• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha 212X vs. Vortex Chapparal 223VR w/Aerial Surf Platform

Yamaha 212X vs. Vortex 223 VR w/ASP

• Yamaha 212X

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Vortex 223 VR w/ASP

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

MKMNMP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
We are in the process of buying our first jet boat. We live on an inland lake and have three boys that enjoy watersports. We would appreciate any insights/suggestions as we have narrowed our decision to either the Yamaha 212X or the Vortex 223 VR with the aerial surf platform by Chapparal.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Probably both awesome boats. Does the chaparral have clean out ports like the Yamaha does to clean out gunk/stuff without having to swim underneath the boat? Love that feature on the Yamaha and it saved my butt about 6 times last summer from having to swim under the boat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no one answer... Right now Yamaha has the biggest market share, so you will likely get more votes for the 212. But in reality, it is a very personal decision. Is there a chance you could water test both? That would most likely make you go one way or the other.
Yammies may be a little easier to service especially if you do your own maintenance. There is only one choice of the engines in the 212, with Rotax you have several options. If you go with the Chap, good dealer support seems to be a key to happy ownership.

--

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Yammies may be a little easier to service especially if you do your own maintenance
This is the only thing I disagree with. Basic (oil, filter, plugs, anything you would do to winterize a jet boat) maintenance on the Chaparral is very easy to do yourself.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Both are nice boats. One thing I'd inquire about on the Chaparral, is the supercharged rotax motor service intervals. I know on our 2012, the service interval on rebuilding the superchargers, is every 2 years or 100 hours. This is a very important maintenance item and shouldn't be ignored (it could be stretched, but not by much and not while under warranty I'm sure). The expense if you remove the chargers yourself (pretty easy) and send them off to be rebuilt is $435 each . I just did mine at $870. Definitely something to consider when comparing the two.

MKMNMP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for the insights. @NewBoater - the chaparral DOES NOT have clean out ports like the Yamaha. This is frankly our biggest concern about the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the only thing I disagree with. Basic (oil, filter, plugs, anything you would do to winterize a jet boat) maintenance on the Chaparral is very easy to do yourself.
Not if you have a supercharger. Most people send those out to be rebuilt. But, yes, sure.
EDIT: I guess that topics has been covered, above.

--

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have a chap 243 and haven't had any problems with clogging up. A little throttle and whatever is sucked up while going idle spits out without a problem. One time last season after a storm I had to jump in the water to clean out some seaweed. I've been on similar sized yammies and personally didn't like how low I felt when seated inside. Again, all personal preference and either way you win!

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
the new SCer rebuild time is 200hours. A boat takes a lot less stress than a Seadoo Ski so I would not be so hesitant to push it to the 175 mark then start thinking it is time. BUT the bearings are completely the same in both SCer rebuild kits. On my seadoo ski's I would do them at 100 hours period as they take so much more stress than a boat. What I mean by this is the CLutch has more chance to actually slip and be worked in a ski, but a boat wont come unhooked or slip as much. Now on my new 300's they have the new 1630 ACe motor with the maintenance free SCer. All New 2017 models will have them. But IMO a SCer is never maintenance free.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a chap 243 and haven't had any problems with clogging up. A little throttle and whatever is sucked up while going idle spits out without a problem. One time last season after a storm I had to jump in the water to clean out some seaweed. I've been on similar sized yammies and personally didn't like how low I felt when seated inside. Again, all personal preference and either way you win!
Those are very good points. What can be rather confusing, and comes down to personal preference, the gunnels are way taller on the Yammies but also have higher sitting deck, which is self-bailing. The Rotax boats lack the scupper feature, which is fine on inland lakes but could be a concern for a small vessel going out to sea.

--

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Now on my new 300's they have the new 1630 ACe motor with the maintenance free SCer. All New 2017 models will have them. But IMO a SCer is never maintenance free.
I've heard this too. I also heard by "maintenance free" they mean they have a replacement schedule, no rebuild. Have not heard anything about replacement pricing yet. No one has yet to confirm this that I have seen.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We are in the process of buying our first jet boat. We live on an inland lake and have three boys that enjoy watersports. We would appreciate any insights/suggestions as we have narrowed our decision to either the Yamaha 212X or the Vortex 223 VR with the aerial surf platform by Chapparal.
I shopped for the Yamahas for years before I pulled the trigger on the Chap. (Happy wife, happy life). She just liked the trim and look of the Chap over the Yamaha. No cleanout plugs. That lack of ability last year stopped us for days as we tried to get a tube rope out of the impeller. I now have a dedicated rope guard. Something to think about for you. I do like the intercoolers. I've read that the recent Rotax engines don't require a rebuild until about 200 hours. I'm sure it's in the Rotax section.

The owners manual is HORRIBLE. Noise isn't too bad. It does turn heads whenever we're on it and it's a great conversation piece.

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I've heard this too. I also heard by "maintenance free" they mean they have a replacement schedule, no rebuild. Have not heard anything about replacement pricing yet. No one has yet to confirm this that I have seen.
Cost is just under $800 for a 300SCer. Retail over a grand. Suxs. But we have to pay to play/

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Cost is just under $800 for a 300SCer. Retail over a grand. Suxs. But we have to pay to play/
Sux even more if your boat is a twin. That's twice the price of the current rebuild, although the service interval is slightly longer, but it's still an expensive maintenance hit at $1600+

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would be hard to mentally justify $1600 of preventative maintenance on a boat with 200 hours. Especially if you don't put a huge amount of hours/year on the boat. May be manufacturer's sneaky way of pushing you into a new boat after so many years of use. Planned obsolescence perhaps?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ugh...200 hrs and $1600?! We put on about 100 hours a season....i can't imagine if i got hit with that cost every couple of years. Very happy with our 212x....no issues at all.

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well Who knows how long the maintenance free SCer will go. Remember it has a new hybrid Bearing. So we cant say it is a 200 hour Cost. Ill try and look in the manual and see replacement time if any,

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Well Who knows how long the maintenance free SCer will go. Remember it has a new hybrid Bearing. So we cant say it is a 200 hour Cost. Ill try and look in the manual and see replacement time if any,
True, but who wants to be the guinea pig to see how long they last when, if they fail, will do some major engine damage. Not sure I'd be willing to risk a $5K+ motor for an $800 part.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those are very good points. What can be rather confusing, and comes down to personal preference, the gunnels are way taller on the Yammies but also have higher sitting deck, which is self-bailing. The Rotax boats lack the scupper feature, which is fine on inland lakes but could be a concern for a small vessel going out to sea.

--
I'm pretty sure the Rotax boats have dual scuppers which are bigger than the Yamaha(you can see in the photo below) I'm pretty positive they don't go to the bilge @BobJohnson can you confirm this.
IMG_1591.PNG