• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242 LSE vs 2013 212X Decision

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Some of you know that I'm in the middle of my @Betik style mad scramble to get a boat bought and prepped for Bimini... I thought (think) I was dead set on a 2016 242 LSE, or maybe not, Now I'm thinking a 2013 212X may be a better all around boat for me since I'd AT MOST be going to Bimini once a year.

No matter which boat, the first mod will be trim tabs. Then other "Bimini stuff". I like the idea of having the ballast on the 212X, but its always something I can add later to the 242. I like the "classy-ness" of the 242 LSE, but at the same time am afraid of ALL of the electronics. So another option would be to somehow add the stern seats to the 212.

Most of the use would be on local rivers (James and Potomac), lakes (Anna and Smith Mountain), and in the Chesapeake Bay... And of course once a year or so to Bimini.

Is the 212 going to be THAT much easier to handle at the dock and in tighter spaces than the 242 would be?
Is the 242 going to be THAT much better in the bay and to/from Bimini than the 212 is?

Any advice from those who have had or been on both would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to buy ASAP and am tired of going back and forth on this. lol

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: the reason that this post is year specific is because these are the two exact ones for sale right now that I have narrowed it down to.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tell myself that the new hull on 15+ units will cut waves better. But have no first hand experience of that.

And, something that seems small but I wish I had is the hinged seats.

If they’re close enough in price that you’re on the fence, I’d go ‘16 242.

My $.02. Happy hunting.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMO you should buy the boat that fits what you're going to do 99% of the time and not the boat that would be nicer to have that 1% of the other time (Bimini). If you don't have a big crew to use the space of a 24' then why get it? More weight to tow and longer/slower to move around in a parking lot and ramp. If you don't need 24' of boat and 21' would work for you and your crew 9 times out of 10 I'd say go for the cheaper boat. The 21' boats offer the best performance to weight ratio. The way Yamaha designs their boats most of the increased room is forward of the windshield. If you need or want the extra space in the bow for the 24' then go for it. Most passengers tend to stay in the cockpit area but maybe you have a bunch of kids or plan to have a larger crowd. Here's an overhead comparison image I did from my Moomba thread to give you an idea of size differences. The nice thing about the 2013 212X is that it has J-seating in the cockpit which gives you more room and makes it feel much larger than twin captains chairs of the newer boats.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this is a 90/10 question. If expect to be in larger bodies of water more then 10% of your usage get the bigger boat yes there should be a large difference in 24ft vs a 21 ft boat handling rough water. If you expect this to be less then 10% of the time the 21 ft boat would likely be just fine just a little rougher in big water. There should be a big price difference in those two boats though.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tell myself that the new hull on 15+ units will cut waves better. But have no first hand experience of that.

And, something that seems small but I wish I had is the hinged seats.

If they’re close enough in price that you’re on the fence, I’d go ‘16 242.

My $.02. Happy hunting.
yeah the price is a wash, OBVIOUSLY the newer 242LSE is more overall, but the monthly payments are the same.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yeah the price is a wash, OBVIOUSLY the newer 242LSE is more overall, but the monthly payments are the same.
Sure....but for longer periods :D

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a similar conundrum, though not rushing to Bimini this year, most likely next. For me, the watersports stuff on the X was just a detractor for me. I went 24' for the additional storage capacity, better rough water handling, and more comfortable lounging when we're just relaxing. Went Limited for some of the niceties (rear cushions, nicer upholstery, shower, stuff like that).

I would decide on 21 vs 24 before anything else - it's a decent difference. I understand the Chesapeake gets a bit rough, so you might be in bigger water more often than just headed to Bimini.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes if you're boating in big water often then get the biggest boat you can afford. I don't boat on big water or ocean-like lakes but I'm sure you'll want the biggest you can comfortably live with and tow if you boat on some big swell lakes often. Honestly I don't think I'd want a jetboat at all if that were the case. I'd want a boat would good dead rise angle, tall freeboard, self bailing, etc. the kind of things you'd want in an ocean-going vessel.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a similar conundrum, though not rushing to Bimini this year, most likely next. For me, the watersports stuff on the X was just a detractor for me. I went 24' for the additional storage capacity, better rough water handling, and more comfortable lounging when we're just relaxing. Went Limited for some of the niceties (rear cushions, nicer upholstery, shower, stuff like that).

I would decide on 21 vs 24 before anything else - it's a decent difference. I understand the Chesapeake gets a bit rough, so you might be in bigger water more often than just headed to Bimini.
YES the bay can get pretty rough, but honestly, I've been on Lake Erie in worse more often than I have in the bay. But, I was a little kid then and not driving (piloting the vessel for the sticklers) so it was just more fun for me... not realizing that I could die any second!!! hahahaha

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes if you're boating in big water often then get the biggest boat you can afford. I don't boat on big water or ocean-like lakes but I'm sure you'll want the biggest you can comfortably live with and tow if you boat on some big swell lakes often. Honestly I don't think I'd want a jetboat at all if that were the case. I'd want a boat would good deadrise, tall freeboard, self bailing, etc. the kind of things you'd want in an ocean-going vessel.
I wont be on "big water" too often, a few (3-6ish?) trips to the Bay a year, Bimini (once a year at most), and somewhere around Nags Head (not sure where yet) once a year, and probably Lake Erie a couple times a year. I'm definitely leaning more toward the 242 right now, but I'm just trying to do one last sanity check before I pull the trigger (likely this weekend).

