps at WOT as the cooling system works at its best.

I have known several commercial fishing operators in NE, they tend to run their o/b fleets approx 2,000+ hours, all WOT, and that's the "norm". Then re-power. If you worry about longevity - it's the maintenance and how the engines are used that's most important. I would take a well maintained high-hours all WOT yammie over one that's low hours but sitting around and possibly neglected, especially if used in salt water.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
welcome aboard Krabi!

as the others stated, it's a long ways out if even just the most basic of oil changes/flushing is done,

I also take solace in knowing the engines are in jet skis which are asked to do much more extreme rpm's swings and run harder than the boats

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I love the 1800 engines I have had supercharged and regular engines I do oil and filter every 50 hours plugs once a year average well over 150 hours a year, only had one timing chain fail on one at around 350 hours and Yamaha repaired it. There are some minor issues that usually require some attention as well as things to avoid or watch out for like anything mechanical but for the most part very reliable engines and pumps.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those Yamaha 1.8 and MR-1 engines are raw water cooled and maintain perfect operating temps at WOT as the cooling system works at its best.
--
I do oil and filter every 50 hours plugs once a year average well over 150 hours a year,
I've meant to ask why we are changing the plugs so often? Is it because the engines don't get hot enough and carbon builds up on the plugs? I assumed that raw water cooling is a problem for these engines when running slow or at normal cruise. I pulled the plugs this weekend on the 2013 I just bought. The boat has 97 hours on the engines, but the plugs have some build up and the appearance looks like the were beginning to rust (I assume they were never replaced, but all look exactly the same). I have new ones going in, but I'm not sure what to be looking for.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well I use my stuff constantly last year I spent 151 days on the water that is how I get so many hours . A set of plugs a year may not be necessary but it's just habit. I have several things I do before any new engine ever sees the water. I know I have done many posts listing those . If I can't get any more 1800 engines I probably will keep the ones I have longer than the usual 650 hours. I always put a 5 year warranty on my new skies and I log in that amount of hours in 4 years. That is because I have 2 and I alternate them each time I go out I use a different one . And I drive them very slowly and cautiously.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've meant to ask why we are changing the plugs so often? Is it because the engines don't get hot enough and carbon builds up on the plugs? I assumed that raw water cooling is a problem for these engines when running slow or at normal cruise. I pulled the plugs this weekend on the 2013 I just bought. The boat has 97 hours on the engines, but the plugs have some build up and the appearance looks like the were beginning to rust (I assume they were never replaced, but all look exactly the same). I have new ones going in, but I'm not sure what to be looking for.
I must say the spark plug replacement is a bit of a habit, not necessarily needed every year - in 1.8s. Mine look something like that, all the exact same:
upload_2018-4-10_23-54-38.png

Do those need to be changed? - probably not.

In MR-1s I think it is a different story - plug changes seem to cure a vast array of problems there, for reasons that are not completely clear...

--

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In MR-1s I think it is a different story - plug changes seem to cure a vast array of problems there, for reasons that are not completely clear...
Much of the problem I've seen comes from folks consistently overfilling the oil reservoir, and subsequently fouling plugs. When overfilled, oil will blow back in to the intake through the breather hose. Make sure the check the oil when the engine is well warmed up, and oil is pumped up back into the reservoir.

-Greg

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Mine lasted 150hrs before I ditched it...1.8L

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski Thanks for the photo. Mine don't look that good, reinforcing my contention that the plugs haven't been replaced since the boat was built. The new ones arrived this week from Summit Racing. I'll get to see if they improve performance. Having just moved from the MR-1's in my 2005 to the 1.8's in my 2013, I can vouch for the issues with plugs fouling and overfilled oil getting sucked into the intake and air filters. The 1.8's don't have either of these related issues.

Last edited:

Hubery07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I found this forum on the search for engine lifetime information, because I run a 242 LTD E- Series in my boat rental. It has now 1200+ h after 2 1/2 years. So far no problems with the engines. We do oil changes every 100h. 1000h inspection was done recently with no problems found.

The only major problem so far is the touch screen panel, which is not reacting properly anymore. We use the joy stick instead.

I hope this is precious information for all.users here.

Are there users with even more hours on the 1800 jet engines? Would be great if you share your experience here...

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Hubery07 Awesome feedback thank you! Are you doing plugs every year as well? I removed mine in fall during winterization and they look exactly like the picture above from @swatski. I fogged the engine and put back the old plugs for now (didn't want to foul new plugs). Will replace or not depending on how the engine runs when i start it back up in spring.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Hubery07 if it is not personal can you elaborate how you average 400 hours a year!!!! I am obviously doing something wrong :banghead:

Hubery07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Hubery07 Awesome feedback thank you! Are you doing plugs every year as well? I removed mine in fall during winterization and they look exactly like the picture above from @swatski. I fogged the engine and put back the old plugs for now (didn't want to foul new plugs). Will replace or not depending on how the engine runs when i start it back up in spring.
My mechanic replaced the plugs twice a year. Since we are located in Florida, we have rentals througout the year and no winterization is needed.
I guess this is also in favor for a long lifetime.

Hubery07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, I did not notice. Still though lots of hours; business must be good
Yes the boat ist in use about 100 days p.a.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stil
My mechanic replaced the plugs twice a year. Since we are located in Florida, we have rentals througout the year and no winterization is needed.
I guess this is also in favor for a long lifetime.
Thank you. That is not a lot of maintenance for this amount of hours! Very encouraging for all of us (I’m at 138hours)!