• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee good tow vehicle?

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a 2017 212X, I also need a tow vehicle. Right now the one I like the most is a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, what do you guys think about this vehicle towing the 212x?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how far do you normally tow to put it in the water? what's the farthest you would anticipate towing the boat?

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Normally about 15-20 miles. On the rare occasion I decide to tow it down to the Keys then it would be more than 100 miles. However that would be once in a blue moon!

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 RWD, towed our boat 18ft no problem at all...also towed our 5,600 lbs travel trailer plenty of times on 4-6 hour trips. I dont see any problems. We now have a Durango for towing...7 passenger...but basically same drivetrain.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow my 242 about 4k miles per year with my 2012 Grand Cherokee. It has the 5.7L Hemi and the 6 speed transmission. I have had no problems.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm planning on getting the V6, has about 6,500 towing capability so I think I should be ok.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
had a nice lady at the ramp yesterday say, "that's a pretty small vehicle for such a big boat, ever have trouble?" i was like, it's AWD with a HEMI ...plus it has a Class IV and trans cooler.
my fave ramp is relatively steep: sitting on the ramp incline, i use the hand brake, of course. to pull the boat out, i tap the shifter down to a low gear. holding the brake pedal with my left foot and easing into the gas with my right (just like a clutch, to prevent that little coast backwards). after i climb out, i tap back to the high gear. always looks smooth and i've never had a worry. also, in the beginning i did (due to newbie caution), but i've started using the Tow/Haul feature much less since it's so flat here. it's certainly no diesel F450, but i've had no complaints or issues.

i bought my Cherokee specifically as a boat towing vehicle - i'm just not a pickup sort of guy (everyone i work with has a pickup truck like a bad cliche). with that in mind, i took my time to find a well-maintained WK Limited with the 5.7L and Class IV. however, there are people everywhere towing 23-24' boats with Wranglers - i own one of those too and it looks really tough, but i don't think i would use it except in an emergency. my point there being, a properly set-up Grand Cherokee will work just fine. oh, and the previous owner of my boat towed it across Florida with a Kia Sorento! 3500lbs towing capacity.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 with the V6 and it tows the 21' just fine and gets good mileage when I don't tow. If I had the 24', I'd get the Hemi.

Don't let the dealer talk you into an aftermarket hitch receiver. If it doesn't have the tow package, move on to one that does.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a V6 GC and only use it to tow the boat. No issues with it...our normal tow is only 5 miles each way but we did use it to tow for the Cooper River run last year which was around 300 miles. We still have it but I would like to upgrade to a HEMI or EcoDiesel just for newer features.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Let me look into the EcoDiesel. Want to stay away from the V8 Hemi

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I actually don't see the EcoDiesel as an option on any of the models

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, I don't see the Hemi as an option for the Altitude model either, and that's what I have. It may be different now than it was 5 years ago, or they may not list all available options on the website. If the Ecodeisel was an option back then, I would have bought it.

Side note, I get about 10mpg while towing and about 21 on the highway without the boat. Around town, it's about 15.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely trying to stay away from the Hemi, I have a Tesla Model S now, so trying to get the best MPG possible on a vehicle capable of towing the boat

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Jeep GC Summit Diesel and it is a great tow vehicle. It has plenty of torque to accelerate and when towing on the highway, feels very stable. The vehicle is rated to 7,200lbs and the boat with trailer is around 5,000lbs so it isn't maxed out for stopping. I get around 12-15 mpg when towing.

Find my older thread about my 2014 GC and the troubles that I had, but I loved that car (before the engine seizure and manufacturer buyback) and the new one too. I believe all troubles associated with new diesel engine have been worked out.

My 2015 has 20K on it and running strong!

Eric

DSC01636.JPG DSC01636.JPG

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unfortunately I don't see the diesel as an option anymore. Either V6 or V8 Hemi

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 EcoDiesel 1500 and its great for towing these boats (<10k#). Same engine is also put in the Grand Cherokee except that....ALL 2017 "light duty" diesel trucks and SUVs are on hold due to changes in the EPA regulations.

I think the manufacturers are stalling in hopes that Trump will relax the regulations. Otherwise we'll probably be looking at early-2018 models with new emissions programming. Stay tuned....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The government has put a hold on all the eco diesel sells for 2017. They are trying to do to Chrysler what they did to volkswagon.. although it is two different situations. I have a friend that has the jeep with the eco diesel from a few years ago and they love it! I have not read any word in when the government will let up and allow them to be sold. Maybe look for a 2016 and see if any have the eco diesel..

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
+1 for ecodiesel :)

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I always lease, if I decide to go for the older year I might have to buy. Anyways my current lease isn't up until early 2018 anyways. So there is still some time for the government to release the hold and / or the 2018s come out.

Thanks for the information!