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have you looked at @Blenderhead 212X for sale? It's a newer keel hull so it will supposedly handle rougher water better than the older hulls. If that's the case perhaps it handles about the same in rough water as the older 24' boats? His 212X has enough nice mods that I would overlook a little length (if you don't need the room) for the mods he has. The ride steady and wedge are both nice toys if you're into water sports.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
IMO you should buy the boat that fits what you're going to do 99% of the time and not the boat that would be nicer to have that 1% of the other time (Bimini). If you don't have a big crew to use the space of a 24' then why get it? More weight to tow and longer/slower to move around in a parking lot and ramp. If you don't need 24' of boat and 21' would work for you and your crew 9 times out of 10 I'd say go for the cheaper boat. The 21' boats offer the best performance to weight ratio. The way Yamaha designs their boats most of the increased room is forward of the windshield. If you need or want the extra space in the bow for the 24' then go for it. Most passengers tend to stay in the cockpit area but maybe you have a bunch of kids or plan to have a larger crowd. Here's an overhead comparison image I did from my Moomba thread to give you an idea of size differences. The nice thing about the 2013 212X is that it has J-seating in the cockpit which gives you more room and makes it feel much larger than twin captains chairs of the newer boats.

I was looking at this picture the other day, I'm so glad you made it. its one of the reasons I'm having the dilemma... so maybe NOT thanks.. hahaha. The biggest loss to me is the smaller swim deck, which isn't THAT big of a deal for me. But I do have a bigger family hence the toss-up I have me, the wife, 8yo, 4yo, and 6mo. plus probably 2 adults when we go to the lake since I don't think I'll be able to keep my aunt and uncle off of the damn thing, which is fine as long as they provide the booze. lol

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The lines on that picture indicate that the difference is pretty evenly split between an expanded cockpit and an expanded bow. If you're regularly going to have a half dozen people on the boat (and more importantly, all their stuff), I'd go 24.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you looked at @Blenderhead 212X for sale? It's a newer keel hull so it will supposedly handle rougher water better than the older hulls. If that's the case perhaps it handles about the same in rough water as the older 24' boats? His 212X has enough nice mods that I would overlook a little length (if you don't need the room) for the mods he has. The ride steady and wedge are both nice toys if you're into water sports.
Yes, and I LOVE his boat that thing is NICE!!! it unfortunately does not fit my specific price parameters. The reason my 2 boats are so different is that i can get the '16 242LSE (53k) minus an EXCELLENT trade in for my bike (that never gets ridden) or the '13 212X (36k) and keep the bike (cool but not necessary since I ride my other one more anyway) either way both will cost me $325/mo. this also answers your question about the price difference @robert843.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The lines on that picture indicate that the difference is pretty evenly split between an expanded cockpit and an expanded bow. If you're regularly going to have a half dozen people on the boat (and more importantly, all their stuff), I'd go 24.
That's what I'm thinking too... at a MINIMUM, I'll always have 2 adults and 3 kids, plus their friends as they get a bit older. That's what I worry about most with the 212. On top of that my wife is a compulsive "over packer" lol We could be going out for an afternoon and she would try to bring 5 days worth of food and drinks. hahahaha

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry I haven’t took you out for a test ride but obviously the weather has been nuts around here.

I would definitely buy the biggest boat you can afford. I boat the same waters that you will be boating and at times (lake Anna on any given summer weekend) can get rough with all the boat traffic. I go out by myself probably 1 out of 10 times and have no issues and the boat never feels to big. When my family comes along everyone has room to spread.

Other thing to consider is the storage space, I carry full time an EZ up, bbq grill, about 5-6 chairs, cornhole boards and at least a couple coolers and always have space.

For me the 24’ was a no brainer and have not had any issues with the electronics. Only electronic issue has been faulty Bluetooth and transducer but both not Yamaha’s fault.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As a former rider, you have quite the dilemma indeed :D

If I still rode I'd go for the 21' but if you think you'll have a larger crew you're going to want the extra breath room in the cockpit to move people to the bow so the 24' may be what you need if you're ready to hang up the riding boots.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry I haven’t took you out for a test ride but obviously the weather has been nuts around here.

I would definitely buy the biggest boat you can afford. I boat the same waters that you will be boating and at times (lake Anna on any given summer weekend) can get rough with all the boat traffic. I go out by myself probably 1 out of 10 times and have no issues and the boat never feels to big. When my family comes along everyone has room to spread.

Other thing to consider is the storage space, I carry full time an EZ up, bbq grill, about 5-6 chairs, cornhole boards and at least a couple coolers and always have space.

For me the 24’ was a no brainer and have not had any issues with the electronics. Only electronic issue has been faulty Bluetooth and transducer but both not Yamaha’s fault.
LOL yeah, that's why I haven't even tried to bother you about it. I was getting hopeful when is was 75, but now a week or so later its 32 and snowing!!!! Looks like we'll hook up (separately) on the lake soon though!!!!

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As a former rider, you have quite the dilemma indeed :D

If I still rode I'd go for the 21' but if you think you'll have a larger crew you're going to want the extra breath room in the cockpit to move people to the bow so the 24' may be what you need if you're ready to hang up the riding boots.
The boots aren't getting hung up just yet.... Bikes, Jobs, and Women are all alike.... always have a backup!!! hahahahaha

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on your post I agree with the others I would go 24ft and not look back but I also agree with @haknslash if I was planning Bimini every year and also boated around the bay and other things which I do as well just little further south then you I would really want a 24ft+ offshore boat. That is still my preference today but the family is out voting me so we have the 240 don't get me wrong I do like my boat but so many of the newer offshore boats come with family friendly features and seating that it still in my mind makes sense everyday to move up to one of those and we do not really fish at all but still think its the best boat for us. We finally found a model this year the wife found except able and the new agreement is three more years once my son if old enough she thinks she will feel comfortable him swiming behind a boat with a prop and understanding he has to watch out for it I will be moving up to a Sea Hunt 255 SE.