• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Yamaha SX190 or 2014 Yamaha AR210??

Thanks all, great comments and points...will be mainly on interior lakes but its nice to think the big lakes won't be an issue either. I don't feel I can go wrong with either option really, it looks like I already made the right choice to go Jet! Most of the feedback seems to be to go bigger with the family size and in terms of buying the second boat first - which makes sense of course. The main draw for the SX190 was more in terms of ease of towing and manoeuvring (being my 1st boat) but I expect I can get used to both of those (with practice...). To complicate matters, the dealer also has a 2014 212x...don't know much about the 2014 or if there where any major model changes to 2015 etc. Any thoughts? How do you like your 212x Englewoodcowboy?
So to update: 2014 AR210 or 212x???

The difference in towing is so minute I doubt that will be a problem. 500 lbs, 24" length and 6" width is almost nothing. As for maneuvering in the water, once you get the hang of it you will have more maneuverability with the twin engines. I actually have to work a little to turn my 192 in her length while a twin engine boat is a throttle adjustment.

Last edited:
I love my X. When I first looked to purchase I was looking at the 210's but my local dealer did not have any and had a SX192. I decided I wanted a tower so started searching for an AR192 and completely forgot about the 210's... Now the biggest difference between the 14 and 15 212X is the 15's have the new Sea Deck vs the other stuff and they have the new quieter motor mounts and coupler that the 15 240's received less that actual sound proofing. I do not know how much of a sound difference it makes but that is about it on differences. Personally the 1.8L motors are very nice and the difference between the 210 vs 212X is I believe 300 total HP in the 210 to 360 total HP in the 212.

That's food for thought...someone else had also mentioned the engines for the 210's were being phased out. So for 14' to 15' changes its mostly aesthetics (the new Sea Deck is nice...) and sound proofing (likely I can address this aftermarket...)

I'm still waiting to see how twin motors are safer. Anyways, I would get the 21' boat if I was in your situation. But please spare me about the safety factor. Most people wouldn't know what to do with one engine instead of two anyways. They would try and go full speed and crap the other motor with water ingestion.

I don't see the 210's returning due to the phasing out of the MR1 motor for emission standards I believe. I also anticipate the 21' lineup getting a complete change up to reflect the new 24' boats with the articulating keel and connect systems etc.
It will be interesting to see if the 210's return with twin TR-1 engines. They would be ridiculously fuel efficient (for boats).

I don't see the 210's returning due to the phasing out of the MR1 motor for emission standards I believe. I also anticipate the 21' lineup getting a complete change up to reflect the new 24' boats with the articulating keel and connect systems etc.

Yeah my fingers are crossed that they come back with a 210 with their new TR1 engines. If not, I will be either looking used or at another brand altogether. I don't really want to spend an additional 10k+ for more power or boat. For what I want it's just not worth it. The lesser powered 210s were right in my wheelhouse.

I've got to figure that with additional HP and a little less weight TR-1s in a 21' would make a nice runabout. Maybe the changes required from the 212 1.8s will be small enough to make it economically feasible.

I also anticipate the 21' lineup getting a complete change up to reflect the new 24' boats with the articulating keel and connect systems etc.

This is what I'd like to see.

I've got to figure that with additional HP and a little less weight TR-1s in a 21' would make a nice runabout. Maybe the changes required from the 212 1.8s will be small enough to make it economically feasible.

Hoping the stoppage is to just design a boat to match up with the TR1. I don't know the sales figures of the 210s, but I got to figure there is a sizeable market for a 21 foot boat that isn't high performance labeled. There has to be some other boring people out there like me that have no desire to go over 50mph, and cruising around with the family at 30-40 mph is plenty.

I'm still waiting to see how twin motors are safer. Anyways, I would get the 21' boat if I was in your situation. But please spare me about the safety factor. Most people wouldn't know what to do with one engine instead of two anyways. They would try and go full speed and crap the other motor with water ingestion.

If one engine doesn't work (rope ingestion, electrical issues, etc., etc.), you have the other to get back to shore under power. Seems safer to me than not having any power at all (and waiting at anchor for a tow or whatever).

I agree it's not safer in all cases/situations, but there are situations where it will be better/safer to have 2. Just sayin'... It's definitely not the #1 reason why I bought one with 2 engines, might not have even been in the top 10 reason. :)

Safer is not the word I would use, but being able to limp back to the dock vs waiting for a tow is worth something. Your point on a lot of people probably not knowing on how to run on one engine is valid, but I think most here are pretty educated since this forum offers so much information.

Does the phasing out of the MR-1 engines worry any recent MR-1 owners in regards to replacement parts. I realize they have great reliability but still crap happens. 5 years down the line I don't want to be SOL because I need a part Yamaha quit making.

Does the phasing out of the MR-1 engines worry any recent MR-1 owners in regards to replacement parts. I realize they have great reliability but still crap happens. 5 years down the line I don't want to be SOL because I need a part Yamaha quit making.

Not I... I can still get replacement parts for my 03 LX210 2 strokes and they sold a whole lot more of the MR1s. I suspect the hull will rot out before I have to worry about replacement parts for the motors.

BTW... I bought my LX210 because it had twin engines. I've limped home on one engine twice and been mighty happy that I could do so. Stuff happens... I still want to get home. :)

I also chose a twin engine (my first boat) for redundancy/safety considerations. If I lose one engine, I can at least get out of the channel on the ICW, if not limp all the way home. Boats zip down the ICW at 30-50 and I wouldn't feel comfortable for long sitting idle waiting for a tow....

That said, it's really redundancy I wanted, not so much the rare life safety benefit. I do keep two emergency clamps on board to allow me to run single engine, or be towed, without risking water ingestion in the non-operating engine(s).

Hopefully, I won't need that redundancy any time soon....

I've been lurking the better part of a year, so this is my first post. I am very much in the same situation. I have a family of 5 (3 small kids right now) I was originally looking at the 190s and then we had our 3rd and I switched gears into the 210s. I want to wait until the youngest is a little older before I buy a boat, but I was close to pulling the trigger on an AR190 when it we were just 4. My brother has a Scarab 195, and it gets crowded quick. I would definitely go 210 with a family of 5. I am hoping they bring back the 210s as I really like the Yamahas but don't really want to have to upgrade to the X to get the size I want.
If I were you @Ancient canoe I would buy a boat asap before you have a 4th. :). We'll keep you so busy with mods you won't have time for a 4th. Seriously though. We brought our 10 month old grand son and a 6 month old friend's child. They both fell asleep. Of course we had to keep it a little slower and a little closer to home but boating bonds...Go for it.

A 4th ain't happening or someone is going to have some explaining to do.

I was on the same fence. Buy a 190 or a 210?? I chose a used 210 and couldn't be happier. The room, power, etc. are very nice. I would recommend a 210.

Back