• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Surf Stream Wake Enhancement

Alan Olive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know the purpose of the new "surf stream wake enhancement" feature. How will it enhance the wake?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know, but am curious. Do you have any pics or a description of what it is?

--

Alan Olive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, I have a bunch of pics I will try and post. Kind of hard to see against the black. I talked to my dealer and they had no explanation. From what I can see there is two plates that mount under the back deck, one on each side. They sort of hang out each side and look like they are supposed to dump some water into the jet stream. I looked it up in the Scarab parts list, you can buy the plates, but it says the mount is customer made.

Alan Olive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pics I took off a 2017 215 HO

IMG_6034.JPG
IMG_6024.JPG IMG_6031.JPG IMG_6032.JPG IMG_6033.JPG

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Alan Olive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First time seeing this.

Is it on a Scarab Wake?
These are on a 2017 215 HO Impulse 400 hp....not a Wake...

They are listed as option "Surf Stream Tabs"

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Anyone have any more info on this? Always interested in improving our wave (although it's pretty good already).

RAKAJARA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is it possible to add the Surf Enhancement System to a 2015 HO Impulse at the dealer or elsewhere? Just looks like a crude Trim Tab to me...

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any ideas as to the intended purpose? It looks like it pulls water in from alongside the hull and directs it across the stern, but to what end?

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll be darned. That is not something I've seen before...!

I guess it could work somewhat similar to the wake wedge by @jcyamaharider?

--
@swatski it was at the boat show in STL we watched the dealer show how to put it on the boat. Since then never seen anything more about it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski it was at the boat show in STL we watched the dealer show how to put it on the boat. Since then never seen anything more about it.
Yeah, whatever happen with that?? I forgot about it!
Looking at it, no idea if this would even work.

I'm ready to buy the Wedge, ideally if you guys would help me set the boat/ballast up.

I may keep the boat at least till Spring and then decide. Fixing it is costing me a lot of money but Yamaha will pay for it one way or another. Should be back on the water maybe this week, I've had quite a few things to fix after Bimini.

--

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski Yeah not a peep since it looked heavy and awkward in person is what I remember. Anytime we don't have too much time left seems the weather wants to start getting cooler. We are going to Shelbyville the last time with the boat on Sept 15th weekend if you wanted to come up and boat with us.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, whatever happen with that?? I forgot about it!
Looking at it, no idea if this would even work.

I'm ready to buy the Wedge, ideally if you guys would help me set the boat/ballast up.

I may keep the boat at least till Spring and then decide. Fixing it is costing me a lot of money but Yamaha will pay for it one way or another. Should be back on the water maybe this week, I've had quite a few things to fix after Bimini.

--

Not a problem @swatski . We can get you setup.

I think the device is actually supposed to be a delayed converhebce device but u have never seen one in action.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Does anyone know the purpose of the new "surf stream wake enhancement" feature. How will it enhance the wake?
We are actually purchasing a 2018 255 wake and it's being delivered from the manufacturer Thursday, there is a "newer" version of the "surf tab" we added to the option.

I haven't seen any good videos of the wake, but I hope to find out this weekend. We also bout an extra 800lbs ballast bag on top of that ballast that's already provided.

RAKAJARA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

We are actually purchasing a 2018 255 wake and it's being delivered from the manufacturer Thursday, there is a "newer" version of the "surf tab" we added to the option.

I haven't seen any good videos of the wake, but I hope to find out this weekend. We also bout an extra 800lbs ballast bag on top of that ballast that's already provided.
Hello, can you provide any details after your trip on the effectiveness of the "surf tab", please? I'm considering adding something to enhance the wake on my 215 HO Impulse.

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hello, can you provide any details after your trip on the effectiveness of the "surf tab", please? I'm considering adding something to enhance the wake on my 215 HO Impulse.
Hi there! I thought the surf tab was GREAT, such a difference. I didn't get a chance to take a video, was too busy playing around with it. The boat came with 1, 100 lbs ballasts, we added additional 800lbs ballast at the back (depending on which side you are wakeboarding/surfing on) and 2 passengers weighing roughly 250lbs total, give it a nice, higher wake. We've noticed that if you maneuvered the boat slightly left to right, but still heading straight, the wake becomes smoother, less white wash on top. We originally looked at the Chaparral because of their wake stream, but the downfall was that it was a permanent fixture.

I'll have to take a video soon, most if the times we've been out, the lake was pretty choppy.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi there! I thought the surf tab was GREAT, such a difference. I didn't get a chance to take a video, was too busy playing around with it. The boat came with 1, 100 lbs ballasts, we added additional 800lbs ballast at the back (depending on which side you are wakeboarding/surfing on) and 2 passengers weighing roughly 250lbs total, give it a nice, higher wake. We've noticed that if you maneuvered the boat slightly left to right, but still heading straight, the wake becomes smoother, less white wash on top. We originally looked at the Chaparral because of their wake stream, but the downfall was that it was a permanent fixture.

I'll have to take a video soon, most if the times we've been out, the lake was pretty choppy.
That's awesome. Could you post some pics of the devise mounted? Does it mount on the surf or the non-surf side?

--

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm just taking a wild guess since it is hard to tell from the pics, but... is the device funneling water and directing it at the jet streams? So instead of knocking down some of the wash with plastic or rubber like the wake wedge devices, you are doing it with water? Like fighting fire (water) with fire (water). :rolleyes:

ApelilaRains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That's awesome. Could you post some pics of the devise mounted? Does it mount on the surf or the non-surf side?

--
Scarab will provide you with a "set" of surf tabs(2 - 1 left, 1 right), and it can be placed on which ever side you will be on. I'm sure it can be placed on both sides, but I'm not sure how that will look like or how the boat would ride. It's mounted (as per the pic I attached) with two screw type locks. What my husband has also done, he just created a rope with a latch to connect to the handle when mounting/unmounting them in case it's dropped.

Attachments