• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 190 FSH Sport Mechanical Issue

2MinutesForHooking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Was up on plane today running across the lake and had the engine abruptly start rumbling and shaking the boat. Tried to shut it down and restart, but anything above idle the boat starts vibrating pretty rough.

Checked the clean out for any stuck debris, but beyond that I can't find anything obvious.

Anyone with mechanic experience shed some possible light?

Haven't called the dealer yet, but that's probably the next step. Boat is at 90 hours and have never had any other issues or signs of trouble in the time I've owned it

I bought it with 10 hours on it back in March 2019, and had the oil changed and boat winterized back in October.

Been running it since March in Michigan, and have put around 20 hours on it so far this season.

If there's another section to post this in as well, let me know !

Thanks!!!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’d start by checking spark plugs, make sure coils are plugged in tight. At almost 100 hours it’s due for new plugs, assuming they haven’t been done. Something immediate says either you sucked up something or electrical.

2MinutesForHooking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’d start by checking spark plugs, make sure coils are plugged in tight. At almost 100 hours it’s due for new plugs, assuming they haven’t been done. Something immediate says either you sucked up something or electrical.
Appreciate the response, at this point I’m going to get the 100 hour service done and if that takes care of this issue at the same time I’d be thrilled!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Many of us here change plugs annually, or every 50 hours. Seems like these things eat up plugs. I don’t know about the 1.8’s, but a lot of Yamaha issues are cured with fresh spark plugs. I‘d just do a quick visual too, make sure every electrical connector is engaged fully. Check battery connections too, sometimes they can come loose.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I suggest taking another look at the impeller from both sides. Lift the bucket and usea flashlight. A mirror helps when looking from the intake side. It doesn't take much to jam in there and cause vibrations.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Sounds like a stick or something in the impeller. Just happened to me last week. Reached in from the clean out port and found small chunks of wood chopped up and caught between the impeller and wear ring. Was a pain to reach in and back to get everything out, but it solved the problem.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just had the same thing happen. We've had a ton of rain lately and last weekend on the way back to the dock going up the river the boat lost power and acted just as you described. We were able to idle in. When I got home I was able to get my hand through the intake grate and as i ran my finger along the edge could feel something wedged at the bottom of the pump. Decided to pull the pump off and low and behold there it was. Easy fix. Took me all but 20 minutes total.

Attachments

2MinutesForHooking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did the old Discount Double Check or Triple and finally saw this guy sticking out from the impeller, musky pliers were the ticket and drove back out to the lake for a test run. Crisis averted. My first thought was always some sort of debris because I’ve experienced it on a friends Yamaha with a chunk of wood, but I could not, for the life of me, find anything. Thanks everyone for the quick responses!!!

1DFE1A36-B496-4AB4-8531-98329C4B5504.jpeg

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Glad you found out what the issue was. Going back to the spark plugs, I always had mine winterized but never summerized and that is the cycle that they replace the plugs if you have the Yamaha maintenance package. I noticed that I could get back to 8000 RPM after replacing the plugs, before I could only get to about 7500 RPM. So Dixie Highway has a point about these boats being hard on plugs.

2MinutesForHooking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Glad you found out what the issue was. Going back to the spark plugs, I always had mine winterized but never summerized and that is the cycle that they replace the plugs if you have the Yamaha maintenance package. I noticed that I could get back to 8000 RPM after replacing the plugs, before I could only get to about 7500 RPM. So Dixie Highway has a point about these boats being hard on plugs.
Great to know, I’m still due for 100 hour service in 10 hours, which won’t take long for me to get to, so that will be an opportunity to address anything that needs to be done

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Twice on two different skis with the 1.8 plugs went bad. Change the plugs every 50hrs.

Engine will sound like it stumbles on acceleration

Hector Leiva

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Was up on plane today running across the lake and had the engine abruptly start rumbling and shaking the boat. Tried to shut it down and restart, but anything above idle the boat starts vibrating pretty rough.

Checked the clean out for any stuck debris, but beyond that I can't find anything obvious.

Haven't called the dealer yet, but that's probably the next step. Boat is at 90 hours and have never had any other issues or signs of trouble in the time I've owned it

I bought it with 10 hours on it back in March 2019, and had the oil changed and boat winterized back in October.

Been running it since March in Michigan, and have put around 20 hours on it so far this season.

Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!
Had same issue with my 2017 190FSH a couple of times shortly after I purchased new.i would turn engine off check the clean out would not find anything would restart engine and it would be fine. It has not happened in a long time. Mine acted as if it the engine was chocking and the boat would shake and rumble. I attributed to not property seating the clean out plug.

gkallevig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
What are the stock plugs for the fsh 190 with the 1.8? For some reason i search and really don't find anything. I don't have an owners manual.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
NGK - LFR6A 6668