• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242 LSE vs 2013 212X Decision

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Based on your post I agree with the others I would go 24ft and not look back but I also agree with @haknslash if I was planning Bimini every year and also boated around the bay and other things which I do as well just little further south then you I would really want a 24ft+ offshore boat. That is still my preference today but the family is out voting me so we have the 240 don't get me wrong I do like my boat but so many of the newer offshore boats come with family friendly features and seating that it still in my mind makes sense everyday to move up to one of those and we do not really fish at all but still think its the best boat for us. We finally found a model this year the wife found except able and the new agreement is three more years once my son if old enough she thinks she will feel comfortable him swiming behind a boat with a prop and understanding he has to watch out for it I will be moving up to a Sea Hunt 255 SE.
GDI... don't give me anymore ideas, I've already at least decided on a Yamaha!!! That one looks pretty similar to the Mako that a friend of mine just bought, haven't seen it in person but it looks really nice in the pictures he sent me... and he frikkin stole it!!!! I definitely want more of a family boat than a fishing boat right now... but I have already priced out gunwale and tower mounted rod holders. lol this will be my family/surf/ski/wakeboard/fishing/offshore/whatever else I can think of boat hahaha or so I think anyway!!!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some of you know that I'm in the middle of my @Betik style mad scramble to get a boat bought and prepped for Bimini... I thought (think) I was dead set on a 2016 242 LSE, or maybe not, Now I'm thinking a 2013 212X may be a better all around boat for me since I'd AT MOST be going to Bimini once a year.

No matter which boat, the first mod will be trim tabs. Then other "Bimini stuff". I like the idea of having the ballast on the 212X, but its always something I can add later to the 242. I like the "classy-ness" of the 242 LSE, but at the same time am afraid of ALL of the electronics. So another option would be to somehow add the stern seats to the 212.

Most of the use would be on local rivers (James and Potomac), lakes (Anna and Smith Mountain), and in the Chesapeake Bay... And of course once a year or so to Bimini.

Is the 212 going to be THAT much easier to handle at the dock and in tighter spaces than the 242 would be?
Is the 242 going to be THAT much better in the bay and to/from Bimini than the 212 is?

Any advice from those who have had or been on both would be greatly appreciated. I'm ready to buy ASAP and am tired of going back and forth on this. lol

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: the reason that this post is year specific is because these are the two exact ones for sale right now that I have narrowed it down to.
Jeff - I am not one of the "buy your second boat first" people here, I bought my 2nd boat 4th - or something like that, lol. Regardless.

This is NOT EVEN CLOSE. Buy the 242.

Unless there is some reason to be more careful.

--

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Jeff - I am not one of the "buy your second boat first" people here, I bought my 2nd boat 4th - or something like that, lol. Regardless.

This is NOT EVEN CLOSE. Buy the 242.

Unless there is some reason to be more careful.

--
THANKS for the advice!!! That is the way I am leaning, like I said I just wanted to do a FINAL sanity check with more experienced boaters. The only thing that the 212X (that I'm looking at) is the factory ballast system, less electronics, and being a little smaller (not really an issue, just maybe more convenient but not a necessity).

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
factory ballast is not a problem. I am sure you can install one that is better and higher quality on your own. I feel bad for you bike, if they are giving you a good price for then that is good.
Either boats will take you to Bimini and back. One will be more rough than the other. You will be fine either way. This is a good problem to have.

PS. my wife will not let me have a back woman, so if there is a secret to it, I will love to know.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
factory ballast is not a problem. I am sure you can install one that is better and higher quality on your own. I feel bad for you bike, if they are giving you a good price for then that is good.
Either boats will take you to Bimini and back. One will be more rough than the other. You will be fine either way. This is a good problem to have.

PS. my wife will not let me have a back woman, so if there is a secret to it, I will love to know.
Those we're my thoughts as well, I can do an aftermarket ballast system WAY better than factory for a reasonable price (next year) and have all of the creature comforts and space of the 242 LSE now. I am also factoring in the trim tabs, chart plotter (which it already has), compass, VHF, antenna, etc... Not sure if I told you in the PM, but I can't sell the 30k+ bike right now for 15k, and they're giving me 13k in trade. Now that means I couldn't get them down much on the boat (only came down 1k on it) but are doing full detail (which is the norm), new trailer tires/trailer service, engine service, dealer cost (or better, still waiting to see on that) on the deluxe cover, and probably a couple other things I'm missing right now. So I at least don't feel like I'm getting screwed over on the deal. The only other cost that I have to factor in is the $600ish in gas (round trip) and $120 u-haul trailer to take the bike down. Either way I feel like I'm getting a fair deal on it... and a mini-vacation to Key Largo since I'm going to stay for a few days since I'm doing the 17 hour drive anyways. lol

As far as the wife goes, I unfortunately don't have a spare right now either, the current wife would NOT go for that either hahahahahaha but its good "in theory"!!!!!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
CJ at Lectrotab is waiting to take your order on the tabs LOL

as long as you are happy, who cares for a $1000 here or there. Please be careful with the new boat and do not go overboard like you did with the bike. Hate to see you ending up puting $25K on it and trading it in for $30K.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
CJ at Lectrotab is waiting to take your order on the tabs LOL

as long as you are happy, who cares for a $1000 here or there. Please be careful with the new boat and do not go overboard like you did with the bike. Hate to see you ending up puting $25K on it and trading it in for $30K.
Not worried about that, it seems like the quickest way to lose $10k on a boat is on audio stuff which I have no plans on (for now) lol. My mods will be more sensible and serve a practical purpose.... well other than maybe a sub and amp for now. hahahahahha..... and I wonder why I'm always broke!!!!!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FWIW, you should be able to do better than 53K on the '16LSE. I'd come at them hard at 50-51 with a check in hand. I bet they take it and run.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
FWIW, you should be able to do better than 53K on the '16LSE. I'd come at them hard at 50-51 with a check in hand. I bet they take it and run.
I've tried, but they're overpaying about 6 grand on the bike, so its the best I can get them to. The best trade offer I got from anywhere else has been 9k.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I walked out on my dealer twice here in fort Myers Florida last year. My 2017 ar240 was $54999 plus tax and fees. I told them that I wanted sales tax, dealer fees and all accessories included out the door for I believe it was $52000. They kept telling me that it wasn't going to happen until i wrote the check out and told them I'll rip it up and go elsewhere. I got the premium cover, anchor kit, fenders, ropes, 4 life jackets (not the orange ones) emergency kit and 2 watercraft II oil kits included. That was the last time I saw my dealer a year ago as I was pulling the boat away from their lot :D:D