• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR210 TR1 motor reviews

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok my mistake, my port side is the higher RPM side as well. What do you mean by the RPMs fall back?
When you place the throttles say around 5500 and the port side rpm would drop to about 3000, starboard engine would stay at 5500 thats what I'm calling fall back.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they are the same pitch you would think it would hit 7900 but it still hits 7400.
The two impellers do not hit the same RPM because they are the same pitch. Strbd pump tends to load more efficiently in twin Yamahas due to intake angles and direction of impellers' rotation.

There are some good articles published on this topic by the "Group K". Older literature, but still right on (water still flows downhill).

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you place the throttles say around 5500 and the port side rpm would drop to about 3000
May need to adjust the tension screw - in the throttle base.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They wont do whats in the faq. If anything they would replace the throttle quadrant if your lucky and it will have the same issue.
I did the repair in the faq at 5 hours or so on my boat. Couldnt stand it dropping off.
I crimped the part instead of using the tape method and its been flawless for over 60 hours so far

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They wont do whats in the faq. If anything they would replace the throttle quadrant if your lucky and it will have the same issue.
I did the repair in the faq at 5 hours or so on my boat. Couldnt stand it dropping off.
I crimped the part instead of using the tape method and its been flawless for over 60 hours so far
Cool, thanks for the heads up!! I don't need another loose one placed in the boat by the mechanics at my boat shop. I'm not sure if they can go to the restroom by them selves. Pretty bad when they don't know how much oil an engine takes and what kind. I'll do it myself following post.

seabass2020

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you place the throttles say around 5500 and the port side rpm would drop to about 3000, starboard engine would stay at 5500 thats what I'm calling fall back.
Ok thanks. Mine doesn't do this at all.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know I'm reviving an old thread here but any updated review on the reliability and performance of the TR-1s? Also, it is a NA motor right, so standard 87 octane? Thanks folks.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they are NA engines designed to run on 87. I've got a 2019 so I can't give you long-term reliability but performance is on par with what you expect. I knew I wasn't getting a 50MPH boat going in. I can get low 40s but it takes a while, but that is not how I boat so it's a non factor. I stick in the zero to 30 range and it's absolutely fine there. You can do some digging around the FSH boards as well as the 21' have the TR1s.

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know I'm reviving an old thread here but any updated review on the reliability and performance of the TR-1s? Also, it is a NA motor right, so standard 87 octane? Thanks folks.
Yes the engine is naturally aspirated and will run on regular pump gas. I've had mine since 2017 and have had no issues, but I run boat gas (91 alcohol free). I did change the spark plugs to iridium so I don't have to change them every year. For some reason they eat plugs. I have the sx210 and with a full tank of gas, coolers and, 3 adults and a 12 year old it will run 44mph. Never tried with just one person. It will come up on plain fast. And is good on fuel economy well very good in fact.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes the engine is naturally aspirated and will run on regular pump gas. I've had mine since 2017 and have had no issues, but I run boat gas (91 alcohol free). I did change the spark plugs to iridium so I don't have to change them every year. For some reason they eat plugs. I have the sx210 and with a full tank of gas, coolers and, 3 adults and a 12 year old it will run 44mph. Never tried with just one person. It will come up on plain fast. And is good on fuel economy well very good in fact.
Thank you Jetti. Appreciate your feedback and good to hear since you are in Indiana as well (Greenwood here) and we are the same altitude. There are not boats available right now but I have decided to trade my 2017 pontoon (90 HP) to a Yamaha when the season is over and the 2021s arrive or I can get a good deal on a 2017-2019 used with low hours. I initially planned on a 19ft but I saw a 21ft on the lake this weekend and it was a perfect size for my family, looks smaller on the water than on trailer. I need upper 30's to 40 mph, this is plenty for our use. Great to hear your speed history and experience with the SX210. I also heard that 2 motors is better for tubing when making turns comparing to a single engine and cavitation.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they are NA engines designed to run on 87. I've got a 2019 so I can't give you long-term reliability but performance is on par with what you expect. I knew I wasn't getting a 50MPH boat going in. I can get low 40s but it takes a while, but that is not how I boat so it's a non factor. I stick in the zero to 30 range and it's absolutely fine there. You can do some digging around the FSH boards as well as the 21' have the TR1s.
Thanks, same here. Most of the time in 25-30s mph and perhaps reaching upper 30s but not frequently.

