• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 SX195 Steering Lockup

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Grabbed the boat for the first time in three weeks. Steering was completely frozen in place (even tho it’s 91 degrees here). I was able to break it free to the right but when the helm is in the straight position, turning left is stuck solid like it’s hitting a positive stop. I detached the steering linkage and tried pumping oil into the sheeth using an air compressor, but no luck. Anyone else had this issue, not just 19ft model? About to hit the dealer up but trying to self fix so it’s not in que for months. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So the cable or the helm are the suspects strange that a cable would go bad that fast check on the helm perhaps some bolts came loose and it is binding up because a disconnected cable moving one way but not the other seems a bit odd. Especially when left is pulling and right is pushing ,

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I went under the dash and was able to turn the wheel both ways. I can see the actuator screw move that is attached to the cable when turning right, but again, turning left it binds and freezes just after rudder center. I checked for any twists or kinks in the cable from what I can see, all looks good. I have a feeling it’s going to be something stupid and minuscule.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does your under dash look this 2017 SX190?

2017 SX190 Steering Cable Dash.jpg

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Unfortunately it does not, this photo looks like a more simplified version of what I have. I called the dealer down here in Clearwater Fl. where I purchased the boat from, and he said Yamaha will not warranty the steering cable (at 25hrs) because its in saltwater and most likely corroded inside the steering cable sheath. The said to buy a cable myself and try to install it, and if I can get a Yamaha OEM cable, it will run roughly $700 in labor to remove the old one and install the new one.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Roger that. My friend out here had to replace his steering cable (dual motors) and it was BIATCH to find the cable. I've changed a few Yamaha PWC cables and it's not that hard so if you can get the cable yourself and you have the time you could probably do it in a day.

Good Luck on it!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Status update… I dropped the rack and pinion from behind the helm, and disconnect the cable from the pump. Pump moves freely as it should when disconnect. When pushing the cable in, the pinion moves from straight to full turn. When pulling the cable, the pinion only moves back to center. Pinion is greased and moves freely. Rubber boot by the 22mm nut on the transom does have a pin hole as I can see oil / water spraying when I push and pull the cable. Realigned everything and put back together with no changes.
Here’s the next question. The dealer told me if the cable is bad or has corrosion Yamaha will not warranty it. When I looked up the Yamaha warranty details, it states they will cover parts for 1 year due to defect or craftsmanship. If there is a boot leak allowing water to leak into the cable sheeth, that’s a defect. They will not cover consumables such as filters, oil and spark plugs. Boat is 6 months old with 25 hrs. I have a hard time believing that they will not cover a steering cable because the boat is in salt water? Tomorrow morning I head to the dealer to hash this out!

Attachments

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok now its time for the next step. Do yourself a favor and locate the proper cable from a supplier so you know who has one on hand and ready to ship if Plan A does not work.

Plan A call Yamaha direct and get a hold of a Customer Service Rep and don't let up. Your Warranty is through Yamaha not the Dealer. If all else fails drop back to Plan B and get that part shipped out to you before it's snapped up.

Good Luck with this!

harmanst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Status update… I dropped the rack and pinion from behind the helm, and disconnect the cable from the pump. Pump moves freely as it should when disconnect. When pushing the cable in, the pinion moves from straight to full turn. When pulling the cable, the pinion only moves back to center. Pinion is greased and moves freely. Rubber boot by the 22mm nut on the transom does have a pin hole as I can see oil / water spraying when I push and pull the cable. Realigned everything and put back together with no changes.
Here’s the next question. The dealer told me if the cable is bad or has corrosion Yamaha will not warranty it. When I looked up the Yamaha warranty details, it states they will cover parts for 1 year due to defect or craftsmanship. If there is a boot leak allowing water to leak into the cable sheeth, that’s a defect. They will not cover consumables such as filters, oil and spark plugs. Boat is 6 months old with 25 hrs. I have a hard time believing that they will not cover a steering cable because the boat is in salt water? Tomorrow morning I head to the dealer to hash this out!

I have a 2022 195S and my steering cable became stiff after my maiden voyage. Turns out the rubber boot which covers where the steering cable support shaft connects to the threaded transom pass through was never slid over the joint, so water immediately got into the cable housing and seized it. As I have no faith in my Dealer for fixing this issue (and they charged my $1,000 prep fee for this new boat stating it was ready to go), I reached out to the OEM for the cable Dometic (used to be Sea Star). They arranged for and RMA and shipped me a brand new cable assembly in two weeks. You can go to the Dometic website and get the e-mail address to send them an e-mail with your Hull ID # and a copy of your sales receipt from your Dealer to prove the boat age and that it is under warranty. I worked with Jim.Corday@dometic.com and Roseann.Stauffer@dometic.com , they were very helpful, but they are also over worked and may not respond to you quickly (give them a couple days). I received the cable and replaced it myself in a couple hours. The cable is part # SSC16015B and is only sold directly to Yamaha. You can also buy it online, it is Yamaha part # F4C-U1470-00-00 but it is on back order everywhere for a few months...

