• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR195 Steering Cable Replacement

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Typical. Rap it a few times good. I have also used DBond on the inside silicone.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it is stuck on there and you have the nuts off, than it is sealant. If someone else owned the boat before they may have used 3M 5200 on it as some recommend, which is not a proper solution since it is also and very strong adhesive..

Anyhow, DeBond is a solvent for adhesive and bonds. Spray it a few times and let it sit. You could also use other types of adhesive solvent.

Debond Marine Adhesive Remover | Boat Outfitters

Andrew Vishnevsky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thank you for the info. I am the only owner of the boat. Purchased new. What do you suggest to use as a sealant? I bought 4200 is that good?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes 4200 is good. 5200 is a bit too permanent imho for that applicaiton

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I may have to replace the steering cable on my 2019 AR195, the sleeve has popped out of the transom part and the cable just flexs/ binds when trying to turn left at high speeds. I may try to pop the cable back in and put a clamp on the metal thru transom grommet and hope for the best

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I may have to replace the steering cable on my 2019 AR195, the sleeve has popped out of the transom part and the cable just flexs/ binds when trying to turn left at high speeds. I may try to pop the cable back in and put a clamp on the metal thru transom grommet and hope for the best
You should replace the full cable. The last thing you want is for something to lockup or bind when you least expect it.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should replace the full cable. The last thing you want is for something to lockup or bind when you least expect it.
Ya know, if simply spending 500$ was the cure to the issue for good I would have absolutely no problem with it but seeing as how there has been no redesigns or fix from Yamaha to prevent what is obviously a common pattern failure I think I'd rather see if I can do a better job at finding a lasting solution. I personally find it unreasonable to replace my steering cable every 100 hours.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya know, if simply spending 500$ was the cure to the issue for good I would have absolutely no problem with it but seeing as how there has been no redesigns or fix from Yamaha to prevent what is obviously a common pattern failure I think I'd rather see if I can do a better job at finding a lasting solution. I personally find it unreasonable to replace my steering cable every 100 hours.
Totally get where you are coming from. The cables I got aftermarket have been very solid and no issues in the last couple of years.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors where did you find your cables at? I was in no way implying I was against the aftermarket options I just have not found any options for my AR195. They can't possibly be any worse than the OE cables lol.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here is my full thread, issues, attempts to resolve, purchase and installation. Long read.

2020 AR210 Stiff Steering | JetBoaters.net - The World's Largest Jet Boat Forum!

Anyhow, here is my cable, but I have twin engines. They will have one for your boat. No complaints. SBT

Steering Cable for Yamaha 212 Series AR 210 SX 210 F3R-U1470-00-00: ShopSBT.com

I believe, PLEASE VERIFY, that this is the cable for your boat. You could call them up and verify. $193.30

Steering Cable for Yamaha SX/AR 190 F3A-U1470-01-00: ShopSBT.com

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Steering cable for my 2022 SX195 is SSC16015 from Dometic (19’ boats). Not sure if they changed the design from 2017 to 2019 current models. You will need to look behind the helm and see if it’s a rack style or a not. Seems the “factory” cable is a steel core and rusts/binds but the “upgraded” cable is a composite core and doesn’t have the same problem.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Steering cable for my 2022 SX195 is SSC16015 from Dometic (19’ boats). Not sure if they changed the design from 2017 to 2019 current models. You will need to look behind the helm and see if it’s a rack style or a not. Seems the “factory” cable is a steel core and rusts/binds but the “upgraded” cable is a composite core and doesn’t have the same problem.
Im almost certain mine is a rack & pinion style. I could not find anything by searching that part number but did see this come up..
?
Looks like that just replaces the entire steering system, is that what yall are ending up doing? I'm not sure the factory steering pinion gear on the Yamaha boats will match up but I suppose if it comes down to it I can always just install the one that comes in the kit.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Im almost certain mine is a rack & pinion style. I could not find anything by searching that part number but did see this come up..
?
Looks like that just replaces the entire steering system, is that what yall are ending up doing? I'm not sure the factory steering pinion gear on the Yamaha boats will match up but I suppose if it comes down to it I can always just install the one that comes in the kit.
here is my write up for when I replaced my cable.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
?
Mine was a complete unit with the rack and pinion

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

Declan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi, replacing the cable on my ar195. The sleeve over the old cable just outside the hull detached and would just slide to rear of the cable. When turning left at high speeds the jet would just get pushed back toward center because the cable was buckling where sleeve should've been. I jerry-rigged it for this past summer by cutting a piece of rubber mat and using two hose clamps to keep the sleeve in place. Anyway got the new OEM cable after almost a year on backorder. I now have the new cable in place and reattached at the steering column. However, before I finish at the stern, had some questions. When removing silicone from inside, it seems like there might have been a black rubber grommet on the inside against the hull in front of the inside nut. Did anyone notice the same and should there be a rubber grommet or washer there? Also for new silicone (4200) do I just load it up on threads and hole from inside before pulling cable back? The rubber end of the sleeve on new cable looks dainty and probably why it detached on old one. Anyone try to secure it with something on new install to make sure it stays in place? Thanks.

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi, replacing the cable on my ar195. The sleeve over the old cable just outside the hull detached and would just slide to rear of the cable. When turning left at high speeds the jet would just get pushed back toward center because the cable was buckling where sleeve should've been. I jerry-rigged it for this past summer by cutting a piece of rubber mat and using two hose clamps to keep the sleeve in place. Anyway got the new OEM cable after almost a year on backorder. I now have the new cable in place and reattached at the steering column. However, before I finish at the stern, had some questions. When removing silicone from inside, it seems like there might have been a black rubber grommet on the inside against the hull in front of the inside nut. Did anyone notice the same and should there be a rubber grommet or washer there? Also for new silicone (4200) do I just load it up on threads and hole from inside before pulling cable back? The rubber end of the sleeve on new cable looks dainty and probably why it detached on old one. Anyone try to secure it with something on new install to make sure it stays in place? Thanks.
I don’t remember a rubber grommet anywhere. I believe there was just a washer on the inner and outer side of the transom. Once attached, I put 4200 around the steering cable on the inside of the transom to seal water from coming in.

Declan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don’t remember a rubber grommet anywhere. I believe there was just a washer on the inner and outer side of the transom. Once attached, I put 4200 around the steering cable on the inside of the transom to seal water from coming in.
Thanks. There was only a metal washer on outside of transom when I removed the old cable, none on the inside. I think what I saw on the inside was silicone that turned black being against inside wall of transom. Got new cable installed and hopefully water tight when I put in the water.