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you Jetti. Appreciate your feedback and good to hear since you are in Indiana as well (Greenwood here) and we are the same altitude. There are not boats available right now but I have decided to trade my 2017 pontoon (90 HP) to a Yamaha when the season is over and the 2021s arrive or I can get a good deal on a 2017-2019 used with low hours. I initially planned on a 19ft but I saw a 21ft on the lake this weekend and it was a perfect size for my family, looks smaller on the water than on trailer. I need upper 30's to 40 mph, this is plenty for our use. Great to hear your speed history and experience with the SX210. I also heard that 2 motors is better for tubing when making turns comparing to a single engine and cavitation.
Zionsville here. What lake do you go to? We have the boat stationed at Patoka lake. Twin engine does help with the loss of speed when turning I think. First jet boat I've ever owned. I did suck up a rope is weekend but it was when we were leaving a party cove to go tubing. The clean out ports are amazing in my eyes now. Jet boats do take some getting used to, but there is a bunch of addons to compensate for some of the idle speed controls.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Zionsville here. What lake do you go to? We have the boat stationed at Patoka lake. Twin engine does help with the loss of speed when turning I think. First jet boat I've ever owned. I did suck up a rope is weekend but it was when we were leaving a party cove to go tubing. The clean out ports are amazing in my eyes now. Jet boats do take some getting used to, but there is a bunch of addons to compensate for some of the idle speed controls.
Lake Monroe in Bloomington. It will be a change for me going from a 24' pontoon (Crest with 90HP Suzuki) but with a teenager and a 11 yr. old, they want to go tubing all the time and the pontoon at low 20's mph is not cutting it anymore. We also have a small family and don't need a 24ft pontoon really. Did you add any idle speed controls on your SX210? How is fuel consumption if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lake Monroe in Bloomington. It will be a change for me going from a 24' pontoon (Crest with 90HP Suzuki) but with a teenager and a 11 yr. old, they want to go tubing all the time and the pontoon at low 20's mph is not cutting it anymore. We also have a small family and don't need a 24ft pontoon really. Did you add any idle speed controls on your SX210? How is fuel consumption if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
I added cobra fins to the back of mine. They help with low engine speed turning, but it's still not like having a prop in the water. I recommend finding a buoy were its its quiet and practice pulling up to it around it from all different angles. Helps in the long run. We go boating 4 weekends out of 6 due to work, and probably boat about 5 miles each way to a from a cove with some tooling around here and there. The boat has a 50 gallon tank and I have problems emptying the tank for the season. If you are tubing, expect much different results, probably half a tank for a 4hrs depending on punishment level. Kids aren't much into tubing much lately (double tube), they prefer to swim, eat and listen to music. The speakers suck in the sx210, I did upgrade them and add an amp. 1000% better sound and I can hear the music while crusing now.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I added cobra fins to the back of mine. They help with low engine speed turning, but it's still not like having a prop in the water. I recommend finding a buoy were its its quiet and practice pulling up to it around it from all different angles. Helps in the long run. We go boating 4 weekends out of 6 due to work, and probably boat about 5 miles each way to a from a cove with some tooling around here and there. The boat has a 50 gallon tank and I have problems emptying the tank for the season. If you are tubing, expect much different results, probably half a tank for a 4hrs depending on punishment level. Kids aren't much into tubing much lately (double tube), they prefer to swim, eat and listen to music. The speakers suck in the sx210, I did upgrade them and add an amp. 1000% better sound and I can hear the music while crusing now.
By the way, love the color combo on your SX210, that grey looks classy.

TS4811

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I am on my 4th season here with a 2017 SX210 With TR1 engines and they have been nearly effortlessly to maintain and totally trouble free.
The boat is well powered and handles really well. I have added the JBP Thrust Vectors and Reverse Thrusters and she maneuvers in our river currents confidently. I am very pleased with the TR1’s for sure.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am on my 4th season here with a 2017 SX210 With TR1 engines and they have been nearly effortlessly to maintain and totally trouble free.
The boat is well powered and handles really well. I have added the JBP Thrust Vectors and Reverse Thrusters and she maneuvers in our river currents confidently. I am very pleased with the TR1’s for sure.
Thanks for this feedback. Nice to hear some long term real life usage data like the one you just gave. Looks like a perfect boat for me and my family :) Can you reach mid to high 30's on a calm lake day? Do you use regular 87 octane gas? Thanks again.