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Fantastic, thank you for the info! I dropped the boat at the dealer (Barney’s Motorcycle and Marine St. Petersburg Fl.) today and he stated it most likely will not be covered under warranty but he can’t understand why the wheel will go full right with ease and no drag or grinding but won’t go back after engine center. He said give them a couple days to look into it and he will call me with the diagnosis. If it’s not under warranty, I will replace it myself. In any event, I have a $237 dealer diagnosis fee for looking into it.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If the boot was not properly set it’s on the dealership and if it’s a defect as you mentioned the pinhole it’s on Yamaha. Either way you’ll need to prove it but if you can then the labor and parts should be covered.
BTW I bought my SX195 there last month and use it on the ICW and steering is fine so far but I’ll be taking a close look at it today.

keep us posted on progress

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Waterpusher
Go on YouTube and see how they show you to oil the steering cable from the steering linkage. I did this and Barney’s was specific in looking to see if the cable has been oiled. I also spray all pump moving parts with XPS corrosion spray after every use to try and be proactive instead of reactive. Some air compressor fittings, hose clamps, 3/8” ID hose and motor oil. There is no grease fittings. As I’m an engineer, this is a poor design and a little engineering work on Yamahas part this could be better designed.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Having been on these web pages for many years I am seeing a pattern with the 19 foot cables going bad way sooner than they should so I wonder why

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Looking back at early posts and this problem has been going on for more than a decade. It’s obvious that Yamaha needs to seal it and provide a grease fitting inside to allow periodic lubrication

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
My '21 had an incorrectly mounted rubber seal at the stern. Hopefully I caught it in time.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Status update- From Yamaha not the dealer.
I was able to get ahold of Yamaha Boats customer relations today and expressed my issue I am having with my steering on my boat. After giving my VIN and looking up the sales date, we spoke about the issue I am having. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes to look up some info in regards to the warranty. When he came back he said he spoke with a guy in the boat department and stated the Yamaha factory warranty will cover “component” related items for 3 years on new boats and 90 days on commercial boats and this is considered a component. As this is 6 months old, he said he sees no reason on why the cable would NOT be covered. I said I was told that Yamaha will instantly reject the warranty claim if the cable has any sign of rust, corrosion or water and stated that the cable is designed to see water and is below the water line. He did agree that it should not go bad if oiled regularly and taken care of that this sounds like a manufacture/ Yamaha factory issue. Now I have to wait for the diagnosis from the dealer and have them submit the claim…. More to come!

Waterpusher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Sounds like Yamaha is going to do the right thing here! What’s puzzling to me is that if the cable requires lubrication how did it freeze up after a short period of time if it was lubed as part of the setup fees? Surely “the dealer” water tested it in the bay so they knew it needed to be done from the start. Anyways, I’ll be doing mine soon just in case they didn’t.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
5/18/22 update
I spoke with the dealer today, below is what was stated from the technician.
“Disconnected steering linkage from the pump, pump moved freely left and right. Disconnected the steering cable from the steering wheel and steering wheel moves freely left in right with no binding. Reconnected the steering wheel and pump linkage and steering kinked when turning left as stated from the customer” no photos taken to support findings.

Above just cost me an additional $237 for them to tell me what I told them.

Now, I personally spoke with a Yamaha Consumer Relations Monday and they told me the cable would be covered under the component warranty (3yrs) for personal usage. Service advisor stated he would submit the paperwork to his supervisor for review of warranty, but then stated if they dive further into it and find rust the warranty does not apply. Sounds like warranty information is being “selected” by the dealer and not the manufacture. Here’s the kicker, I didn’t tell the dealer I spoke with Yamaha already and am waiting to hear what they come back with on “warranty” repairs before I call their bluff. I feel that the dealer is wanting to up charge me the steering cable and charge me out the transom (for a lack of better words) for labor opposed to Yamaha sending them the cable and most likely have a set allotment of time / funds that they will pay the dealer to perform the work.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Boats only 6 months old, they should do the right thing you would think. Unless all the servicing was done by the dealer they can be real a holes to deal with. Citing corrosion due to improper maintenance, blah blah blah. I would also think that who you discuss warranty issues with in customer service, has an interest in customer relations, and the conversation follows that etiquette. However the claims rep that the dealer has to pursuade is probably much more scrutinizing on whether or not to approve the claim. They also work in the shadows of the corporate structure, where they are sheilded from having to deal with pissed off owners. Hope this goes your way.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5/18/22 update
I spoke with the dealer today, below is what was stated from the technician.
“Disconnected steering linkage from the pump, pump moved freely left and right. Disconnected the steering cable from the steering wheel and steering wheel moves freely left in right with no binding. Reconnected the steering wheel and pump linkage and steering kinked when turning left as stated from the customer” no photos taken to support findings.

Above just cost me an additional $237 for them to tell me what I told them.

Now, I personally spoke with a Yamaha Consumer Relations Monday and they told me the cable would be covered under the component warranty (3yrs) for personal usage. Service advisor stated he would submit the paperwork to his supervisor for review of warranty, but then stated if they dive further into it and find rust the warranty does not apply. Sounds like warranty information is being “selected” by the dealer and not the manufacture. Here’s the kicker, I didn’t tell the dealer I spoke with Yamaha already and am waiting to hear what they come back with on “warranty” repairs before I call their bluff. I feel that the dealer is wanting to up charge me the steering cable and charge me out the transom (for a lack of better words) for labor opposed to Yamaha sending them the cable and most likely have a set allotment of time / funds that they will pay the dealer to perform the work.
The dealer is a clown. I don't like how they are handling this at all.