• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR195 Steering Cable Replacement

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Started this season with very stiff steering. I tried to grease the cable from both ends with no improvement. Has anyone had to replace there steering cable on their 19 foot Yamaha yet? Are there any videos on here to help with install? I found the cable on Amazon For $170 and should be delivered this Thursday. Just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of before I start this project? Thanks.

Jeepinjeff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Wow, well I just joined the page today to literally ask the same question. I have the exact same boat. Mine will let me turn right just as crisp as new but when I turn to the left it is just a very slow turn. There is a sleeve that goes over the top of the steeering cable where it comes out of the boat and attaches. That sleeve just slides loose so I'm sure that's probably my issue. Just am not sure if I need a whole new cable or if there's a clamp or something that has come off.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Wow, well I just joined the page today to literally ask the same question. I have the exact same boat. Mine will let me turn right just as crisp as new but when I turn to the left it is just a very slow turn. There is a sleeve that goes over the top of the steeering cable where it comes out of the boat and attaches. That sleeve just slides loose so I'm sure that's probably my issue. Just am not sure if I need a whole new cable or if there's a clamp or something that has come off.
Mine is really tight both directions. I noticed it start getting tight late last season. Sitting over the winter just made it get way worse. I thought it was getting greased when I had it winterized, but I think it's too far gone to fix.

Jeepinjeff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just ordered mine from Amazon today. It won't be here until Monday sadly so no boating for me this weekend. If you wouldn't mind, please reach out to me when you get yours completed. I'd love to hear any tips or tricks or suggestions when you're complete. My email is jeepinjeff@hotmail.com if that's easier.

21752932_10154688712412397_5061310422841019271_o.jpg

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just ordered mine from Amazon today. It won't be here until Monday sadly so no boating for me this weekend. If you wouldn't mind, please reach out to me when you get yours completed. I'd love to hear any tips or tricks or suggestions when you're complete. My email is jeepinjeff@hotmail.com if that's easier.

View attachment 122069
No problem. Hope to attack it this weekend. Also installing Ride Steady this weekend so I have a full days work coming.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I installed the steering cable this weekend. The hardest part was getting the outer nut off near the impeller. You will need an o2 sensor socket. With this it took about 30 seconds to remove. Pull the cable out near the helm. Remember or mark the location of the nuts on the old cable and just duplicate it on the new one. I went from needing 2 arms to muscle the wheel to being able to steer with a finger.IMG_5969.JPGIMG_5963.JPGIMG_5964.JPGIMG_5966.JPG

Jeepinjeff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Awesome! Thank you very much. That will be helpful! I got my cable in and ordered that socket yesterday that I will probably only use once in my life. Hopefully. :D

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Awesome! Thank you very much. That will be helpful! I got my cable in and ordered that socket yesterday that I will probably only use once in my life. Hopefully. :D
Any questions just ask. I used 3M 4200 to seal it on the inside and the outside. This way if it needs to be replaced in the future I will be able to remove the sealant. I figure the first cable started to get stiff at about 100 - 110 engine hours. I dealt with the stiff steering the end of last season and the first 2 outings this season. What a difference, I can't wait to get back in the water and not get a workout making a turn!

Jeepinjeff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Got her done today. Hardest part was getting the bolt on the back out due to the Thrust Vector spring that is installed there. Getting the ones at the wheel were no picnic either with the tight quarters. I attacked it both from above through the gauges as well as below under that front seat.
Was just getting dark when I tightened the last bolt so will put her in the drink tomorrow to make sure everything is right before I take the kids aboard for a day of tubing.
Thanks again for the guidance!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed the steering cable this weekend. The hardest part was getting the outer nut off near the impeller. You will need an o2 sensor socket. With this it took about 30 seconds to remove. Pull the cable out near the helm. Remember or mark the location of the nuts on the old cable and just duplicate it on the new one. I went from needing 2 arms to muscle the wheel to being able to steer with a finger.View attachment 122742View attachment 122743View attachment 122744View attachment 122745
Thinking about changing mine but I'm confused and don't see how the O2 socket gores around nut if cable rod end is in the way?
How do you first pull cable and leave just the nut?
One thread guy cut and welded 22mm socket with long shaft to slide over cable to get to nut.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thought I'd post tool here for anyone wanting to try it.
Accomplishes running cable end out of open end of socket to get to nut. Ingenious

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The socket I used has an open slot on the side to fit around the cable
I didnt notice slot in picture from OP to understand.
Once I searched I understood how socket goes over cable and nut.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did anyone have a problem getting enough threads through the transom to get the nut started? I can get it started without the washer but it seems like there should be more threads available. I'm so desperate, I might ask the wife to help push from inside to take up that 1/8" of slack. But she's the kind of person who doesn't like to sweat and it's sweat season here in Florida. Other ideas; Remove the washer on the inner bulkhead, Find a thiner nut from Granger, Or buy a new boat.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did anyone have a problem getting enough threads through the transom to get the nut started? I can get it started without the washer but it seems like there should be more threads available. I'm so desperate, I might ask the wife to help push from inside to take up that 1/8" of slack. But she's the kind of person who doesn't like to sweat and it's sweat season here in Florida. Other ideas; Remove the washer on the inner bulkhead, Find a thiner nut from Granger, Or buy a new boat.
I think I answered my own question. I removed the inner washer which allowed the inner nut settle into the opening, (almost like it was designed that way) LOL. I gained a ½ inch of threads on the other side. I guess the extra washers are for another application maybe?

Mmusquiz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I have some rust on mine. Turning is very tight going both ways. Did anyone try to clean or greasing before replacing?

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have some rust on mine. Turning is very tight going both ways. Did anyone try to clean or greasing before replacing?
I think once they get tight they are too far gone for grease to bring it back. I saw some you tube videos of some guys trying to pump grease into them, but that look harder than replacing it with a new one. This is my 2nd season since replacing and it still feels like new.

MarcRob

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you replace the steering cable with the OEM or the teleflex brand?

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Jimmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I need to replace my steering cable on my AR192. Does anyone have a video or know where to find a video on how to accomplish it? It doesn't look that complicated, but I would like to see it accomplished before I head out to attempt mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.